Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Head & cam packages by performance & cost

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2013, 08:57 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We offer standard head cam packages for various LS platforms, we have standard as well as custom packages. There are too many to post with costs and availability. Packages must be duplicated to a tee to net advertised results. We can not tell you how much power a proven head cam package will make when you change to parts we don't use or have not tested. We do have several videos with power numbers on most of our packages.
Old 11-07-2013, 09:29 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We do a top end package for those looking for the most out of a head and cam package. It includes custom ported Trick Flow 215 heads, ported and port matched FAST 102 and a Dominator 2 cam. Price is $5900 for the package. Here's a video of the package on the dyno.

We have multiple other packages but there are too many prices and options to list here.

Mikey
Old 11-07-2013, 01:43 PM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

OK I'll toss my favorite head and cam package into the mix and try to be as detailed as possible.

I prefer the TFS As Cast 220cc cylinder heads for 90% of stock cubic inch LS1/LS6 and LS2 powered vehicles. They are a great cylinder head that offers from what I've found on par performance with their CNC variants with a much smaller price tag.

I order these heads with PAC springs and spring kits from TEA and they come pre-installed from TEA to take some of the installation burden off of the customer. I even go one step further to ensuring that installed heights, seat load and open load along with coil bind clearance are 100% optimal for your application. Experience and knowing what the combo wants is paramount in this aspect.

The main thing I feel I do that others don't with the TFS heads is I order them with powdered metal OEM quality steel valve guides. This allows the customer to run a stock OEM rocker arm which IMO gives the best valve control out of any readily available rocker arm for the LS engine in a hydraulic application. With a slight modification to the OEM stand with a quick blip of the dremel or some time with a hand file you have a superior(IMO) valve train system that will stay in control of the valve train far longer than a roller rocker could ever dream of.

I sell the TEA TFS As Cast 220cc cylinder heads for 1825 assembled with a PAC spring kit. I also offer the As Cast 220's without a spring kit for 1625.

From there I normally either pair these cylinder heads with one of our Elite Series or SNS shelf camshafts or a custom camshaft. This selection is determined 100% by the customers wants and needs. None of that, "this is what you get because we made X amount of HP on our dyno with it and it's the best". No, you get what YOU want with my help of course.

Custom cams are 399.99 and Elite/SNS series camshafts are 379.99.

At that point the customer has several options in rounding out his H/C package. He can choose to purchase lifters of several makes and models from us, several makes and models of push rods, head bolts/studs, head gaskets, timing cover gasket/seal and balancer bolt packages along with timing chain and oil pump options.

I really like the BTR SLR lifters. I feel that what Brian offers in terms of quality control and ensuring the leak down rate is identical on every lifter he sells is something you won't get from the OEM. On top of that, his lifters are 65 bucks more than LS7 lifters. A no brainer for me! SLR lifters are 199.00.

I prefer a thicker wall push rod. .105" wall 5/16" Hi-Tech push rods from Comp Cams are normally what I like to sell, but the TFS heads can also fit a 3/8" push rod which really beefs up the valve train IMO. .105" 5/16" Hi-tech push rods are 159.99 and 3/8" Magnum or BTR push rods are 109.99.

For a customer not looking to spray his motor at all I recommend stock head bolts or ARP head bolts. For a customer looking to spray his motor I always recommend ARP head studs for safety and peace of mind. Although I have personally sprayed a 300 shot on stock heads and bolts! Yikes!

Stock head bolts normally range in the 55-60 dollar range for a complete set with ARP head bolts ranging from 105-170 dollars. ARP head studs are 300 dollars and up.

I like to use a Cometic .040" thick head gasket on aluminum block engines where the piston only protrudes on average .006" from the deck surface. This safely allows enough piston to head clearance for a nice tight quench area. This can really boost power as well. One of those other "little things" I feel can be done to set your combo apart from the pack. Cometic gaskets are 180.00 dollars for a set.

For iron blocks that have a piston out of the hole measurement of .008-.010 I use a stock thickness .051" head gasket in the appropriate bore diameter. Stock head gaskets can range from 36.99 a set to 100.00 a set.

Then it's on to timing chain and oil pump selections. For 75% of the guys out there I feel a LS2 timing chain is sufficient. For those that want added protection and peace of mind, or who will be turning their engine over 7000rpm I prefer the Katech C5R chain. I highly recommend a replacement LS6 oil pump at the least during a H/C install and a ported LS6 pump is my choice. We port our own pumps here in house as well. Stock LS6 pumps are 99.99 and ported LS6 pumps are 139.99. It takes us about 30 minutes to port one and our labor rate is 80 dollars an hour.

Then to top it all off a bolt/gasket kit is in order. We have a discounted package that includes 2x water pump gaskets, a timing cover gasket, timing cover seal and a balancer bolt for 54.99.

One last thing to go one step further in completing a true H/C package is to recommend and/or sell fueling upgrades. Any good H/C package that's worth a poop will max out your stock pump and injectors.

For a nice affordable fuel package I like Fast 36lb/hr injectors and a Racetronix 255lph fuel pump kit with a hot wire upgrade. I really like the FIC 36 lb/hr, 42 lb/hr or 50 lb/hr injectors for the ultimate in fuel delivery. FIC injectors are 440-450.00 dollars and the Fast 36 lb/hr injectors are 335.00 dollars. Racetronix fuel pump kits are 210-220.00 dollars.

We can also add a 92mm black Fast intake manifold to one of these packages for 884.99. Of course an aftermarket throttle body is needed with the Fast 92mm intake and we prefer Nick Williams here at Tick. A 92mm NW cable operated TB is 368.00 dollars.

With all of that said and laid out, a normal H/C package from Tick Performance can range from 3000-5000 dollars with the parts I've mentioned here.

Hope this helps!
Old 11-07-2013, 08:44 PM
On The Tree

Martin,

That was probably the best sonapsis (I hope I spelled that right) of what is needed and how much things cost for an upgrade I've read in a long time. Kudos
Old 11-07-2013, 09:07 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

Thanks Mikey pretty cool video and I like the power!
Old 11-07-2013, 09:13 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Hey Martin, that's great, many thanks.

Does any end user (not a seller) of any package care to share with us what was purchased and it's results?
Old 11-07-2013, 09:46 PM
On The Tree

""Thats what you call customer service"" Great tech info!!

Last edited by ws6man29; 11-08-2013 at 07:35 AM.
Old 11-07-2013, 09:50 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Please folks, no quoting big long posts or photos.
Old 11-08-2013, 07:36 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Paul Bell
Please folks, no quoting big long posts or photos.
How is that Paul? Sorry as you are right nice and tight!
Old 11-08-2013, 09:01 AM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

No problem guys. I had some time on my hands during lunch.
Old 11-08-2013, 02:45 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I feel like this is a Miss America type question, since there are so many possible answers as to what is best. We have sold, installed, and tuned just about every kind of set up out there, but I don't have them listed as packages on my website. In my opinion it's hard to put together something off the shelf that works for everyone. A lot of times too, and I'm sure other vendors can sympathize, sometimes what a customer thinks they want and what they really want are very different things. It's easy to dyno race on the forums and get jazzed up hearing someone's fresh cam install, but a lot of people aren't aware of perhaps what it takes to make that number, what you're giving up in return, etc.

It's more so for this reason that we don't have many H & C packages on our website. I want the customer to contact us so that we can personally see that we are selling them the correct parts vs. just going by what they read on the forum. I want people to use me - use my experience! Let me tell you the ups and downs of possible packages, whether certain things are worth the money, and how to meet your overall goal in the most efficient way possible.

When we do our installs at the shop, 95% of the time we are creating the packages for the customer. The other 5% bring their own parts...often wondering why their car didn't do as well as the car they saw on the forum, or not realizing that some whopper cam that makes five billion horsepower at peak rpm may have driveability issues or feel soggy until upper rpm's. When we do packages, there are no surprises and it's easier on both of us.

I will throw in a good word for Advanced Induction, however. We are lucky to be local to them (30 mins) so they are doing almost all of our cylinder heads for our local and mail order H/C packages. Phil really knows his stuff, is easy to work with, GREAT results, and very affordable also. Here are a few examples of some of our PCM of NC Cam & AI heads combinations,

LS1 Camaro PCM of NC Hellcat Cam & AI Heads

LS3 Camaro PCM of NC 545 Cam & AI Heads

LS3 Camaro PCM of NC Avenger Cam & AI Heads

LS2 Corvette PCM of NC Hellcat Cam & AI Heads

LS2 Trailblazer SS PCM of NC Game Changer Cam & AI Heads

We also try and blog about some of the cars that come through the shop, you can check them out here - Customer Build Blogs. Lots of dyno graphs and sound clips.

See what's in our shop on Facebook! Customer Build Blogs!
www.pcmofnc.com
Performance Installs - Dyno Tuning - Custom Camshafts & Valvetrain - Remote HPtuners Tuning - Mail Order Tuning & Sales
704-307-4227
Old 11-08-2013, 07:42 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Thanks for that Alvin. You guys do my mail order tunings and I've had great experiences with the good folks at Advanced Induction.
Old 11-10-2013, 07:35 AM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Folks, after looking at a few PM's, let's do this:

Sellers post like this:

"We have a stage I kit that costs $XXXX and makes XXX RWHP.
We also have a stage II kit that costs $XXXX and makes XXX RWHP"

Installers/people that have used a package post like this:

"I installed the stage III kit from Big Stuff Racing. It costs $XXXX and made $XXX RWHP. I'd use it again"
Old 11-10-2013, 09:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Foolish premise... in the wrong section no less.
Old 11-10-2013, 09:57 AM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Thanks for that. Very helpful. Brilliant even.
Old 11-13-2013, 07:56 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Paul Bell
Folks, after looking at a few PM's, let's do this:

Sellers post like this:

"We have a stage I kit that costs $XXXX and makes XXX RWHP.
We also have a stage II kit that costs $XXXX and makes XXX RWHP"

Installers/people that have used a package post like this:

"I installed the stage III kit from Big Stuff Racing. It costs $XXXX and made $XXX RWHP. I'd use it again"
I would be really grateful if anyone, Sponsor or not. If they would take the time to actually partake in this.
Old 11-18-2013, 12:03 PM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

All of our PRC Cylinder Head and Camshaft Packages can be easily found on our website. Every package includes a pair of assembled heads, camshaft of your choice and TSP hardened pushrods. We also offer Basic and Deluxe Heads/Cam Bolt & Gasket Kits to make TSP your one stop shop. Horsepower gains will vary depending upon camshaft.

The most popular cathedral port option is our 225cc As-Cast Aftermarket Casting Heads & Cam Package. This package starts @ $2179.99; an incredible deal for an aftermarket casting head!

We also offer our aftermarket cathedral castings in a 215cc version for stock cubic inch applications. Those of you running 3.9"-4" bores and stroker cranks might want to take advantage of our larger runner 227cc or 237cc heads. These packages range from $2699.99 to $2859.99 depending upon valve spring option.

Our LS3 packages also start @ $2859.99. You can choose from our 255cc or 260cc aftermarket casting heads.

LS7 packages start @ $3289.99 and include a 265cc or 285cc option.

Don't forget about our GM Casting packages that will include a pair of CNC Ported NEW GM Castings, camshaft and pushrods. These are great for those on a budget or just looking to get the best bang for your buck with a CNC Ported GM Casting.
Stage 1 LS6 - $1669.99
Stage 2.5 LS6 - $2069.99
Stage 1 LQ9/6.0L - $1669.99
Stage 2.5 LQ9/6.0L - $2069.99
CNC Ported LS3/L92 - $2369.98

Last edited by Beau@Texas-Speed; 01-15-2014 at 03:25 PM.
Old 11-18-2013, 04:53 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Thanks for that. Any HP ranges for these packages?
Old 11-18-2013, 05:51 PM
TECH Regular

Id like to know the answer to that question as well.
Old 11-19-2013, 09:20 AM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

As stated in my earlier post, horsepower gains will vary depending upon camshaft. Gains could vary from 50-150hp depending upon what camshaft is selected.

Quick Reply: Head & cam packages by performance & cost