Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CA Emissions Compliant Longtube Headers

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2004, 11:36 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Must be a misprint. Hooker super competitions are shorties, and are 98 legal only:

hooker_logo.jpg
hooker_carb.jpg
hookers_flanges.jpg
Old 05-25-2004, 01:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

You know, call me old fashioned, but if you're armed w/ some good info off a Cali site, I'd say make a few phone calls at the very least. I tend to agree w/ everything jrp says, because he has never led me wrong, but it's worth a phone call. And if you print it up, and hand it to the greese monkey doing your inspection, he might just decide to let you by on it. Just a thought.
Old 05-25-2004, 01:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RegWS6TA
I got this from the CARB website. I wasn't too sure about Hookers headers being longtubes, but this says that the Edelbrocks are.
Well, I did some more research on this, and those Edelbrock's are Shorty/Mid length headers. There is a picture of them on their site. The testing they had done for the CARB MUST have had the CATS on them in their stock location.
Sorry to burst the idea. Those are NOT long tube headers.

Last edited by Wildman; 05-25-2004 at 01:39 PM.
Old 05-26-2004, 03:38 PM
Teching In

You guys are correct. I just gave a quick call to Edelbrock and the tech rep said that they are NOT long tubes. Sorry, guys. I should've just called them in the first place. Now I have every reason to get QTPs.
Old 11-28-2004, 11:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default Not Long Tube

Originally Posted by RegWS6TA
I got this from the CARB website. I wasn't too sure about Hookers headers being longtubes, but this says that the Edelbrocks are.
This is an old post but it interested me because I thought the same thing when I checked out the Carb website. If you check the Edelbrock part #6672, they are actually shorty headers even though it says long tubes on the Carb website.
Old 11-29-2004, 02:43 AM
On The Tree

Keep in mind that the CARB manual was put together by those who work for the government.

Rule #1 - Those who can, do.
Rule #2 - Those who can't, teach.
Rule #3 - Those who can't teach, teach Phys Ed.
Rule #4 - Those who can't teach Phys Ed, end up as civil service employees.
Old 12-01-2004, 03:05 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Silver02
If you check the Edelbrock part #6672, they are actually shorty headers even though it says long tubes on the Carb website.
So the Edelbrock website is correct?

That's a good cross check based on exactly car information on websites. Moving the cats is illegal so they must be shorty. If there is a plaque on the header that's where you can also take a look.
Old 12-01-2004, 10:27 AM
Launching!

HI all: The Cast iron 2001-2002 Manifold flow allmost as good as Shortie Headers right. The Biggest Restriction is the outlet. I was woundering if any one ever tried porting the stock manifolds and opening up the outlet to 3 inch. Then you could run 3 inch high flow cats an a 3 inch y pipe to the cat back exhaust keeping it legal? Just an Idea could it be done?
Old 12-01-2004, 12:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Depending on your tune (sniffer test) and if the Smog guy knows what he is looking at, you will fail the visual.
I should correct myself, it is not just that you move, you can not replace your stock cats unless your old ones go bad, and even then you are supposed to use stock ones again.
California is pretty **** about this. Some guys just hollow out their cats, but that will definately fail the sniffer.

Quick Reply: CA Emissions Compliant Longtube Headers