Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Timing with boost: pump gas vs race gas

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2013, 06:14 PM
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Timing with boost: pump gas vs race gas

I have searched, and can't find an approximate answer to this simple question:
I am running 14# boost and 18deg timing on pump gas, about how much timing do you think I could run with same amount of boost, and 110 octane? And what kind of power improvement would you expect?

This is in regards to my WS6 (in sig).

Thanks for any input!
Old 12-12-2013, 08:40 PM
8 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by turbotrks
I have searched, and can't find an approximate answer to this simple question:
I am running 14# boost and 18deg timing on pump gas, about how much timing do you think I could run with same amount of boost, and 110 octane? And what kind of power improvement would you expect?

This is in regards to my WS6 (in sig).

Thanks for any input!

race gas will always allow you to run more timing than pump gas

there is no simple answer to how much...its completely dependent on your setup
I've seen guys run as much timing as an NA car but with 25 psi on q16.......
Old 12-13-2013, 03:43 AM
12 Second Club

Your tuner will be able to add timing until you get knock or whatever power requirements you have. And then he will back it out to a safe place for either race or pump gas. But that would be your best bet. I'm not that experienced with tuning so if someone else could chime in I'm sure he would appreciate it.
Old 12-13-2013, 05:22 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You should make more power if you add boost instead of timing. 18psi and 14* timing should net a good amount more power then 14psi and 18*. If Im adding octane im adding boost.
Old 12-13-2013, 11:25 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by itsslow98
You should make more power if you add boost instead of timing. 18psi and 14* timing should net a good amount more power then 14psi and 18*. If Im adding octane im adding boost.
That's easier said than done with a Procharger.

If you're already at 18 degrees of timing on pump gas, I'd say you're already pushing it. You might be able to get 20 degrees or so with race gas, but I wouldn't get greedy because the extra hp means you're running closer to failure, especially with a stock block and 4 bolt heads.
Old 12-14-2013, 06:07 PM
8 Second Club

Ok, I reckon i'll be content to just it leave alone then. I'm definitely not wanting deal with a pulley swap for now.

Thanks guys!
Old 12-14-2013, 06:14 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by 2002kirk
Your tuner will be able to add timing until you get knock or whatever power requirements you have. And then he will back it out to a safe place for either race or pump gas. But that would be your best bet. I'm not that experienced with tuning so if someone else could chime in I'm sure he would appreciate it.
dont tune by knock... thats how you push rods out of the block....

Originally Posted by itsslow98
yes, but a pulley swap is not really what he wants to do...
so he can add timing with race gas...how much power he makes wont be anything major...might only be 30 or 40 HP.....but hey...it will pick up power

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
That's easier said than done with a Procharger.

If you're already at 18 degrees of timing on pump gas, I'd say you're already pushing it. You might be able to get 20 degrees or so with race gas, but I wouldn't get greedy because the extra hp means you're running closer to failure, especially with a stock block and 4 bolt heads.

yes...likely pushing the limits of the bottom end... they like to fail once you start getting past about 550 RWHP....which he is likely at or close to

Ok, I reckon i'll be content to just it leave alone then. I'm definitely not wanting deal with a pulley swap for now.

Thanks guys!
I say go for it....just be prepared to do a repair, or to buy a new motor...
if you arent ready for the repair..then you shouldnt try to push it..
Old 12-14-2013, 07:12 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

As per the signature, his ws6 has mahle rods and pistons, but still, having a stock block and heads, I'd be concerned with how much timing I threw at it.
Old 12-14-2013, 11:20 PM
8 Second Club

Received 731 Likes on 536 Posts

Running higher timing doesn't always mean you will make more power. Advance it until you stop seeing a MPH increase, then lock it out. More importantly the better fuel should let you run more boost thats where the power is. I'd leave timing alone (or even dial it back) and get that boost up if you want more power with race fuel.
Old 12-15-2013, 12:02 AM
8 Second Club

you can increase boost, but for some people that is not physically possible (supercharger already spinning at its recommended maximum rpm.....out of turbo....near impossible to change pulleys or wastegate springs...etc...)

when your octane goes up, your flame front travels slower, which means you can increase timing and improve power....
it always makes more power increasing timing with more octane as long as you dont go past the MBT peak

its the reason why you can still run a lot of timing with boost and Meth and you make more power when you do it...the meth effectively raises the octane of the fuel. 93 octane responds like 117.....and sometimes even just 2* of timing can make big increases in power...

the key is...as you stated....you have to find that point where it stops making power and then stop...MPH is a good indicator...and a dyno also works, or a combo of the two which nets you the best results
Old 12-15-2013, 05:14 PM
8 Second Club

I should have stated this in the beginning, but what I trying to figure out (before I go round up some some high octane and waste of bunch of time tuning), is whether or not it would be worth the trouble to make "race gas tune" just for my rare trip to the track.

So SOUNDENGINEER said that I may be able to see another 30-40hp. Based on that, I don't think I'll fool with it. I have more room for improvement by working on rowing the T56 quicker, and launches.
Old 12-15-2013, 05:25 PM
8 Second Club

I should have stated this in the beginning, but what I trying to figure out (before I go round up some some high octane and waste of bunch of time tuning), is whether or not it would be worth the trouble to make "race gas tune" just for my rare trip to the track.

So SOUNDENGINEER said that I may be able to see another 30-40hp. Based on that, I don't think I'll fool with it. I have more room for improvement by working on rowing the T56 quicker, and launches.

T56 is worthless for the dragstrip past about 750 HP.....
I would ditch it and get a well built automatic.... you will see drastic improvements in ET and consistency.
Computers>Humans when it comes to shifting
Old 12-15-2013, 07:20 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by soundengineer
T56 is worthless for the dragstrip past about 750 HP.....
I would ditch it and get a well built automatic.... you will see drastic improvements in ET and consistency.
Computers>Humans when it comes to shifting
Yeah I know, this is usually "the grocery getter", and my Silverado is my Real track machine. Yeah it takes some skill to make consistent passes with a manual. And this thing is VERY stiff to shift, compared to every other manual I've owned (including 3 other T56's).

Quick Reply: Timing with boost: pump gas vs race gas