Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 Vets ! Exhaust leak advice needed !.

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2014, 01:30 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS1 Vets ! Exhaust leak advice needed !.

okay , so for about 2months I have been thinking I have an exhaust manifold leak.

First off my z28 is my DD, and is bonestock except for a flowmaster muffler. Previous owner installed that.
I took my 00 z28 with 120k to get the rear main seal oil leak fixed and to get the exhaust inspected.... sure enough it has a leak... My mechanic told me a bolt was broken off to replace the catalytic converter. He quoted me at 250 to replace everything including the manifold , and two gaskets.

my two quick questions on where my priorities should be at veterans are

I need some shocks...When i purchase them I am going to buy all 4 in a set.. I will get the SLP blistens... I am a college student I dont have the money to get the big boy Konis. I dont abuse my car I do basic high way driving. Would ignoring the exhaust leak for another month or two cause some pretty bad and expensive damage ?

now my exhaust question

Wouldn't it be a better idea to go out and purchase a good quality set of long tube headers with new gaskets ? My idea was I add about 200 bucks and get a nice set that comes with two new gaskets... would I need anything else at the moment or could I just add more to my exhaust later ? or is it one of those things I should do everything at one time . I see some nice TSP long tubes , and some nice ones on eBay as well. I also do not want my check engine light on...

what should I purchase first... Thanks guys.
Old 01-21-2014, 01:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

my personal opinion would be to fix the exhaust first. If your shocks aren't shot and are fine. and with the headers, if you are not going to do them yourself, be prepared to pay a good chunk of money to have someone do them for you, and it is probably going to be outside your price range.

You will want at least a new cat back with the headers, unless you don't mine old crap being welded to your nice new headers. and plus the stock exhaust is only 2"(maybe 2.5) so you would be flowing into a restriction. You would be looking at headers, gaskets, bolts, 02'extentions, new cats(unless you delete them) New catback and hardware. All in all on the extreme cheap side you are looking at $650 in parts not including labor...... Just getting a set of cheap headers wont work. You wont be able to just bolt them on and go without some other work
Old 01-21-2014, 02:35 AM
Staging Lane

Shocks are just all stock. My car is literally 98 percent stock. The rear end just bottoms out sometimes but it is decent over all. Even with non aggressive driving would not fixing my exhaust for another month cause substantial damage ?

So would headers and a cat back system be effective? Or would i be missing a key component.
Old 01-21-2014, 02:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Headers and a cat back system will give you everything you need to do the exhaust. and you will just need a set of 02 extensions as the long tubes will move the placement of your o2's back. then I would have your rear sensors tuned out so you don't throw a check engine light. You can drive it without causing any damage. worse case scenario it makes the exhaust leak bigger, but if you get a new system you will be fine.
Old 01-21-2014, 02:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Well and you will need a compatible Y-pipe to go with the headers, so the headers connect to the cat back. Most header manufactures make a Y pipe that you can buy as a set. You mentioned TSP and I know they make a y pipe to go with those headers
Old 01-21-2014, 03:28 AM
Staging Lane

thank you for the advice...

I live in Dallas the weather does not get that cold.. But is there still a chance that I could warp a valve ?
I think I am going to go with SLP loudmouth II , and some pacesetter long tubes what size is better for daily driving and has the better results in terms of gains ? 3/4 headers vs 1 7/8 headers ?.. so If i go with TSP just order the Y that goes with it... Also would that be a good time to switch my spark plugs???

Last edited by polorico; 01-21-2014 at 03:33 AM.
Old 01-22-2014, 01:03 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by polorico
I think I am going to go with SLP loudmouth II , and some pacesetter long tubes what size is better for daily driving and has the better results in terms of gains ? 3/4 headers vs 1 7/8 headers ?.. so If i go with TSP just order the Y that goes with it... Also would that be a good time to switch my spark plugs???
Unless you plan on doing a head/cam upgrade then the 1 3/4 will be fine, the tsp y pipe will work with the pacesetters also. And yes, it would be a great time to do your spark plugs/wires. But I would wait toll the new headers are installed just to make sure you don't hit a plug and crack it during the install.
Old 01-22-2014, 01:06 AM
Teching In

Also maybe look at the tsp rumbler cat back, pretty much the same thing as the loudmouth. Haven't priced exhausts in a while, but it may be more affordable.
Old 01-22-2014, 07:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For the op asking about shocks I would recommend the slp bilstien shocks spring package.
Cheap headers are just that, my first pair lasted about 2 years before the welds started to let go and as others have said you will need a new cat back to go with them. I assume you have driven in a car with the loudmouth. It is LOUD, some people love others are swapping it out as quickly as they put it in.
If you are on a tight budget you could look for some stock first gen z06 exhaust manifolds, they will flow a little better and you should be able to use your stock exhaust with just a little modification.
Old 01-22-2014, 07:44 PM
Staging Lane

is there a big difference between SLP LMP I and II ? I want something with some sound not overly loud that it will cause my neighbors grief or draw police attention.
Old 01-23-2014, 10:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With a loudmouth a lot will depend on if you run cats or not. No cats tends to give a very raspy exhaust note.
Old 01-23-2014, 11:52 AM
Staging Lane

I went with the bbk longtubes. They are like $390 from ws6store. They come with a y pipe too. Also my friend has a. Loudmouth 2 with long tubes and no cats. It's not too loud. But it's not quiet. The 2 has a muffler, the 1 doesn't really. Lol

Quick Reply: LS1 Vets ! Exhaust leak advice needed !.