Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

have to use a x or h pipe?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2013, 01:53 PM
MFJ
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 3" true duals setup with x pipe and 2 Moroso spirals dumped at the axle only cost me $340 and that was including install.
Old 12-30-2013, 03:18 PM
Launching!

2.5" duals with no crossover here and I don't think it sounds like **** at all. Only complaint is between 2500-2700 rpms, it sounds like a tuba. Don't know why, doesn't really bother me that much, just something I noticed. I've only heard one other car around me that I thought was even remotely close as nice as my exhaust. Like somebody already said above though, sound is very subjective. Take a look at the honda guys, they splooge their pants for those fart tube sounds.
Old 12-30-2013, 07:43 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by LPE 403

Here's a pic of my Kooks TD set up for reference....

That looks awesome but im sure it wasn't cheap either. I have a functioning exhaust now, It just needs to be tweaked and cut and welded some to make it fit right. Over the axle piece is rubbing on frame rail or rear ( 9" has bigger tubes) and making horrible noise and the y is very close to the torque arm mount. I figured if I were gonna pull it off to adjust it I might as well just go with td's while its off and sell my LM1 catback. but I don't want to dump $700 into a great looking exhaust like yours either. Im going to look into the prices of a custom set-up though as you suggested because no one is going to pre-fabricate exactly what im looking for.

Originally Posted by ls1 1990 VN
OP was more referring to old muscle cars & them not having crossovers in their day so why is it necessary with todays.
Back then our iron engines ran 'big' 2" duals, as time went on guys started using 'huge' 2 1/2" lol.
At higher rpms it got raspy without crossover pipe.
yeah but also more interested in my specific application, I was just using the old muscle cars as a reference. the bigger the exhaust I understand the ability for the rasp to occur becomes more possible but the muffler I also feel plays a role in that.

Originally Posted by MFJ
My 3" true duals setup with x pipe and 2 Moroso spirals dumped at the axle only cost me $340 and that was including install.
In stainless? The mandrel bends and piping is not cheap, ive bought it before (think it was around $16 a foot for t304) plus roughly what...$200 for 2 mufflers and a decent stainless x pipe?

Originally Posted by BWZ_2k2Z28
2.5" duals with no crossover here and I don't think it sounds like **** at all. Only complaint is between 2500-2700 rpms, it sounds like a tuba. Don't know why, doesn't really bother me that much, just something I noticed. I've only heard one other car around me that I thought was even remotely close as nice as my exhaust. Like somebody already said above though, sound is very subjective. Take a look at the honda guys, they splooge their pants for those fart tube sounds.
any pictures of your set-up? Ill be the first one to agree that sound is very subjective and that has been proven hundreds of times on this forum board alone. A lot of people hate the LM1 but I think for a catback only car it sounds amazing but that's my opinion.

Thanks for the videos too guys, I appreciate everybodys input.
Old 12-31-2013, 05:54 AM
MFJ
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by OnlyACamaroCanbeAZ28

In stainless? The mandrel bends and piping is not cheap, ive bought it before (think it was around $16 a foot for t304) plus roughly what...$200 for 2 mufflers and a decent stainless x pipe?

Yes that is stainless. The 2 Moroso spirals were $45 each. $90 for mufflers and $250 for the 3" piping and x-pipe. I would check out your local exhaust shops and get pricing. That's what I did.

Quick Reply: have to use a x or h pipe?