Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

anyone using these cheaper catch cans off of amazon/ebay?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2015, 08:34 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default anyone using these cheaper catch cans off of amazon/ebay?

Need to put a catch can on my 98 ls1 trans am that I just finished installing a turbo and was curious about these catch cans on amazon/ebay that go for around $40. Just seeing if anyone has one of these installed, or should I just spend the money and get the one of the ws6 project store it seems to be nicely built and it's around $100.
Old 03-22-2015, 08:37 AM
TECH Apprentice

Might mouse solutions and don't think twice.
Old 03-22-2015, 05:44 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Mighty Mouse or or Mike Norris
Old 03-22-2015, 05:48 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Elite engineering can are the best!
Old 03-22-2015, 08:28 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by DirtyBirdMKE
Mighty Mouse or Mike Norris
I second this. I've got a Norris. I've had one before on the Camaro. If MM had one in stock when I was ready, I'd have his.
Old 03-23-2015, 06:54 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

If you were to decide on a low cost ebay can, be sure to modify it. On the right is an ebay can. Both inlet & outlet ports are side by side & @ the same depth inside the can. So, some oil travels directly from the inlet port & into the outlet port, then to your intake. Add an extension to either internal port so that they don't terminate @ the same depth within the can. This way oil won't walk across from one to the other. Get rid of that external sight tubing. These fittings leak. Install an in-line fuel filter between the can & the vacuum source, as well.
Attached Thumbnails anyone using these cheaper catch cans off of amazon/ebay?-amwandebaycan001.jpg  
Old 03-23-2015, 10:18 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by MyFirstLS1
Yes!

And get the pcv valve version from him
Old 03-23-2015, 12:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by MyFirstLS1
^This^ - Been there, done that. With the eBay can I still had a lot of oil in the intake.....
Old 03-24-2015, 09:38 AM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I just don't understand the high price of these things...I made one for about $5 with pvc pipe joints/caps, some brass fittings, and stainless kitchen scrubber as a filter to aid in condensation of the oil vapor. It works like a champ but would be better if it was made from metal with a screw on cap.

Seems someone should be able to make something similar and sell them for a reasonable price...

Old 03-24-2015, 10:04 AM
12 Second Club

I bought an ebay one for about $30 and filled it with copper scrub pads. I used the revised GM PCV and new rubber lines. No oil in the intake and hardly burns any oil anymore. 221k on the motor now!
Old 03-24-2015, 11:10 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Of course you can make one yourself for dirt cheap, I wouldn't bolt up a piece of white plastic in my engine bay.

I'd rather pay for a finished product that looks good
Old 03-24-2015, 11:19 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Burken01
Of course you can make one yourself for dirt cheap, I wouldn't bolt up a piece of white plastic in my engine bay.

I'd rather pay for a finished product that looks good
That wasn't my point.

I would pay for a finished product too if it were priced more modestly. Something custom machined from a giant piece of billet is not necessary. I've been unable to find something similar in size to what I made for a more reasonable price or I would buy one in an instant.

And that picture is before it was painted. Painted satin black it disappears from site since it's so small.

I also realize some of the high end catch cans are more sophisticated. But seeing as how mine works fine, I would be more than happy with a product of similar simplicity.
Old 03-24-2015, 07:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by thunderstruck507
That wasn't my point.

I would pay for a finished product too if it were priced more modestly. Something custom machined from a giant piece of billet is not necessary. I've been unable to find something similar in size to what I made for a more reasonable price or I would buy one in an instant.

And that picture is before it was painted. Painted satin black it disappears from site since it's so small.

I also realize some of the high end catch cans are more sophisticated. But seeing as how mine works fine, I would be more than happy with a product of similar simplicity.
Good read: (post #28 and #29)
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...-update-2.html

Your paying for the engineering that went into the can as well. Something that works "ok" for a car that just sees street driving and the occasional drag race isn't going to cut it for real racing (road course).
Old 03-25-2015, 07:09 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

The question was regarding ebay cans or inexpensive cans. It's not difficult to modify the ebay can or to build your own, as Thunderstruck posted.

I had written a reply further explaining the ebay can mods listed in my original post & decided not to after seeing Thunderstrucks' post. Figured one solution was enough.

It is possible to DIY a can that performs just as well as the over priced cans.
Old 03-25-2015, 08:23 AM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey thunderstruck507 , that's thinking outside the can. One question though, how do you empty it ?
Old 03-25-2015, 09:09 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by JD_AMG

Your paying for the engineering that went into the can as well. Something that works "ok" for a car that just sees street driving and the occasional drag race isn't going to cut it for real racing (road course).
Fair enough.

And while I don't road race, I'm extremely hard on my car a large portion of the time I drive it. It's mostly used for hitting backroads, autox, and drag. I can't remember the last time I drove it and it didn't see WOT. I also do a lot of manually holding gears with the automatic so it sees a lot of decel engine braking. It's not uncommon to have several spoonfuls of oil in that homemade can in a couple hundred miles. That was with the tired ls1, hoping to see less with the low mile ls2 that's going into it. Looking at the pics in the thread you linked mine works basically the same way even down to the filter material on some of them.

Like I said, it's not as complex and thorough as some of the high end cans...but it works surprisingly well. To be honest I made it to see if my car "needed" a can at all and then was going to buy one. After seeing how well it was working I decided to keep using it and look for better materials to improve it later.

I like its compact size. My routing is different than a stock fbody and the line comes off the rear driver side valvecover, up to the small can which is tucked behind the Corvette style alternator bracket, to a nipple on the side of the FAST behind the throttle body. It basically hides behind that bracket resting on the front driver side coil pack.

Originally Posted by squalor
Hey thunderstruck507 , that's thinking outside the can. One question though, how do you empty it ?
It consists of a pipe joint and 2 pipe caps. The top cap is glued into the joint and the fittings are drilled and glued into it. The lower cap fits extremely snug but is not glued in place so I just use a pair of channel lock pliers to grab it and twist it out of the cap. This is my only complaint with it and why I would prefer a metal housing that had a screw on cap.

I'm always keeping an eye out for a cheap pot smoker stash can or I think sport bike guys like to use similar cylinder containers.
Old 10-27-2016, 08:10 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

good idea of Thunderstruck's post
Old 10-28-2016, 11:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 228 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by thunderstruck507
hoping to see less with the low mile ls2 that's going into it.
https://www.getyarn.io/yarn-clip/f44...d-5352081313c8
Old 10-28-2016, 04:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

IMO, if you are going to do things right, get a well designed product. The ebay cans are generally junk and functionally almost worthless. You at least want one with some actual filtering material. MM, Mike Norris, RX, Elite seem well liked and well engineered.
Old 10-28-2016, 06:03 PM
12 Second Club

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Default gm revised pcv

What is the gm revised pcv valve. And part number

Quick Reply: anyone using these cheaper catch cans off of amazon/ebay?