Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Kooks Revised Y-pipe for the LS1 F-body (Now with Stamped Merge!)

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2015, 09:14 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How did the dyno go?
Old 05-03-2015, 09:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

stupid question,but would this y pipe set up work with TSP 1 7/8 headers?
Old 05-04-2015, 08:45 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dkota1968
How did the dyno go?
It went well, I gained 4 rwhp and 7 rwtq at the peaks going through the full Corsa catback. There was also at least a 2 rwhp increase at every RPM. I have to believe the results would have been more dramatic through a cutout, but I don't have one installed right now.

I will also add as a disclaimer that I had a baffle start rattling terribly in my Corsa muffler right before it went on the dyno. Knowing how the muffler is designed I doubt there was an impact on performance, but I don't know for sure.

Now I need to figure out what I'm going to do about the rattle
Old 05-13-2015, 11:06 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Defined1983
stupid question,but would this y pipe set up work with TSP 1 7/8 headers?
I have speed engineering 1 7/8 headers, which the TSP ypipe fits it, and I also have an older kooks ypipe. I held up the kooks ypipe to my headers, and it looks like it will fit.
Old 05-13-2015, 09:38 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Lightbulb

LOL, those people bought ARH instead - years ago.

What's the saying -- a day late and a dollar short...

Originally Posted by WS6_101
I'm sure that is the difference it would make, but I wouldn't call it a waste of R&D money. There are probably people that didn't buy the old y-pipe because of the merge, so the new merge will appeal to those people.

Last edited by libertyforall1776; 05-13-2015 at 09:45 PM.
Old 05-14-2015, 02:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
I have speed engineering 1 7/8 headers, which the TSP ypipe fits it, and I also have an older kooks ypipe. I held up the kooks ypipe to my headers, and it looks like it will fit.
thanks my dude
Old 05-14-2015, 06:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Bell
That's correct, still no stainless merge from FM. I recently got a catted Y-pipe with the FM merge, it's in sections. I'm gonna have all but the cat sections power coated.
You should take a look at the vibrant merge. Comes in stainless and is tig welded together. Very nice piece in my opinion.
Old 01-07-2016, 10:59 AM
Banned

Those are great numbers!

Originally Posted by Tang2
It went well, I gained 4 rwhp and 7 rwtq at the peaks going through the full Corsa catback. There was also at least a 2 rwhp increase at every RPM. I have to believe the results would have been more dramatic through a cutout, but I don't have one installed right now.

I will also add as a disclaimer that I had a baffle start rattling terribly in my Corsa muffler right before it went on the dyno. Knowing how the muffler is designed I doubt there was an impact on performance, but I don't know for sure.

Now I need to figure out what I'm going to do about the rattle
Old 06-28-2016, 01:22 PM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I spoke with kooks today and was quite disappointed with what I found out. The new Y pipe outlet is 2 3/4" so it will mate up with stock cat back. This was not what I was expecting to hear, so I asked about possibly getting a 3" outlet was told they are not making a 3" outlet and if I want 3" I could get true duals. So I asked if true duals clear aftermarket rear ends with no modifying. Again I was disappointed with what I heard they are made for stock rear ends and have not been test fitted with any aftermarket rear end. Why make all these new exhaust items only to have them exclusively work with stock components. I understand there are a lot of people with a stock rear, but come on a aftermarket cat back is an upgrade just about everyone has.
Old 08-11-2018, 09:03 PM
On The Tree

Default 02 trans am

Originally Posted by MarylandSpeed
One of the reasons we like working with Kooks so much is they continually improve their product. The LS1 F-body is no exception. In the last couple years, they have revised their LS1 headers to have merge collectors, and an extra O2 bung for wideband tuning. They also have released the best engineered true dual exhaust system on the market for the LS1 F-body.

Now their latest improvement is a redesign of their 4th Gen Y-pipes. The new system is more free flowing and based on customer feedback now includes an integrated stamped merge! This new Y-pipe design means no matter what Kooks setup you buy, you are getting the absolute best product on the market today.

One thing to note is the price is the same, and there still may be some old stock out there that will be used to full orders until depleted. Unless you specify you want the new Y-pipe, you may be sent the old design.

Pictures are below-

These can be ordered on our site at the link below on their own, or with Kooks headers!

http://marylandspeed.com/headers-ypipes-c-49_152.html

Do you know if speed engineering headers work with this kooks Y pipe ........ I have the Y but know theres great options for headers now.

Quick Reply: New Kooks Revised Y-pipe for the LS1 F-body (Now with Stamped Merge!)