Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 starter

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2013, 05:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS1 starter

This is probably a stupid question... but is it possible to get the power and neg words backwards? I just got my motor back in and installed a new starter. But went to start it. And wouldn't crank it acted like it have enough tourqe to turn the crank. But I know it will turn I was turning it by hand. I didn't put much thought into it when I checked my terminals but the power was pretty warm. Didn't think much tried to start it again and saw smoke. I melted the two wires... so is it possible I worked the starter wrong?
Old 12-17-2013, 08:32 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

The starter gets a heavy positive cable from the battery. The heavy negative cable from the battery goes to the engine block, not the starter so it's kind of impossible to mix them up at the starter.

Something else is wrong. DISCONNECT THE BATTERY because they tend to explode when presented with a dead short.
Old 12-17-2013, 08:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Paul Bell
The starter gets a heavy positive cable from the battery. The heavy negative cable from the battery goes to the engine block, not the starter so it's kind of impossible to mix them up at the starter.

Something else is wrong. DISCONNECT THE BATTERY because they tend to explode when presented with a dead short.
Not sure if I follow on this.. there are 3 wires 1positive. One ground. One enigizer. All attached to the starter. Other ground goes to body up by the battery, only two other positives one goes to alt other goes to fuse block.

Is there supposed to be a wire on the battery harness that only goes to the block?
Old 12-17-2013, 09:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Right?

Old 12-18-2013, 05:23 AM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Tell us where the "starter neg" wire was originally attached to before you started this job.
Old 12-18-2013, 09:28 AM
8 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

there is no "Starter Negative"...the starter negative is the Engine Block...the starter does not have a Ground lug

the one you have labeled "Starter Negative" in that picture, connects to the Block...it is an engine Ground.....the starter will ground thru the engine

the starter gets the odd lug with the sideways piece coming off of it...
this goes to the main lug of the starter

there will be a smaller wire coming from somewhere else in the car that goes to the small lug of the starter
if its an F-body...the smaller terminal on the starter gets a wire that comes from the 3 connectors on the passenger side strut tower area
Old 12-18-2013, 10:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

...welp.. now i know why my wires melted...

Ok so i know i dont have the bolt for the block ground anymore due to it still atached to the LS1 i sold.. what size is the bolt so i can buy a new one. also the ground strap on the driver side, what bolt size is that? we took it off while tesitng other possiblities and now we cant find it either -.-"
Old 12-18-2013, 11:59 AM
8 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Mista Blazer
...welp.. now i know why my wires melted...

Ok so i know i dont have the bolt for the block ground anymore due to it still atached to the LS1 i sold.. what size is the bolt so i can buy a new one. also the ground strap on the driver side, what bolt size is that? we took it off while tesitng other possiblities and now we cant find it either -.-"

M10x1.5 I believe...
I know its the same size as the knock sensors because you can put a knock sensor in the same hole on the block...LOL
and I know this because I moved mine from the valley to the side of the block...
Old 12-18-2013, 12:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by soundengineer
M10x1.5 I believe...
I know its the same size as the knock sensors because you can put a knock sensor in the same hole on the block...LOL
and I know this because I moved mine from the valley to the side of the block...
Oh hell ddidnt know it was the same spot! hell i was thinking about doing that.

Would you by chance know the one for the ground strap on the engine on the driver side?

Quick Reply: LS1 starter