Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drilling vents into exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2014, 12:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if you want to find out what it sounds like, remove the rear 02 sensor, it'll probably sound like this..... I'mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm Retarded
Old 09-22-2014, 12:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 239 Likes on 160 Posts

Your budget is $0, which means that you will have $0 to fix the exhaust after you destroy it with your idea. This means that once you regret your decision or the exhaust falls off because you drilled too many holes too close to each other, that you are going to need to borrow money from somewhere. When you need to borrow money from somewhere to fix your mistake, you go to a shady payday advance place to get the money to fix your exhaust. When you go to a shady payday advance place to the money, you become indebted to an Eastern European named Vlad. When you become indebted to an Eastern European named Vlad, you flee the state to avoid paying Vlad his 2000% interest. When you flee the state to avoid paying Vlad his 2000% interest, Vlad calls up his friends at Western Sky Financial. When Vlad calls up his friends at Western Sky Financial, they come looking for you. When they come looking for you, you end up with a tomahawk in your kneecap.

Don't end up with a Tomahawk in your kneecap. Don't drill holes in your exhaust.
Old 09-22-2014, 01:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

lol, Someone watches directv commercials too often ^^^
Old 09-22-2014, 01:21 PM
On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

will sound bad and gain you next to nothing. Seriously NOTHING. Not a single horse power. Not one.
Old 09-22-2014, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by MuhThugga
Your budget is $0, which means that you will have $0 to fix the exhaust after you destroy it with your idea. This means that once you regret your decision or the exhaust falls off because you drilled too many holes too close to each other, that you are going to need to borrow money from somewhere. When you need to borrow money from somewhere to fix your mistake, you go to a shady payday advance place to get the money to fix your exhaust. When you go to a shady payday advance place to the money, you become indebted to an Eastern European named Vlad. When you become indebted to an Eastern European named Vlad, you flee the state to avoid paying Vlad his 2000% interest. When you flee the state to avoid paying Vlad his 2000% interest, Vlad calls up his friends at Western Sky Financial. When Vlad calls up his friends at Western Sky Financial, they come looking for you. When they come looking for you, you end up with a tomahawk in your kneecap.

Don't end up with a Tomahawk in your kneecap. Don't drill holes in your exhaust.
HAHAHAHAHA. OK out of all the people, this guy sold me to not do it.

It seems like the lack of gains comes from the fact that its still a stock 2.75 in. pipe. However, my brain is manufacturing more storms comrades. Can I change the exhaust tone by drilling holes in the OUTLET pipes, in the back near the muffler? The 2.5 in pipes seem restricting so maybe if I do one 1/2 in. to 1 in. hole in each outlet right where it comes out near the muff, it won't sound that terrible. can't find anyone who did this either though

Originally Posted by scotty2000ss
Are you going to leave the clamp off after you drill the holes? I wouldn't leave a clamp off...
I was gonna leave it off unless it got too fumey. Though I have a feeling the clamp won't muffle anything without some sort of a gasket. I'm guessing e-cutouts use gaskets too

Last edited by medmechanica; 09-22-2014 at 01:40 PM.
Old 09-22-2014, 01:39 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by medmechanica
HAHAHAHAHA. OK out of all the people, this guy sold me to not do it.

It seems like the lack of gains comes from the fact that its still a stock 2.75 in. pipe. However, my brain is manufacturing more storms comrades. Can I change the exhaust tone by drilling holes in the OUTLET pipes, in the back near the muffler? The 2.5 in pipes seem restricting so maybe if I do one 1/2 in. to 1 in. hole in each outlet right where it comes out near the muff, it won't sound that terrible. can't find anyone who did this either though
Dude, I'll say it again. There is a reason no one has done this.

Just take the muffler off.
Old 09-22-2014, 01:52 PM

welllllllllll actually, some wiseguy on the corvette forums said his buddy did it to a c5 and he liked the sound so he wanted to do the same. Even said he wasn't getting any fumes in the cab after he did it. I think the guy was just looking for a more aggressive sound. I really don't want to drop the muffler. That would be way more of a hassle to weld back than a few holes. Also, I suspect that having the exhaust venting under the car is a bad idea. At the moment I'm focusing on modifying the outlet pipes, but I still don't have any sort of reference to use
Old 09-22-2014, 02:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Lets face it, these cars have been around for over 16yrs, and this site has been around for 13yrs. If there are any free mods worth doing hundreds of people have done it tested it posted it and argued about whether or not it's worth the trouble. Like I said earlier if you want to do something for free do the free ram air mod, port your TB, do the TB bump stop mod, remove your MAF screen (but save it some cars are unhappy with it out), cut your egr tube off inside the intake, and spend a few dollars at the hardware store for a fernco type smooth bellows.
Old 09-22-2014, 02:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 239 Likes on 160 Posts

Well, somebody on the Corvette forums always has a buddy who did something stupid and uses it as justification for them to do something stupid. Most Corvette owners over there tend to have more money than sense, and since you have stated that you have absolutely no money, there has to be a sliver of sense rattling around somewhere above your neckline.

You drive a 4th gen F-Body. They aren't exactly rare. I say that you should save your money until you can afford to purchase a used catback system. They float around all the time and aren't very expensive because, you know, 4th gen F-Body.
Old 09-22-2014, 02:17 PM

OK so you're saying I should do a crap load of air intake mods without doing anything on the exhaust end? Sounds real beneficial. What if descreening the MAF and porting the TB lets in so much air that the computer can't compensate on its own and I end up running lean?

Anyway, at this point I just want a better sounding exhaust. I thought the way to do that is by giving it more room to flow
Old 09-22-2014, 02:18 PM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Found a pic of the OP:

Seriously...put the ******* drill down or sell the car before you ruin it. This thread is like something you would see on the ******* Honda forum.
Old 09-22-2014, 02:28 PM

HAHAHA wooooaaaa sweet drill
Old 09-22-2014, 02:30 PM
Teching In

This guy has got to be messing with everyone. It keeps going deeper just to get you guys all fired up and ruffle feathers. There is a reason he just joined in September. there is NO WAY this is legit...
Old 09-22-2014, 02:40 PM

I don't get why everyone thinks its so crazy to modify the restrictive stock exhaust on my own because I don't have any money. I almost got sideswiped countless times by people when I had my stock 97. maybe the car is too low and people can't see it. I just want more sound from the exhaust. I'm doing it today with or without your approval. I'm just looking for tips. I'm gonna make a vid too so you can see how it sounds.
Old 09-22-2014, 02:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

OK so you're saying I should do a crap load of air intake mods without doing anything on the exhaust end? Sounds real beneficial. What if descreening the MAF and porting the TB lets in so much air that the computer can't compensate on its own and I end up running lean?

Anyway, at this point I just want a better sounding exhaust. I thought the way to do that is by giving it more room to flow
No you won't run lean, the MAF and O2 sensors will correct it. And the reason for all intake mods and no exhaust mods is because there are no free exhaust mods. Save your money for a cat back.
Old 09-22-2014, 02:59 PM

I did consider descreening the MAF but decided against it. It does seem like the power gains would be much better if all that air had somewhere to escape.
Old 09-22-2014, 03:02 PM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

because it's so ******* ricey it's basically the equivalent of "I don't have any money but I want nitrous so I'm going to run a piece of rubber hose into my air filter and just crack the bottle open when I want to spray"
Old 09-22-2014, 03:15 PM

No I get it. Its ricey because I'm broke as **** and wanna get airflow and a nicer sound, so I'm tryin to improv something, while you guys spent $300+ on your exhaust so you just can't imagine how someone could wanna use their brain to try and think of ideas for fabbin something up. Sure there's a chance of failure but I at least wanna try. Especially since no one seems to wanna experiment with this, even though its so easy to weld it back together. You know, its easy to throw a buncha money at the car and get a perfect *** exhaust. Its not so easy when you all you have is a couple drill bits and a dream
Old 09-22-2014, 03:21 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ok now I know this guy is BS and just messing with us.
Old 09-22-2014, 03:23 PM
Staging Lane

I don't get why everyone thinks its so crazy to modify the restrictive stock exhaust on my own because I don't have any money. I almost got sideswiped countless times by people when I had my stock 97. maybe the car is too low and people can't see it. I just want more sound from the exhaust. I'm doing it today with or without your approval. I'm just looking for tips. I'm gonna make a vid too so you can see how it sounds.

When it comes down to it, it's your car, you can do whatever you want with it. We're just trying to help because we've been there before. If you don't see how adding leaks to your exhaust is a horrible idea then there's no helping you.. If you seriously can't afford a $30 cutout then i have one question; How are you filling this thing with fuel?? "almost" getting sideswiped is the worst reason for a stupid mod i've ever heard. What the hell does one have to do with the other?? Exhaust is NOT the answer.. do you think honda accords are too low? how often are they "almost sideswiped" for being too quiet or too low? Here's a tip for ya: "Anything worth doing is worth doing right". Maybe you should write that down.
and why bother posting a video? we know what an LT car sounds like with ****/rusted exhaust. Hint: it sounds like ****
Maybe you should cover it in reflective tape or orange-cone plasti-dip

Quick Reply: Drilling vents into exhaust