Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Super Vic., Edelbrock Pro Flow XT, Holley High or Mid Rise Intake For Max Effort 346

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2013, 10:17 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by IllusionalTA
I ran a 4500 with adapter on my car for long while.. Worked fine..
that pic from bellmore lot? pretty sure I"ve seen your car out there quite a bit.
Old 12-02-2013, 10:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

There are quite a few crappy combos running around
Ya think ...lol... Some of the crap you see thrown together is comical to say the least. People buy stuff cause it was a "deal" with no for thought or planning. Then they wonder why their car is a slug. But it sure sounds good when it idles.
Old 12-02-2013, 10:56 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by black06g85
that pic from bellmore lot? pretty sure I"ve seen your car out there quite a bit.
Yes sir...
Old 12-02-2013, 11:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Rise of the Phoenix
Like I've said a thousand times, if you don't have the right cam for a single plane intake setup, then you're wasting your ******* time. I don't know why people can't understand that. That lower RPM **** can be taken care of easily if you have the right cam with the right valve events.
Yes the car could have used a cam and other supporting mods but the car made the power with the intake on it is what I was pointing out. The intake worked and made more power than most stock internal cars with a FAST setup. The car flat out worked for drag racing. High peaky HP and the gears to keep it there.

There are quite a few crappy combos running around
Not sure if this was directed at me but for what I was using the car for, it was not a crappy setup at all. To come out and run door to door and beat cam cars is pretty impressive I think and so did everyone else that raced it. Not saying the setup was "optimized" but for a bone stock motor, it worked very well. I could care less about low end and midrange power in a drag race because I don't use it. It's not a road race car.
Old 12-02-2013, 11:58 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I was not inferring that your car was crappy in any way at all sir. But for what it's worth with a first version Texas Speed Torquer Cam and a set of LT headers it made 409/384 (stock heads) back 10 years ago. Never ran the car at the track with that setup but with 4.10 gears it ran like a scalded dog. Car would not hook up at all. Slicks would have made it hook but I didn't feel like tearing up the weakazz 10 bolt. But with a well thought out collection of mods (H/C & ATBOs )and a much smaller custom cam it made 452/418 without a fast intake and TB. After hot rodding for 50+ years I kinda got it figured out by now.
Old 12-02-2013, 12:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by slt200mph
I was not inferring that your car was crappy in any way at all sir. But for what it's worth with a first version Texas Speed Torquer Cam and a set of LT headers it made 409/384 (stock heads) back 10 years ago. Never ran the car at the track with that setup but with 4.10 gears it ran like a scalded dog. Car would not hook up at all. Slicks would have made it hook but I didn't feel like tearing up the weakazz 10 bolt. But with a well thought out collection of mods (H/C & ATBOs )and a much smaller custom cam it made 452/418 without a fast intake and TB. After hot rodding for 50+ years I kinda got it figured out by now.
Are you talkin to me? I never quoted you on anything. As I stated before, a dyno is just a tuning tool. Not sure why my setup is being compared to a cam car...

The only reason I posted was to show that these single plane intakes make power and I was posting my experience with it and states that it worked in my application. Also that if it had a cam in it that was made for that intake setup that the power would have been amazing and if I was looking to build a max effort 346 then I'd take the single plane hands down.
Old 12-02-2013, 12:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

All I can say is when I do the Super Vic./4150 TB swap, my existing cam will be coming out in lue of a custom cam that is spec'd for the Super Vic./4150 TB, not to mention the rest of the setup (heads, gears, 6 speed, car weight, etc.). Will the cam I have now work; yeah, probably. Will it be optimal; hell no. I'm one of those guys that can't just half *** something; it's all or nothing with me. When I lift weights, it's ***** to the wall. When I drink, it sure as hell ain't to get a buzz. Same philosophy with my car.
Old 12-02-2013, 02:19 PM
10 Second Club

Wasn't pointing anyone out exclusively... Just sayin there is a lot of crap out there... I set out to do a single plane from the jump, used stock 317's had them milled .075 gave me a 61.5cc chamber, a simple 250/250 hyd roller and it made quite a bit more than a lot of combos.. Been beating the snot outta it for 2yrs.. Finally putting some heads on it looking to go north of 5xxwhp.. I'm building another 346 for someone.. Single plane deal... Expecting it to go pretty well..
Old 12-02-2013, 03:59 PM
10 Second Club

Old 12-02-2013, 04:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Looking forward to seeing how that 346 single plane build goes.
Old 12-02-2013, 04:36 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking forward to seeing how that 346 single plane build goes.
You and me both
Old 12-03-2013, 10:45 AM
TECH Senior Member

IllusionalTA, on a 346, if the cam is optimal for whichever intake, how would the Pro Flow compare to the Super Vic.? How different is the RPM ramge between the two? Would the Pro Flow be even better in the upper RPM range over the Super Vic., or would it yield better lower RPM power/torque?
Old 12-03-2013, 01:55 PM
10 Second Club

IllusionalTA, on a 346, if the cam is optimal for whichever intake, how would the Pro Flow compare to the Super Vic.? How different is the RPM ramge between the two? Would the Pro Flow be even better in the upper RPM range over the Super Vic., or would it yield better lower RPM power/torque?
That's all theoretical.. I can't honestly give you a solid answer.. I've never ran any of the others..
Old 12-03-2013, 01:56 PM
10 Second Club

And low end don't really apply to my combo.. I start the pull at 3k and the dyno don't catch up till 5300..
Old 12-03-2013, 03:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

And low end don't really apply to my combo.. I start the pull at 3k and the dyno don't catch up till 5300..
Take for instance your combo; do you think there would be much, if any, difference swapping to a Pro Flow intake? Just trying to get a better feel for which one would be better on a max effort 346, or if it's just a wash.
Old 12-03-2013, 03:55 PM
10 Second Club

I couldn't tell ya, I'd say pick your intake and run it... This is all guesswork, I know mine works just fine, and I'll continue to build off what I got... I'm doubtful, that I'll find any significant gains goin from my single plane to that thing... If someone would like to send me one to test, I'll gladly do that... But we're nickel and diming at this point...
Old 12-03-2013, 07:13 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Take for instance your combo; do you think there would be much, if any, difference swapping to a Pro Flow intake? Just trying to get a better feel for which one would be better on a max effort 346, or if it's just a wash.
I'm sure whichever intake you decide to go with will work out nice for you esp. if your getting a cam designed for it. I would probably still be running a FAST intake if I didn't get convinced I should go single plane. Glad I decided to go Super Vic honestly....seen them perform nicely out of the box, And not that it matters but I think they look better too lol
Old 12-04-2013, 08:05 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 1BAD98LS1
I'm sure whichever intake you decide to go with will work out nice for you esp. if your getting a cam designed for it. I would probably still be running a FAST intake if I didn't get convinced I should go single plane. Glad I decided to go Super Vic honestly....seen them perform nicely out of the box, And not that it matters but I think they look better too lol
Yeah, I agree. I know the cam is the key to the whole combo, whichever intake I decide to go with. Anyone know the clearance difference between a Super Vic./4150 TB and the Pro Flo intake? I would assume the Pro Flo would have more clearance, but not sure.

Another reason why I'm leaning toward the Super Vic./4150 TB is because I could run the Nitrous Outlet Stinger Plate setup. With the Pro Flo, it would be their traditional 90/100mm plate setup.
Old 12-04-2013, 08:10 AM
10 Second Club

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

I think there is more potential in the single plane! Ported super Vic with the combo all good and a plate on top of it!! About as good as you can get without spending top dollar. Mast,sheet metal etc. I keep thinkin selling my fast and going single plane with a puck.
Old 12-04-2013, 08:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Zmg00camaross
I think there is more potential in the single plane! Ported super Vic with the combo all good and a plate on top of it!! About as good as you can get without spending top dollar. Mast,sheet metal etc. I keep thinkin selling my fast and going single plane with a puck.
Yep. The LS6 intake is not cutting it right now; my heads require way more flow than what it can offer. The heads will likely have to come off the car to flycut anway, so might as well do some light port work on the intake while I'm at it.

Quick Reply: Super Vic., Edelbrock Pro Flow XT, Holley High or Mid Rise Intake For Max Effort 346