Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dime-size hole in ARH 1 7/8 primary - what?!

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2014, 12:28 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

its honestly a nice gesture but i think it would honestly be cheaper to just get it repaired locally. on a side not why not just delete the air and egr and have the holes welded shut? I know you live in cali but I think the emissions thing went out the window went you went to lt's anyway
Old 09-18-2014, 01:04 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by redbird555
its honestly a nice gesture but i think it would honestly be cheaper to just get it repaired locally. on a side not why not just delete the air and egr and have the holes welded shut? I know you live in cali but I think the emissions thing went out the window went you went to lt's anyway
That's what I plan to do, since I can likely have a buddy TIG it back together with the header still in the car, rather than spending hours dropping it and reinstalling.

I've been tempted to delete the emissions equipment since it is indeed pointless now, but have kept it in case of a smog referee referral ticket, which would require me to revert everything back to stock for their hair-splittingly thorough inspection. I'd rather just keep the equipment on than rip it out now and have to reinstall later.
Old 09-18-2014, 01:17 PM
11 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by luigiandme
Blaming the weld is being narrow minded.
Look at the picture. Where it broke off is completely smooth and aside from discoloration from heat shows no signs a weld was ever there.

I agree it is a high stress point which does explain why the weld broke loose, but if the weld had proper penetration into the material it probably wouldn't have and it certainly wouldn't have sheered the whole bead off the header tube.
Old 09-19-2014, 02:20 PM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fruitsalad
On that note, according to ARH, the breakage was caused by the use of blockoff plates for the fittings, which were on the headers when I got them.
I didn't personally speak with you on the phone, I see you mentioned blockoff plates when you first got them?

Regardless of use of blockoff plates or not, we will gladly fix the primary and can also help in finding a local ARH dealer that may be able to handle the task quicker.

PM sent, what phone # can we reach you at?
Old 09-19-2014, 02:40 PM
TECH Regular

PM replied Steve. That information was via email with Nick, who at the same time offered the repair. I very much appreciate the concern and response by ARH, and I agree that blockoff plates (installed by a previous owner of the headers) are likely the cause of gradual weakening due to harmonics.
Old 09-19-2014, 03:04 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

PM replied Steve. That information was via email with Nick, who at the same time offered the repair. I very much appreciate the concern and response by ARH, and I agree that blockoff plates (installed by a previous owner of the headers) are likely the cause of gradual weakening due to harmonics.
Dang, I hope this doesn't happen to me. The shop that installed my ARH welded that closed to plug it...
Old 09-20-2014, 07:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

I had blocked off both of mine on a set of Kooks and they broke off. I used a 1 1/2 copper pipe sleeve that I cut and some band clamps to block the hole until I could get it to a muffler shop, they were able to weld them up on the car.
Old 09-20-2014, 09:24 AM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Damn, I have mine blocked off as well. Never thought this could be a problem till now, I'll have to keep an eye on them.
Old 09-20-2014, 10:59 AM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts

That's the high power mode/passing gear something krazy's going on vent port.

Last edited by Paul Bell; 09-20-2014 at 04:15 PM.
Old 09-20-2014, 04:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by thunderstruck507
Look at the picture. Where it broke off is completely smooth and aside from discoloration from heat shows no signs a weld was ever there.

I agree it is a high stress point which does explain why the weld broke loose, but if the weld had proper penetration into the material it probably wouldn't have and it certainly wouldn't have sheered the whole bead off the header tube.
I have disagree looking at the picture the hole looks like it lines up perfectly with the bottom toe of the weld, so part of the header tube is likely still connected to the weld. It looks like vibrations work hardened the base material causing it to fail.

Not trying to start a pissing match just stating my opinion from what i can see in the pictures.
Old 09-20-2014, 04:43 PM
10 Second Club

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Fry_
I have disagree looking at the picture the hole looks like it lines up perfectly with the bottom toe of the weld, so part of the header tube is likely still connected to the weld. It looks like vibrations work hardened the base material causing it to fail.

Not trying to start a pissing match just stating my opinion from what i can see in the pictures.
I agree with thunderstruck. There is no penetration!!! Bad weld. ARH is a great company **** happends and they will fix it.
Old 09-20-2014, 04:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Its common if the fitting isn't used. The turbulence from the exhaust created from the blocked off fitting creates more heat. At least that what I was told. Both mine broke off with the fittings blocked off.
Old 09-24-2014, 06:58 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lack of fusion.
Old 09-25-2014, 07:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by scotty2000ss
Dang, I hope this doesn't happen to me. The shop that installed my ARH welded that closed to plug it...
Thats what was done to mine. You will know when they let go. It sounds like your top end has let go.
First time I called a tow truck because I thought the motor was blown. The second time I just limped the car home, made a temporary patch to cover it and got it to a muffler shop that welded them up on the car.

Quick Reply: Dime-size hole in ARH 1 7/8 primary - what?!