Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headers - Stainless Works vs. QTP

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2004 | 06:30 PM
Teching In

Default Headers - Stainless Works vs. QTP

Well, I am ready to purchase my Long Tube Headers this week and I was set on QTP. Now I heard about Stainless Works and am confused once again. I will only purchase a Stainless Header which narrows the search considerably to Kooks, QTP, and now Stainless Works. Stainless works is the only one which has a stainless Y pipe as well and uses Random Tech cats which I've heard to be the best flowing.

The problem is that Stainless Works website doesn't show any pictures of the headers installed or not installed. Nor, can I find anyone out there with any photos of the Stainless Works headers installed on a 98-02 F-body. My friend has QTP and the headers look great but it looks like they could have done a better job tucking up the Y pipe. I have Eibach Pros and they lowered the car 1.25 in the front which I would like to keep if possible.

Does anyone have the Stainless Works headers on an F-body preferably a Camaro and preferably with the CAT Y pipe and could post some photos? I would really appreciate it as I am anxious to make the purchase.

Thanks,
Old 05-16-2004 | 07:11 PM
TECH Resident

Hate to add to your confusion, but another one to consider is the new Supermaxx headers. They are a stainless header that is supposedly made by the same manufacturer that make the FLP's (Dynatech I believe). Tbyrne along with several others carry these.
Old 05-16-2004 | 07:17 PM
TECH Addict

FYI one of the reasons the QTP Y-pipe isn't stainless is because it uses the flowmaster merge collector, which is by far the best one out there, and this merge only comes in aluminized steel therefore the Y is also aluminized steel.

Also another FYI. If you want a truly top notch, super tucked up tight, maximum ground clearance y-pipe then your either going to have to have a shop make a few modifications to whatever y you choose, or just have them build you one from scratch. Nobody out there can make one to fit your car perfectly since no 2 cars are exactly alike.

I bought the QTP with the high velocity merge collectors with their dual cutout y-pipe and it's still going to cost me another $200 to modify it to fit my car perfectly. I could get by as is, but that's just not my personality type That's the inside scoop on y-pipes