Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TSP 1 7/8 vs Speed Engineering 1 7/8 Headers

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2016, 02:41 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rybern
I am considering the same thing. How was the transition between the SE headers and Black Heart TD's? Any photos to share?
https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...cats-home.html

That thread should give you all you need. I haven't done mine yet, just got the ball and socket collectors in the mail today and should have it all finished by the end of the weekend.
Old 06-02-2016, 03:14 PM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by JustinZ
https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...cats-home.html

That thread should give you all you need. I haven't done mine yet, just got the ball and socket collectors in the mail today and should have it all finished by the end of the weekend.
Thats fantastic. I haven't seen that. Thanks a million.
Old 06-03-2016, 10:37 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

TSP 1-7/8" headers here. Amazing quality!! Plus seamless tubing so no worries about the tubes splitting.
Old 06-04-2016, 11:05 AM
12 Second Club

I contacted Speed Engineering and Sam said "The primary tube is a 16 gauge stainless steel." I also asked if they were seamless and got no response to that question.
Old 06-14-2016, 12:34 PM
12 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
Talking

Texas speed headers are awesome, I also have 1 7/8" I highly recommend them. Fitment, quailty and performance is top notch!
Old 06-17-2016, 04:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

I've owned both tsp and speed engineering and noticed no difference to make it worth paying extra for tsp. They are both Chinese made and probably by the same company.
Old 06-17-2016, 07:31 PM
11 Second Club

Received 118 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by 1bdbrd
I've owned both tsp and speed engineering and noticed no difference to make it worth paying extra for tsp. They are both Chinese made and probably by the same company.
I haven't owned either one but from the pics, looks like the TSP are a bit more equal length than the SE headers? The pipes on both rear cylinders a little longer on the TSP
Old 06-22-2016, 09:20 AM
12 Second Club

My SE LT's came in on Monday. As others have mentioned, the exterior welds are very nice and the headers look very nice. My SE 1 7/8" LT's weigh just over 10lbs each. I am a little picky and ended up touching up the inside welds a bit where the flanges meet the tubes and also removed a few boogers on the inside where the tubes meet the collector.

Shipping and handling leaves a lot to be desired. Both tubes were in bags, but the headers, gaskets and bolts were in a box loose with only one piece of cardboard between the headers. I'm shocked that my OEM Gaskets were not damaged. One of the collectors had to be straightend out a little bit too. I'm also underwhelmed by the included bolts and will be using some better ones with larger hexes and flanges.

My biggest concern is that these tube are not seamless tubing. They were not specified as seamless tubing so I cannot be upset about this. So, this seems to be the main difference between the TSP and SE. If I had known for a fact that these were not seamless, I may have sprung for the TSP's.

Overall I'm happy with these and I think they are a great value. Hopefully the install will go smoothly.
Old 06-22-2016, 10:04 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by rybern
My SE LT's came in on Monday. As others have mentioned, the exterior welds are very nice and the headers look very nice. My SE 1 7/8" LT's weigh just over 10lbs each. I am a little picky and ended up touching up the inside welds a bit where the flanges meet the tubes and also removed a few boogers on the inside where the tubes meet the collector.

Shipping and handling leaves a lot to be desired. Both tubes were in bags, but the headers, gaskets and bolts were in a box loose with only one piece of cardboard between the headers. I'm shocked that my OEM Gaskets were not damaged. One of the collectors had to be straightend out a little bit too. I'm also underwhelmed by the included bolts and will be using some better ones with larger hexes and flanges.

My biggest concern is that these tube are not seamless tubing. They were not specified as seamless tubing so I cannot be upset about this. So, this seems to be the main difference between the TSP and SE. If I had known for a fact that these were not seamless, I may have sprung for the TSP's.

Overall I'm happy with these and I think they are a great value. Hopefully the install will go smoothly.
One of the collectors on mine was dented from shipping also. Not a big deal but something that could have been easily avoided.
Old 06-26-2016, 02:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

This weekend, i swapped a set of 1 7/8 tsp long tubes for a set of speed engineering headers. I did it in an attempt to reduce under hood temps... i wrapped the speed engineering headers.

The collector locations were different, the speed engineering ones were forward in the car around 3-4", meaning they did not perfectly trade spots. I had to do some cutting and welding to get the exhaust to mate up.

Buf overall, they fit just as well as the tsp pieces.
Old 06-26-2016, 05:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by themealonwheels
This weekend, i swapped a set of 1 7/8 tsp long tubes for a set of speed engineering headers. I did it in an attempt to reduce under hood temps... i wrapped the speed engineering headers.

The collector locations were different, the speed engineering ones were forward in the car around 3-4", meaning they did not perfectly trade spots. I had to do some cutting and welding to get the exhaust to mate up.

Buf overall, they fit just as well as the tsp pieces.
I had tsp 1 3/4's and their TD's. I decided to swap to 1 7/8's and wasn't sure if the speed engineering would mate up with out modifications. I opted to spend the little extra again for the tsps and I'm glad I did after reading your post.
Old 06-28-2016, 04:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

After a lot of research, I was going to pick up a set of Speed Engineering long tubes. Instead, I picked up themealonwheels TSPs when he swapped them out! Gotta love the friends and family used parts discount!
Old 07-04-2016, 11:54 AM
Teching In

I installed SE LT's this winter on my WS6, Couldn't be happier for the price. Runnin cat-less Y into a borla muffler and the sound is absolutely amazing. Doesn't drone out on the interstate (M6 with 3.42s) Which I was extremely surprised about. I used studs instead of bolts for mounting it to the head which was WAY easier getting them set by myself. They're not the lowest point on the car either, might just be my personal setup but a section of the Y will scrape before the collector or any part of the longtubes will. Only thing I would suggest would be using lap-style clamps on every part. I battled exhaust leaks until finally ordering lap-joint style
Old 07-04-2016, 05:47 PM
12 Second Club

SE LT's install went smoothly. I did poly mounts at the same time... along with Hooker BH duals. As far as the header install went, I had to remove the steering shaft to get the driver side in. And of course I removed the starter on the passenger side. I did the install 100% solo. I took two 8mm bolts and turned down(on a lathe) the head down to little bit larger than 8mm. I screwed the bolts through the gaskets to hold the gaskets in place and also to hold the header in place when I get it in position. I inserted my new header bolts in the other 4 locations and then removed my modified bolts and installed the last 2 header bolts. Worked like a champ.
Old 12-22-2018, 07:29 PM
Launching!

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Just got my SE LT's 1 7/8.
Old 12-22-2018, 08:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,022 Likes on 2,353 Posts

Originally Posted by WBO_COTTO
Just got my SE LT's 1 7/8.
That's nice. Everyone here was last around about 2 years ago....
Old 12-23-2018, 11:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 57 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by G Atsma
So?
I'm looking at buying a set of 1 7/8 headers.
WBO_COTTO, anything different, improved, or a change in quality?
Old 12-27-2018, 05:37 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by G Atsma
Thanks for the 411 Captain Obvious....
Old 12-27-2018, 05:38 PM
Launching!

AMAZING! There is a Youtube video of a red Trans-Am installing SE headers. get them!
Old 12-27-2018, 06:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,022 Likes on 2,353 Posts

Originally Posted by WBO_COTTO
Thanks for the 411 Captain Obvious....
You come on here announcing you got a set of headers. Not dissing that. But now that we all know, is there a question or comment?

Quick Reply: TSP 1 7/8 vs Speed Engineering 1 7/8 Headers