Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Loudmouth vs. Dynomouth vs. Borlamouth

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2004, 07:15 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loudmouth vs. Dynomouth vs. Borlamouth

i currently have loudmouth...and was looking into replacing the resomnator with the Dynomax Bullet muffler or the borla XR-1 muffler....

which do you think sounds best?
does the muffler deepen the sound?
if i were to replace it with the muffler...would there be a performance loss since both the bullet and Xr1 are straight through mufflers?
which is best with headers?
Old 05-22-2004, 07:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

No flow loss.
I don't have headers, so I don't know which would be best. My guess would be the Borla.
The DynoMax will refine the sound compared to the LM resonator.
So does the Borla.
The 2 concerns are:
Money: The Borla is very expensive. The DynoMax is not.
Clearance: The DynoMax is very tight to the floorpan, driveshaft, and road. The Borla is larger and therefore an even tighter fit.
My Dynomax lightly jingles against the ground when going over drives and speed bumps, and it is almost against the floor. My car is lowered some too though. If your car is lowered, it would be an expensive lesson to get the Borla then ruin it right away.

My .02
Dave
Old 05-22-2004, 07:39 PM
12 Second Club

is it deeper? or what?....does it sound a bit more throaty at idle? and a little more...smooth? at higher RPM's? then SLP...sound a litlle more powerful or like have more aof a roar then a scream? if that makes sense
Old 05-22-2004, 07:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It's hard to explain.
It is less raspy, but it screams at WOT.

Do you have headers now?
If so, you will probably want the long bullet, PN 24219.

I have stock exhaust with the Dynomouth and get compliments from LM guys alot. The volume is not different, just more muscular.
Dave
Old 05-22-2004, 07:49 PM
12 Second Club

which bullet you have?
Old 05-22-2004, 07:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

DynoMax PN 24222, the shorty 3" ID bullet.
Old 05-22-2004, 09:23 PM
TECH Resident

The 18" bullet will change the sound to a better, deeper tone. The 12" will do some change, not much though. The XR-1 will make it deep and throaty. If you get the 18" bullet, its basically what the TSP Rumbler is. TSP just basically replaced the resonator with a bullet, and it sounds a lot better then LM IMO.
Old 05-23-2004, 08:39 AM
12 Second Club

how big is the resonator does anyone know?....from what ive heard the Borlamouth with LT's and ORY i cant tell how good it will sound bcuz the sound clip has a cam and it has aotof like crackling
Old 05-23-2004, 09:16 AM
12 Second Club

does anyone have pics of there dynomouth set-up?...or borlamouth?

you use the bullet or XR-1 to replace the resonator right?
Old 05-23-2004, 09:56 AM
TECH Junkie

I put the dynomax bullet on to quiet down my car. Well it quieted it down at idle, but at WOT its pretty much the same as the resonator in my opinion. I think I would spend the extra money on the Borla.

Marco
Old 05-23-2004, 11:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

I put the 12" DynoMax bullet in my LM after cam/heads/headers. It barely made a difference in the loudness and only took a little edge off of the rasp. The car sounds awesome at idle and WOT, but the rest of the time it sounds very unrefined. I might change the muffler again (cheap) before I say "eff it" and go duals...
Old 05-23-2004, 12:37 PM
Staging Lane

I have LT's and a dynomouth. I used the 18 inch dynomax race bullet, at idle it sound's good, screams at WOT, but sounds terrible between 1400-2200.

when passing people on the streets, I have seen them turn and jump in there seats, Small children run for cover.

I see your in palos hills, I am in the oak park/river forest area, if you want to hear it in person PM me. I think with these systems it's better if you hear it in person before you decide, also with the windows up interior noise is pretty high.

I am going to be getting rid of it soon, as I am working on fabricating a trual dual system using oval pipe.
Old 05-23-2004, 12:43 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought the TSP Rumbler.. which is basically a dynomouth. The car sounds great at idle, but at WOT I just don't like it. TOO much rasp for my liking. I was about to purchase a Borla XR-1 muffler for it, but I said what the hell..

True duals are going on this morning.

My buddy and I are starting the work in about an hour.

But to answer your question. Don't bother going with a dynomax bullet. Get the Borla XR-1 and you'll be happy.
Old 05-27-2004, 11:45 PM
12 Second Club

My main concern with the Borlamouth is that ive heard alot of BORLA setup's and especially with LT's they get TERRIBLY RASPY AND I DO NOT LIKE IT ONE BIT...headers are in the future...not for a lil while yet but they are there...and i dont kno of any1 wiht a sound clip of either or...there is that one guy with the Dynomouth and LT's...but yes....

would the borla muffler act like any other borla setup and get terribly raspy? or would it be deeper then the Bullitt...
Old 05-28-2004, 12:06 AM
12 Second Club

i listened to some of the sound lcips of the TSP Rumbler catback sounds awesome to me...and even with the Pacesetter LT's and ORY...it sounds nice to me esspecially on that one guys with the Dark red or like Maroon Camaro
Old 05-28-2004, 01:18 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 02WS6Bird
i listened to some of the sound lcips of the TSP Rumbler catback sounds awesome to me...and even with the Pacesetter LT's and ORY...it sounds nice to me esspecially on that one guys with the Dark red or like Maroon Camaro

That's my car. Down low in the RPM range the exhaust sounds awesome, but when you get on it. It's pretty damn raspy and loud. I'm in no way saying that this is a bad exhaust. It's just not the kind of exhaust that I like.
Old 05-28-2004, 01:23 AM
12 Second Club

whats a TR230?

i dont think its yours...its the one with the stock motor...sotock heads stock cam....on ls1sounds.com....hes got his clip starts stock exhaust then he shows the transformation to full exhaust...i love it! the sound is awesome i think....its got a little rasp but thats expected from LT's and ORY...and at idle i just wanna cry it soundssoo great haha....but i really love the sound of that rumbler.....would the Dynomax 12 or 18" bullet muffler sound like identical to that or wiould the borla XR1?...if i cant get identical...as close as possible or better?
Old 05-28-2004, 04:35 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I now use one 4" Borla XR1 oval muffler right off the Y plus two 3" Dynomax bullets, one right off each header collector. This sounds the best of anything I've had so far. I liked the sound with just the XR1, but I got tagged at the last autoX peging the sound meter at 98 db, so I added the Dynomax bullets. It's now quieter and more refined rumble with no rasp at any rpm. But backpressure is still at a minimum since all three mufflers are staight through with no baffles.
Old 05-28-2004, 04:56 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 02WS6Bird
whats a TR230?

i dont think its yours...its the one with the stock motor...sotock heads stock cam....on ls1sounds.com....hes got his clip starts stock exhaust then he shows the transformation to full exhaust...i love it! the sound is awesome i think....its got a little rasp but thats expected from LT's and ORY...and at idle i just wanna cry it soundssoo great haha....but i really love the sound of that rumbler.....would the Dynomax 12 or 18" bullet muffler sound like identical to that or wiould the borla XR1?...if i cant get identical...as close as possible or better?
HAHA.. all of the clips of the Rumbler clips are mine except for the Blue Camaro, and the original of the Red TA.

It sounded nice and still sounds nice at idle with my TR230/224 cam from Thunderracing. But on the highway in 5th just accelerating is so raspy it's not even funny.

But honestly.. if you don't mind a little rasp, then the Rumbler may be for you.

Here's a little mix of stuff I put together..

Rumbler Vid
Old 05-28-2004, 11:53 PM
12 Second Club

so would Dynomouth with the 18 inch or 12 inch muyffler sound like Rumbler...i do not wish to replaces mywhole catback..so yeah...

Quick Reply: Loudmouth vs. Dynomouth vs. Borlamouth