Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3" Corvette Exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2013, 04:40 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dr_whigham
It helps. Trust me. I think the deciding factor for me will be me getting, if ever, a definitive answer on

1) 1 7/8" primaries on a Vette,
2) how tri-Y fits into the mix
3) what the insides of both mufflers look like from Big 3 and XSPower.
Definitely run 1 7/8 even on a 346 build. You lose nothing and only gain everywhere.
Old 10-25-2013, 05:26 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by WKMCD
Definitely run 1 7/8 even on a 346 build. You lose nothing and only gain everywhere.
Then why does everyone in the Corvette Bubble day otherwise? That's what's baffling me! Even manufacturers are saying it.

It seriously throws me off. That's why I was wondering if it was due to primary length or collector placement or what.
Old 10-25-2013, 06:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JakeFusion™
XSPower... meh.

But the system looks fantastic. And it's cheaper than the LG "Big 3" but more expensive than the Borla or B&B.

C6s have a much easier time. All the Z06 exhausts are 3" and that's a direct swap onto their cars.
It's an increase in size from our Z06 exhaust as well. It's 2.5" all the way back.

It helps. Trust me. I think the deciding factor for me will be me getting, if ever, a definitive answer on

1) 1 7/8" primaries on a Vette,
2) how tri-Y fits into the mix
3) what the insides of both mufflers look like from Big 3 and XSPower.

Then why does everyone in the Corvette Bubble day otherwise? That's what's baffling me! Even manufacturers are saying it.

It seriously throws me off. That's why I was wondering if it was due to primary length or collector placement or what.
Here's the deal, LG' are now made in China, and the quality is not as good. Also, instead of flanges, the LG's use clamps, and leak constantly. The O2 bung placement is also where they frequently burn the 02 sensors. This said, when right, they are still the best power producer.

The Tri-Y's are awesome looking, and when I was in the market, they didn't yet have them available for the C5. Also, these too have the O2 bung placement where they can frequently get burned.

ARH and. Kooks. Basically the EXACT same. They use flanges for fitment, so there isn't leak issues, and the O2 Bung placement is on the top outer section of merge so they fit where the O2 bung won't get burned, and will run right against the firewall.

Also, on the Vette forum, the reason all C5 owners go w/ 1 3/4" headers is pure group think. Go 1 7/8" and don't look back.
Old 10-25-2013, 07:15 PM
ctd
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

You need to do some digging in the C6 CF section. There was build that did not include 1 7/8's & was 1 3/4 LG pro's. A little power disappointment because he did not go with 1 7/8's, so he thought. The thread was done very well & LG stepped in offered up the 1 7/8's & the owner went thru the motions. I don't remember if the power improved in the top end, I think it did slightly, but the drive ability, midrange was an immediate note worthy backwards step.

Just sayin
Old 10-25-2013, 07:53 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Originally Posted by 427zm
It's an increase in size from our Z06 exhaust as well. It's 2.5" all the way back. Here's the deal, LG' are now made in China, and the quality is not as good. Also, instead of flanges, the LG's use clamps, and leak constantly. The O2 bung placement is also where they frequently burn the 02 sensors. This said, when right, they are still the best power producer. The Tri-Y's are awesome looking, and when I was in the market, they didn't yet have them available for the C5. Also, these too have the O2 bung placement where they can frequently get burned. ARH and. Kooks. Basically the EXACT same. They use flanges for fitment, so there isn't leak issues, and the O2 Bung placement is on the top outer section of merge so they fit where the O2 bung won't get burned, and will run right against the firewall. Also, on the Vette forum, the reason all C5 owners go w/ 1 3/4" headers is pure group think. Go 1 7/8" and don't look back.
Then LG's are out. Period. I read about the leak issue as well. I didn't know they were made in China now, but I guess Borla or Corsa actually makes them, and now that's overseas, so it makes sense.
Old 10-25-2013, 08:00 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Originally Posted by ctd
You need to do some digging in the C6 CF section. There was build that did not include 1 7/8's & was 1 3/4 LG pro's. A little power disappointment because he did not go with 1 7/8's, so he thought. The thread was done very well & LG stepped in offered up the 1 7/8's & the owner went thru the motions. I don't remember if the power improved in the top end, I think it did slightly, but the drive ability, midrange was an immediate note worthy backwards step. Just sayin
That just doesn't make sense to me. There was a thread here a while back, few years, where a guy claimed he lost power with a FAST 102, and even had the sheets to prove it. Too many variables. Who was the tuner? Underlying issues with car or build?

I'm more inclined to agree with 427m on this. There's an absolute CROWD there, with Phabt included, that say you'll lose power with a 7/8" primary. HOW IS THAT POSSIBLE? All F-Bodies improve with the bigger primary, everywhere.

This leads me to believe it has to be a length or collector location (so far away, and primaries being so long) issue.

TSP is the only company I'm aware of to actually conduct a back to back test.

I need to just call Geoff @ EPS (my tuner) New Era, Vengeance... Some shops that actually BUILD cars, not headers, and pick their minds on what they've seen. They build and tune. They'd be the ones to know.

Corvette Forum... It seems more full of sponsors and bandwagoners than folks that actually turn wrenches and race their cars.
Old 10-25-2013, 08:12 PM
TECH Addict

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

I only had a Y pipe for a short time. I switched to duals and NEVER looked back. Loved them.

Plans for now are full intake and exhaust, some good heads, intake, and a medium stick from FTI.

Future plans are an A&A kit with a YSI, and a shortblock to accommodate it. Then matching heads... It never ends
Sounds like a solid plan. Gunna have Ed custom spec you a cam?

I'm looking to get into a c5 in a few years and I'd like to just do exhaust clutch and blower to keep it simple lol.
Old 10-25-2013, 08:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

That just doesn't make sense to me. There was a thread here a while back, few years, where a guy claimed he lost power with a FAST 102, and even had the sheets to prove it. Too many variables. Who was the tuner? Underlying issues with car or build?

I'm more inclined to agree with 427m on this. There's an absolute CROWD there, with Phabt included, that say you'll lose power with a 7/8" primary. HOW IS THAT POSSIBLE? All F-Bodies improve with the bigger primary, everywhere.

This leads me to believe it has to be a length or collector location (so far away, and primaries being so long) issue.

TSP is the only company I'm aware of to actually conduct a back to back test.

I need to just call Geoff @ EPS (my tuner) New Era, Vengeance... Some shops that actually BUILD cars, not headers, and pick their minds on what they've seen. They build and tune. They'd be the ones to know.

Corvette Forum... It seems more full of sponsors and bandwagoners than folks that actually turn wrenches and race their cars.
The 1 7/8" headers gain, and I have friends with dyno graphs back to back to show it. The thought over there is 1 3/4" keeps torque up, which is true, down low, but up top, top the 1 7/8" carry out higher and longer.

And yes, the Vette forum is a different feel for sure. There's even more group think there than here! Watch the C6Z forum. I think it's the worst. There are really 2 head porters/ builders that get 98% of the business due to rep from the forum.
Old 10-25-2013, 09:01 PM
The Scammer Hammer

I was more inclined to throw the proverbial caution to the wind and say the hell with it and go with 1 7/8" regardless, but it's nice to hear folks have been there done that. ARH is what I'm leaning towards. Even Pfabt says the bigger primaries lose power, which is making me veer away... But damn that tri-Y setup is intriguing.

Yes, the cam will come from Ed. If for some crazy reason I ever have to drive a Carolla, Ed Curtis will grind me a damn cam for it
Old 10-26-2013, 12:09 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Pretty sure I've made up my mind on the ARH 1 7/8" headers and 3" off road X pipe.

All that remains is a decision between Big 3 or the XSPower that Huron Speed sells. Hell, I might grab a pair of 3-2.5" adapters and see if my Corsa "opens up" with the headers and ORX. I'd like to keep it, but damn. That 2.5" sucks.
Old 10-26-2013, 12:42 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The 3 inch pipes don't leave much clearance as they pass over the axles. If the fit is just a little off, they will hit. The LG's come in a few pieces so you can move them if you have to and then tack weld them in place so they don't move. I have one friend who tried a set of the XS early on and spent a lot of money and time trying to make them fit before he gave up.
Old 10-26-2013, 01:10 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Originally Posted by WKMCD
The 3 inch pipes don't leave much clearance as they pass over the axles. If the fit is just a little off, they will hit. The LG's come in a few pieces so you can move them if you have to and then tack weld them in place so they don't move. I have one friend who tried a set of the XS early on and spent a lot of money and time trying to make them fit before he gave up.
Advice taken, and noted. Thanks for the info!
Old 10-26-2013, 05:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I'd investigate the Pfadt Tri-Y headers further. When I looked at the specs for the tubing size it list 1 3/4" (primary) & 2.0" (secondary) tube diameters for their 1-3/4" headers, and 1 7/8" (primary) & 2 1/8" (Secondary) tube diameters for their 1-7/8" headers. I believe this would classify them as stepped headers.
Old 10-26-2013, 06:15 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Originally Posted by 99Bluz28
I'd investigate the Pfadt Tri-Y headers further. When I looked at the specs for the tubing size it list 1 3/4" (primary) & 2.0" (secondary) tube diameters for their 1-3/4" headers, and 1 7/8" (primary) & 2 1/8" (Secondary) tube diameters for their 1-7/8" headers. I believe this would classify them as stepped headers.
Saw that today. When I was combing the sponsor sales on CF, I saw Gene Culley from GM Parts Depot had dropped Pfadt from their sales. Something about their business practices and stuff... Weird to say the least. I'd love to know the story behind that.

I'm guessing Phadt has their own X that comes with the headers?
Old 10-26-2013, 06:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Yeah, that what it looks like to me.

Pfadt Tri-Y Specifications:
•Makes much more torque under the curve, and increases top end HP
•1 3/4" (primary) & 2.0" (secondary) tube diameters
•Fully hand-TIG welded on-site
•T-304 16 Gauge Brushed Stainless Steel
•V-Band Clamp connections
•Equal length long tubes
•Available with and without Catalytic Converters
•Full 3" collector and X-pipe
•Exhaust system is 24-27lbs lighter than factory
•Made in USA
Old 10-26-2013, 06:29 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Originally Posted by 99Bluz28
Yeah, that what it looks like to me. Pfadt Tri-Y Specifications: •Makes much more torque under the curve, and increases top end HP •1 3/4" (primary) & 2.0" (secondary) tube diameters •Fully hand-TIG welded on-site •T-304 16 Gauge Brushed Stainless Steel •V-Band Clamp connections •Equal length long tubes •Available with and without Catalytic Converters •Full 3" collector and X-pipe •Exhaust system is 24-27lbs lighter than factory •Made in USA
ARH- American made and proven quality...

Phadt- (HOLY SUSPENSION PRICES!!!) Unknown C5 gains... I'm also unaware of ANY independent testing with them.

At least it's kinda narrowed down...
Old 10-26-2013, 08:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Saw that today. When I was combing the sponsor sales on CF, I saw Gene Culley from GM Parts Depot had dropped Pfadt from their sales. Something about their business practices and stuff... Weird to say the least. I'd love to know the story behind that.

I'm guessing Phadt has their own X that comes with the headers?
Phadt let's none of their dealers advertise sale pricing. It's their list or they drop you from what I've been told.

ARH- American made and proven quality...

Phadt- (HOLY SUSPENSION PRICES!!!) Unknown C5 gains... I'm also unaware of ANY independent testing with them.

At least it's kinda narrowed down...
Yes, Phadt stuff is pricey for suspension stuff. It is top rate, but ALL of it makes your car a little more race car like.
Old 10-28-2013, 12:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^ This. It's a different world for sure.
Old 10-28-2013, 09:21 PM
Teching In

First I want to say we have sent in all our sponsor stuff so mods please don't delete this. Having said that here is my standing.
For the 3'' exhaust they all fit like crap to be honest. I have the lg big 3 on my personal high compression c5 and while I absolutely love how it sounds it is without a doubt one of the worst fitting exhaust I have ever installed. The xs is not really any better to be honest. You won't see really any gains unless your max effort like me so save the headache and do a corsa, magnaflow, or whatever brand you like the sound of. Now for the headers we have done tons of testing on c6's with the pfadt's and they flat out perform!! Others mentioned the whole sales price thing and they are correct, pfadt is very serious about the minimum price you can sell their items for because they 1 want to protect their product in terms of value and 2 it keeps dealers from doing the bidding wars deal. Pfadt's truly are the cream of the crop and when you see a set you will quickly realize why. Don't get me wrong kook's and arh are awesome too but no one does v-band flanges except for pfadt
Old 10-28-2013, 09:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Look into the corsa extreme. Its a little deeper than the regular corsa and eliminates the 180 bend in the exhaust.

Quick Reply: 3" Corvette Exhaust?