Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much hp gain from LS6 to FAST intake?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2014, 08:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 01MAROONz2890
Damn dude pass whatever you're smoking....

First off an ls6 intake in stock form flows 247 cfm give or take. A FAST 92 flows 265 out of the box unported and a FAST 102 flows 272. Both gain quite a bit when ported but even 5-10 cfm will show a measurable dyno gain

LS6 Stock Intake
.100 72.2
.200 141.7
.300 204.4
.400 227.4
.500 247.7
.550 256.0
.600 260.5
.650 269.5

Fast 92 - Stock
.100 71.4
.200 144.7
.300 205.9
.400 235.7
.500 259.0
.550 270.8
.600 272.6
.650 276.2

Fast 102 - Stock
.100 74.4
.200 150.7
.300 211.9
.400 241.7
.500 265.6
.550 271.7
.600 274.0
.650 278.4
so you ask me what i'm smoking and then post flow numbers that validate my statement? what r you smoking? at .600 lift the difference is 10cfm... just like what i said
Old 07-23-2014, 08:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

oh and you can magically gain all kinds of horsepower basd on how your operator decides to factor things in... it doesnt really mean your gaining anything in reality though... but if imaginary numbers make people feel better than i guess that's good too... any honest person is going to tell you that a fast is not a cost effective solution to making power, but they do at least make a little more
Old 07-23-2014, 08:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

To some people, paying $1,500 for a 5 to 10 HP gain is logical; to others it's not. Not saying the LS6 to FAST intake argument is anything like this, but to some, the power gained to cost spent isn't worth it, and to some it is.
Old 07-23-2014, 08:35 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What a bunch of crap. I only bought dyno time on a DynoJet. The operator didn't even know what I had changed. Believe what you want but you can see that my curves match up and reflect a real gain not to mention close to 2 MPH trap increase. BTW "flow" is a measurement of a static pressure and does not exactly reflect what is happening in a dynamic engine. Kind like bench racing. . . .
Old 07-23-2014, 08:41 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Always2Slow
Did he cut the pulls early on those setups or did you start running into valve float?
I don't think so. Good springs with appropriate spring pressures, titanium retainers and good pushrods and geometry. I have fuel cut-off at 6,500 as it's mainly street driven. The cam is a street/strip cam rated for power at something like 2,400-6,400 RPM
Old 07-23-2014, 08:46 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Goosecaddy05
oh and you can magically gain all kinds of horsepower basd on how your operator decides to factor things in... it doesnt really mean your gaining anything in reality though... but if imaginary numbers make people feel better than i guess that's good too... any honest person is going to tell you that a fast is not a cost effective solution to making power, but they do at least make a little more
Paid less than $1,200 for 18 RWHP 20 TQ but as it always is the last few HP is what costs the most.. The cam gave me the best bang for the buck. Better heads would have maybe given twice as much but at twice the price.
Old 07-23-2014, 08:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by svede1212
What a bunch of crap. I only bought dyno time on a DynoJet. The operator didn't even know what I had changed. Believe what you want but you can see that my curves match up and reflect a real gain not to mention close to 2 MPH trap increase. BTW "flow" is a measurement of a static pressure and does not exactly reflect what is happening in a dynamic engine. Kind like bench racing. . . .

your trap speed can increase based on many variables too... since you mentioned the same thing regarding the flow vs actual engine operating conditions... what was the DA when you trapped higher vs before? are you an auto or stick bc that can account for inconsistency... was the temp the same? same track? same track prep? etc etc etc realisticly speaking fasts dont make big power gains... only way your gonna see 20rwhp gains is on a very large displacement motor, which op does not have... he will at most get 5-10hp for lots of money spent

Last edited by Goosecaddy05; 07-23-2014 at 08:49 PM. Reason: typed same trap instead of same track
Old 07-23-2014, 08:48 PM
12 Second Club

your trap speed can increase based on many variables too... since you mentioned the same thing regarding the flow vs actual engine operating conditions... what was the DA when you trapped higher vs before? are you an auto or stick bc that can account for inconsistency... was the temp the same? same trap? same track prep? etc etc etc realisticly speaking fasts dont make big power gains... only way your gonna see 20rwhp gains is on a very large displacement motor, which op does not have... he will at most get 5-10hp for lots of money spent
I use DA corrected numbers. The FAST dyno run was 12* warmer BTW. So the dyno and the track even though they lined up were all rigged and you're right. I'll bow out and and just shake my head. Closed mindedness is a hard can to open.
Old 07-23-2014, 08:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I use DA corrected numbers. The FAST dyno run was 12* warmer BTW. So the dyno and the track even though they lined up were all rigged and you're right. I'll bow out and and just shake my head. Closed mindedness is a hard can to open.
not trying to be closed minded, just hate to see people regret after spending big money... but miracles do happen
Old 07-23-2014, 09:30 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

so you ask me what i'm smoking and then post flow numbers that validate my statement? what r you smoking? at .600 lift the difference is 10cfm... just like what i said
Holy crap do you actually think the cam spends all of its time at .600 lift. Some cams dont even net .600 most of the duration of the lobe cycle is spent UNDER peak lift. AKA where the fast is out flowing the ls6 by 10-20 cfm. You also said 10 ported, these intakes are stock and still outflow the ls6 at .600 by 12-14 cfm which btw does make quite a difference in hp. Go extract another 10cfm from an ls6 intake or a cylinder head and see how much power you pick up. Peak lift flow numbers are not even closer to the whole picture.
No one said its the most cost effective mod. However if you have a cam setup it is absolutely worth 15 at least over a stock ls6 manifold and more if you have bigger cubes or a more radical setup. You should go on here and tell the hundreds of people that have picked up 15-20 after the swap with H/C or cam only setups that the dyno and track lied when the picked up and dropped et/ gained mph...
your trap speed can increase based on many variables too... since you mentioned the same thing regarding the flow vs actual engine operating conditions... what was the DA when you trapped higher vs before? are you an auto or stick bc that can account for inconsistency... was the temp the same? same track? same track prep? etc etc etc realisticly speaking fasts dont make big power gains... only way your gonna see 20rwhp gains is on a very large displacement motor, which op does not have... he will at most get 5-10hp for lots of money spent
you seriously believe that with the hundreds of contradictory threads and track results here? let alone the guy above you who posted the graph
Old 07-23-2014, 09:40 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by redbird555
Some cams dont even net .600 most of the duration of the lobe cycle is spent UNDER peak lift. AKA where the fast is out flowing the ls6 by 10-20 cfm. Peak lift flow numbers are not even closer to the whole picture. No one said its the most cost effective mod. However if you have a cam setup it is absolutely worth 15 at least over a stock ls6 manifold and more if you have bigger cubes or a more radical setup.
I'm lost in this portion in particular. Just like heads, who cares about flow numbers? Seriously.

Show me a graph where a car LOST POWER with a competent tuner when going to Fast manifold.

I've got time. I'll wait...

Again, your argument is invalid bc no matter what the intake "flows" if your pulling vacuum at WOT then it's time to look at the intake tract and the manifold itself. The Fast is a no-brainer for ANYONE wanting to pick up HP.

Then again there's those are are comfortable to leave "well enough" alone...
Old 07-23-2014, 09:53 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by dr_whigham
I'm lost in this portion in particular. Just like heads, who cares about flow numbers? Seriously.

Show me a graph where a car LOST POWER with a competent tuner when going to Fast manifold.

I've got time. I'll wait...

Again, your argument is invalid bc no matter what the intake "flows" if your pulling vacuum at WOT then it's time to look at the intake tract and the manifold itself. The Fast is a no-brainer for ANYONE wanting to pick up HP.

Then again there's those are are comfortable to leave "well enough" alone...
I'm kind of lost here. I never said a car would lose power going to a fast in fact you will ALWAYS gain with one apparently goose thinks that you wont gain anything. Flow numbers on heads can be very valid so as long as your looking at how they flow across the board and not just at peak lift.

I agree that if you pull vacuum at WOT you have an intake restriction however the flow argument should still be perfectly valid as in order to pull vacuum the engine must be totally evacuating the manifold of air thus wanting more air than it could flow at the given time.
Old 07-23-2014, 09:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by redbird555
Holy crap do you actually think the cam spends all of its time at .600 lift. Some cams dont even net .600 most of the duration of the lobe cycle is spent UNDER peak lift. AKA where the fast is out flowing the ls6 by 10-20 cfm. You also said 10 ported, these intakes are stock and still outflow the ls6 at .600 by 12-14 cfm which btw does make quite a difference in hp. Go extract another 10cfm from an ls6 intake or a cylinder head and see how much power you pick up. Peak lift flow numbers are not even closer to the whole picture.

No one said its the most cost effective mod. However if you have a cam setup it is absolutely worth 15 at least over a stock ls6 manifold and more if you have bigger cubes or a more radical setup. You should go on here and tell the hundreds of people that have picked up 15-20 after the swap with H/C or cam only setups that the dyno and track lied when the picked up and dropped et/ gained mph...

you seriously believe that with the hundreds of contradictory threads and track results here? let alone the guy above you who posted the graph
well i guess you have a fast intake as well? i never said they dont make more power lol, just not as much as people seem to claim... its the same thing with the whole 1 3/4 headers vs 1 7/8 spiel... makes almost no difference in real life... oh and those are not my words, they are from one of the biggest vendors on ls1tech but i'm not saying who bc people seem to forget this is also a money market that people's wealth depends on... so of course there needs to be good selling points to get more buisness
Old 07-23-2014, 10:01 PM
11 Second Club

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I'm glad I bought mine!
Old 07-23-2014, 10:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SoFla01SSLookinstok
I'm glad I bought mine!
me too, it helped a bit... i got a nice 7rwhp
Old 07-23-2014, 10:06 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so thats why you got on this rant.... you had dismal results so therefore they never gain what most people claim
Old 07-23-2014, 10:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

oh i gained the 7rwhp on the old motor, was a ls6 with ported heads, high compression, cam full bolt ons etc... not sure exactly how much compression, had to shave the underbelly of the ls6 intake for it to seal against the heads but the cranking compression was around 235 in each cylinder... i'd like to have all the hp i can get sir even if just a bit more so i'll keep the fast it thanks
Old 07-23-2014, 10:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 01MAROONz2890
so thats why you got on this rant.... you had dismal results so therefore they never gain what most people claim
oh and the results weren't dismal when i got it lol, i actually picked up 35rwhp lol from the fast from the baseline to the fast on the same day and the dyno lol, but compared to what i had baseline a month before i somehow lost 28 hp lol... i asked why and the guy tunning said oh it much have been because we had you on a different correction factor lol, so in reality i gained 7 from the old baseline to the new fast, but if i wanted to i could post up my baseline and fast graphs and claim stupid gains lol, but unfortunately i live in reality
Old 07-23-2014, 10:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Paid less than $1,200 for 18 RWHP 20 TQ but as it always is the last few HP is what costs the most.. The cam gave me the best bang for the buck. Better heads would have maybe given twice as much but at twice the price.
Your really under selling the mod. You gained across the board below 3500 and above it. There is always that dead spot around 3k. You have to take into consideration just because you put a fast on doesn't mean your going to gain 20rwhp if you have restrictions before the manifold. Porting the fast 92 does wonders by the way.

Last edited by Always2Slow; 07-23-2014 at 10:55 PM.
Old 07-24-2014, 09:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

So a FAST setup, and 1 7/8" longtubes have "minimal real world gains"? I guess you learn something every day.

I think the lowest gains I've seen from a FAST were like 12hp or something, on a mild setup.

It's the attention to detail that separates a 430 horse car from a 450 horse car. You may say a mod isn't worth it because it only gains 5 horsepower, but do that 5 or so times, and boom, your down 20-30 horsepower. A lot more if one of those mods is a FAST.

Take a look at Pat Gs thread "recipe to 500hp". I guarentee you that car didn't have an ls6 intake. The little things add up.

Quick Reply: How much hp gain from LS6 to FAST intake?