Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jet Hot coating has rusted off. Now what??

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2004, 05:43 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Jet Hot coating has rusted off. Now what??

Well I had to leave my car sitting outside in the winter cause the motor was broke, so now its time to install the new motor and my headers look like CRAP!!! I dont really want to install the new motor/exhaust with those rusty things. What can I do? Can I send them back? How long are they covered by Jet Hot? Also I noticed a dent in one of the tubes I got when I hit a ditch last summer, would that void the warranty?
Thanks
Old 05-12-2004, 07:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,444 Likes on 1,002 Posts

Above is what mine look like after 18 months and being garaged almost all of the time.

If your doing a motor install call Jet Hot and talk with them because now would be the time get the headers fixed. They will probably offer to warranty the headers like they offered to warranty mine. This will only require a few weeks based on what Jet-Hot told me. Other than having to wait for your headers to be cleaned and recoated, I don't think there will be any problem with getting Jet-Hot to take care of the issue.

Good Luck.
Old 05-19-2004, 09:38 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i was thinking of getting these so what is gonna happen they rust then you spend the time taking them back off send them to jet hot get them recoated then they rust again? i thought this places coating was very good?
Old 05-20-2004, 07:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

It will always rust, in time, regardless of who does the ceramic coating. It's mild steel, you can't avoid it unless you buy good grade stainless steel headers. No ifs, ands or buts about it.
Old 05-20-2004, 08:28 AM
TECH Addict

You should be fine if your car stays out of the elements, and gets garaged. Me on the other hand, has to drive it everyday in rain /snow, and I have to park it outside. I cant afford the stainless ones or else id own a set!
Old 05-20-2004, 09:10 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CANNIBAL
It will always rust, in time, regardless of who does the ceramic coating. It's mild steel, you can't avoid it unless you buy good grade stainless steel headers. No ifs, ands or buts about it.
I have to agree. I am on my second set of coated shorties, but same deal. If you drive in the frost and road salt belt ceramic coating will deteriorate over time and you will get rust on the mild steel. Stainless is the best way to go. Lower grade stainless will often discolor somewhat, but it will not rust through.