Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

pre long tube install checklist

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2015, 03:46 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default pre long tube install checklist

Have my headers sitting in the kitchen now. Got new gaskets, O2 extensions, plugs n wires and true dual kit also. Those who have been through it before what am I missing? 01 firehawk btw. Thanks
Old 01-22-2015, 07:40 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Id absolutely, 100%, positively, do poly engine mounts while the headers are out!!! Its a no brainer from a maitenance stand point and also keeps the added power from damaging the stockers more than they probably already are. I have dd my last 3 fbodys over 100 miles a day with poly mounts and had absolutely no adverse effects on engine vibration or anything else so no worries there. Id reuse the stock header gaskets as they almost never go bad. I have reused stockers on 2 different 170k+ header swaps with no issues. Last ones had 234k on them still going strong with a Vortech supercharger for the last 50k or so. Get new header bolts and use a little silver antiseze on them and the plug threads for ease of removing in the future. You will probably want to ditch the o2 extensions as they tend to go bad at the worst possible times causing big time fueling issues and make the car barely driveable at best. If you dont wanna repin the rear o2 sensor wires inplace of the front ones in the computer harness then Id suggest getting o2's for a 2002 zo6 corvette. They have longer wires and better heater elements in them. That should get you giong in the right direction.
Old 01-22-2015, 08:34 AM
Launching!

I ended up going with stock motor mounts and stock transmisson mount. I have no experience with poly engine mounts but I do with poly transmission mount and it vibrates and gets worse with age and mileage. Would only use the poly trans mount if my car was just a drag purpose car.
Old 01-22-2015, 09:19 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by DaSkinnyGuy
I ended up going with stock motor mounts and stock transmisson mount. I have no experience with poly engine mounts but I do with poly transmission mount and it vibrates and gets worse with age and mileage. Would only use the poly trans mount if my car was just a drag purpose car.
Good call, I should have mentioned that. I tried a poly trans mount and it vibrated so bad I thought the ds was gonna fall out of the car. I tried with and without the metal shim but it made no difference at all. I used the stock auto tranny mount with poly engine mounts and they worked great together. You cant tell the difference until the trans shifts. It makes the trans shift feel more firm due to the fact the poly mounts transfer the engine power better than soft rubber ones do.
Old 01-22-2015, 01:46 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by JRENIGAR
Id absolutely, 100%, positively, do poly engine mounts while the headers are out!!! Its a no brainer from a maitenance stand point and also keeps the added power from damaging the stockers more than they probably already are. I have dd my last 3 fbodys over 100 miles a day with poly mounts and had absolutely no adverse effects on engine vibration or anything else so no worries there. Id reuse the stock header gaskets as they almost never go bad. I have reused stockers on 2 different 170k+ header swaps with no issues. Last ones had 234k on them still going strong with a Vortech supercharger for the last 50k or so. Get new header bolts and use a little silver antiseze on them and the plug threads for ease of removing in the future. You will probably want to ditch the o2 extensions as they tend to go bad at the worst possible times causing big time fueling issues and make the car barely driveable at best. If you dont wanna repin the rear o2 sensor wires inplace of the front ones in the computer harness then Id suggest getting o2's for a 2002 zo6 corvette. They have longer wires and better heater elements in them. That should get you giong in the right direction.
x2 on everything here especially the poly motor mounts. If you're removing the AIR it will throw a check engine until you get it tuned out. It won't have any impact on how the car drives though.
Old 01-22-2015, 02:52 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Big difference between the Prothane and the energy suspension poly trans mount... I ran Spohn solid motor mounts and Prothane trans mount and noticed no difference myself. The ES is known to cause unwanted vibrations.
Old 01-22-2015, 04:13 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

My buddy has a prothane and its hardly noticeable. I ran an ES one for a bit and hated it very stiff and vibrated everything in the car. I run a stock rubber one in back now with poly MM's and it drives just like a stock car no added vibes, until the cam went in lol
Old 01-22-2015, 07:38 PM
Staging Lane

Mounts aren't in the budget for now. I may get the header bolts though. And I'll have new O2 sensors by the time we install. Any part # on the vette ones? Will be getting tuned within a month or so.
Old 01-22-2015, 08:31 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by VolHawk
Mounts aren't in the budget for now. I may get the header bolts though. And I'll have new O2 sensors by the time we install. Any part # on the vette ones? Will be getting tuned within a month or so.
If that's the case Id honestly wait until you could squeeze $70 more into the equation for the motor mounts. Trust me, us!
Old 01-22-2015, 09:08 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Vette O2's 13111

You should definitely hold off on the install if you don't have the mounts...

Quick Reply: pre long tube install checklist