Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ordered Kurt Urban steam vent setup

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2013, 12:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Ordered Kurt Urban steam vent setup

Well... I went ahead, bit the bullet, and ordered the Kurt Urban Performance steam vent setup. Although it's not really NEEDED right now, it looks pretty and WILL be when I get done piecing together my F1A/346/4L80E build.

After doing a LOT of research of how to best make a plug and play setup (there seems to be a lot of discussion on where the steam vent return should go), I've put together a complete list of parts needed for the install.

-KUP steam vent kit w/optional bracket & FAST option (there is no reason NOT to get the FAST/LS7 option... It costs the same and leaves room if you swap intakes later)

-Jags That Run LS1 upper radiator hose connector with vent and steam line tee

-1/8NPT to -4AN 90deg connector

-90deg -4AN Push-Loc hose end

-Straight -4AN Push-Loc hose end

-10 feet -4AN Push-Loc hose

The plan-

-Install the KUP kit with the supplied bracket

-Remove barb fitting from the JTR piece and install 1/8NPT to -4AN 90deg connector in it's place

-Splice JTR piece into upper radiator hose

-Install straight -4AN Push-Loc fitting on one side of hose, connect it to the -4AN connector on JTR piece

-Route hose until satisfied with layout, cut hose, install the other -4AN Push-Loc fitting on hose

-Burp coolant system and sleep easy.

Can anyone think of something that I'm missing? (I hope not. everything's already ordered )

If there's any interest, I'll post up pictures after I do the install, along with links to where parts can be purchased.
Old 11-13-2013, 02:03 PM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I need to do this too but not spending that kind of coin on it. Plus it looks like it would be in the way if I ever did a plate kit. I like what one member did and hammer down the OEM tubes to fit under a FAST 92 intake. But I don't think that can be bought anymore so you'd have to find one in a junk yard if you have an 01-02.
Old 11-13-2013, 03:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm not really seeing how it would get in the way with a plate kit...

where are you thinking it would interfere? Just wondering.
Old 11-13-2013, 03:42 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Everybody calls those steam vents and I have never figured out why. If you ever watch one run, without the radiator cap, you'll see that it's not steam coming from them. It's a fast flowing stream of water.
Old 11-13-2013, 04:01 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by roninsonic
I'm not really seeing how it would get in the way with a plate kit...

where are you thinking it would interfere? Just wondering.

It looked like it would interfere with the solenoids that mount by the fuel rails.
Old 11-14-2013, 05:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

AHHH ok.

Honestly, you can mount noids just about anywhere... All it takes is some sheet aluminum, a drill, a and a vice. Make your own mount There are also several pre-made noid mounts available from some of the sponsors. The only reason I paid for the 25 bucks for the KUP mount is because I know it'll fit right and for 25 dollars it's just not worth it for me to dick with making my own.
Old 11-14-2013, 07:02 PM
TECH Addict

Oh.....I didn't realize you could purchase the mount for the kup separate.
Old 11-14-2013, 07:06 PM
Old School Heavy

Received 58 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1MCSS
Everybody calls those steam vents and I have never figured out why. If you ever watch one run, without the radiator cap, you'll see that it's not steam coming from them. It's a fast flowing stream of water.
It is because they prevent air pockets.
Old 12-05-2013, 05:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How did this work out? Any issues with your plan or did it mount up exactly how you wanted it? Can you post pics?

Thanks!
Old 12-11-2013, 12:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

sorry y'all, haven't been on tech for a bit (PCS'ing to another duty station)

I actually got my orders today, so tomorrow night or maybe the next day I'll actually see my baby for the first time in over a year. Deployment SUCKS... But all that money sure bought a lot of car parts!

I'll post up some pictures when I get the setup done. Shouldn't be too hard, I don't think.
Old 12-11-2013, 09:34 AM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

That Kurt Urban setup looks nice... I might have to get that.
Old 12-19-2013, 10:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

UPDATE: The setup is on (along with PRC .650" valve springs, !EVAP, and a bunch of other ****)

As soon as the intake goes back on and I make the AN line going from the steam vent collection block to the upper radiator hose, I'll post up some pictures.
Old 12-19-2013, 10:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by roninsonic
UPDATE: The setup is on (along with PRC .650" valve springs, !EVAP, and a bunch of other ****)

As soon as the intake goes back on and I make the AN line going from the steam vent collection block to the upper radiator hose, I'll post up some pictures.
I'll be interested to see how the front DS fitting fits with the FAST intake. I have a FAST 102 and I'm putting together my own -4AN system. I haven't received my 90 degree hose end for the DS front yet, but I can foresee a tight fit IF it fits...
Old 12-19-2013, 11:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by themealonwheels
I'll be interested to see how the front DS fitting fits with the FAST intake. I have a FAST 102 and I'm putting together my own -4AN system. I haven't received my 90 degree hose end for the DS front yet, but I can foresee a tight fit IF it fits...
I am as well, I have the same setup of course bought the Kurt Urban product though..
Old 12-20-2013, 06:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

It won't fit on the front DS with a FAST 102. I tried an Alpine motorsports 4AN straight with a 90 hose end without success, then I tried a GETFAST1 block with a 90 1/8NPT to 4AN, both touched the corner of the intake. Finally I said f*** it and put the stock modified crossover I had back on and tied it into the rear line going to the radiator. I am pissed, I spent so much money on fittings...
Old 12-20-2013, 06:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Old 12-21-2013, 01:28 AM
Teching In

the 102's are shaped differently there than the 90/92's. Their website actually has an option when ordering for the 102's. It was no extra and I wasn't sure, so I clicked it... Turns out it wasn't needed.

A lifter died last night shortly after startup, and when pulling the heads today I noticed something interesting about the 45 degree fittings they supply for the 102's vs straight fittings- The small head bolts won't clear the straight fittings (fittings have to be removed), but WILL clear the 45 degrees with them clocked for the FAST.
Old 12-24-2013, 08:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Pics?
Old 12-24-2013, 09:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Yea same **** with my when I installed it over a year ago. What I wound up doing was putting a stock front crossover on the rear, running a rubber hose around the front, and used the Kurt urban water block to tie the 2 rubber lines in and then ran it to the radiator. I capped off the extra port on the block. It still looks clean and the way I routed it you can't even see it.
Old 12-26-2013, 10:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Undertow74
Yea same **** with my when I installed it over a year ago. What I wound up doing was putting a stock front crossover on the rear, running a rubber hose around the front, and used the Kurt urban water block to tie the 2 rubber lines in and then ran it to the radiator. I capped off the extra port on the block. It still looks clean and the way I routed it you can't even see it.
Interesting, I did something similar originally: two front crossovers tied together returning to the radiator. I ended up pursuing an -AN setup when I discovered a puddle of coolant on the floor from behind my intake. I guess the intake and firewall had forced the front crossover on the back to rub and eventually leak.

Anyway, I now have an -AN setup in the back tying to the stock front crossover modified in the front.

OP, sorry about the hijack...

Quick Reply: Ordered Kurt Urban steam vent setup