Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ALT issues when HOT

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2014, 06:46 AM
8 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Empatho
Your cooling system is up to par for sure, so the engine is not overheating but your alternator is. Try out an oem truck alternator, a lot of the after market alternators are junk and over heat easily or give less out put at idle.

If you have an under drive pulley you should get an over drive pulley for the alternator.
Thanks man I was on the fence of getting a truck alt but after you mentioning some aftermarket alts are junk I'm going to just get a new truck one and see if that takes the heat better if not I'll do the od pulley on the alt. I'll keep you guys posted on what works
I definitely need to get something. Just added another fuel pump so up to 3 walbro 255s and also a meth pump
Old 06-09-2014, 08:15 AM
8 Second Club

So did some testing with the new truck alternator and its actually worse. So just ordered the OD ALT pulley and will go back at it.
Old 06-16-2014, 12:48 PM
8 Second Club

Went to an ASP Alternator pulley and it def has helped a lot with volts. Will try it at the track soon and see how much of a difference it has made.
Old 08-07-2017, 12:25 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any update with this? Im having the same issue with my car. Stock wiring and pulleys with an upgraded truck alternator. Charges great when cold and on cruise, but when I stop and sit at idle voltage drops.
Old 08-07-2017, 03:35 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

How are you measuring voltage, the dash gauge reads off of the accessories inside the car.

Bring it up to an auto parts store for an alternator test, or measure voltage at the battery and see what voltage is when it's low

Quick Reply: ALT issues when HOT