Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Using WAY too much oil PCV issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2014, 04:12 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

99Bluz28, I moved the hoses around like you stated. Haven't checked on the oil cause I haven't drove it much, so can not report back on the consumption issue. But, I did noticed right after switching the hoses I have a crazy amount of oil pressure now. It is up to 50psi at idle, and 70psi around 3 grand when driving. I do have a HP oil pump, but it was around 40-55 before. I am just wondering why this would result in an increase in oil pressure? : I know high oil pressure is good, but couldn't it be too high also?
Old 01-27-2014, 08:13 PM
TECH Addict

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Hmm that's odd, keep in mind at WOT there is no vacuum acting on the PCV system as the intake pressure is at atmosphere. Any oil vapor would be pushed into the intake from excessive crankcase pressure from blow by.

Are you sure you didn't just disturb oil pressure sending unit while changing the hoses? Its in the back near those hoses.
Old 01-28-2014, 12:32 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Yeah, that is odd....

Did you make sure that the long fresh air line isn't pinched/collapsed any where, or has any build-up on the inside causing a restriction?
Old 01-30-2014, 05:37 PM
Staging Lane

Yes I'm positive that non of the hoses are built up with crud or twisted up. The hoses are brand new. I forgot to mention, I installed one of the orifice type PCV valves when I switched the hoses. Has anyone noticed an increase of oil pressure from switching to this type of PCV valve?
Old 02-03-2014, 10:39 PM
Staging Lane

Bump to the top
Old 02-04-2014, 02:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by SyntheticPro
Yes I'm positive that non of the hoses are built up with crud or twisted up. The hoses are brand new. I forgot to mention, I installed one of the orifice type PCV valves when I switched the hoses. Has anyone noticed an increase of oil pressure from switching to this type of PCV valve?
I'm starting to think that maybe you're not getting enough flow because the hole in the PCV is to small. I'd try opening up the orifice with a drill bit, just a little bit at a time so you can monitor the results until you get the flow you need/want.
Old 02-05-2014, 06:27 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by SyntheticPro
When I went to the fixed orifice truck pcv (empty pcv) it did not mess with my oil pressure. Also didn't help oil in the intake. My oil in the intake is 100% the pcv. My v/c breather opening at wot cut down on so much I will prob switch to a normal open breather and ditch the pcv.
Old 05-14-2014, 11:18 PM
Staging Lane

Okay I'm going to bring this up from the dead because my issue is still not fixed. The car is still using oil like crazy. Checked all the valve seals they are in good shape. Car does NOT smoke at idle, if it was burning oil via piston rings it would be smoking at all RPM's. I'm ready to delete the whole PCV system. I realize that everyone says that the LS1 needs a vaccum on the crankcase to help with ring seal. So my question is, can I used the factory smog pump to evacuate the gases from the engine? My 'idea' is to run hoses from the passenger and driver valve covers to the smog pump. And plug the PCV connections at the intake and throttle body. This way I will have vaccum on the crankcase at all times and the engine will be able to vent gases, and the pump will actually force them out. How does this idea sound? I'm starting to get really frustrated. The car never used this much oil, until I done the cam swap, and keep in mind my cam is fairly large at 614/607 lift.

Quick Reply: Using WAY too much oil PCV issues