Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

P0342 driving me crazy!

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2015, 08:32 AM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default P0342 driving me crazy!

I got my swap running well kinda, its idling at 1750rpm no matter what I do. Only code that is being thrown is the damn P0342. When cold it takes like 3-4 LONG starts, backfires etc. once running it runs great other than the high idle of course, usually after shutting it down it will fire up no problem.

I have swapped the Cam sensor with an unknown spare, no change. Check the voltage at the Pins. Im measuring 11.xV Key on. Now am I supposed to be seeing a 5V on one of the other pins also or is that when the car is running and the cam OUTPUTS 5V to the PCM? Only thing I can think of is spread pins? I will pull the sensor pigtail tonight and see if I can tighten them up. I have checked the wiring to the PCM and it all checks out and I measured the resistance and all seems fine. Last check is pulling the front half of the motor apart to check cam bolts. I know I torqued them to spec with Loctite though.

Im assuming the idle is due to the cam sensor. On my EFI Scan tool it was showing 23 degree’s timing when running at 1750rpm, but when I pull up the EFIlive and look over the maps it was idling in the 1.20 gram column and 7.7 degree’s in the base spark park/neutral charts.

Fuel pressure is good, spark doesn’t seem to be an issue (no misfire codes etc) Holding a steady 20-21in/hg Vac on my Innovate SCG1 Seemed like any tune changes made the idle worse (it would surge 1400-1750-1400 etc. So I figured deal with clearing this damn code first. Everything on Scan tool seems to be on par, injector duty/o2’s etc. LTFT is pulling a good amount of fuel but it is a base tune from my buddies 6.0L with some fuel pulled

Rundown.
EFIlive Custom OS 3 bar
2005 Gen3 5.3 (24x)
LS6 Cam/BTR springs
Other than that’s stock internals

Thanks for any input!

Jay
Old 06-02-2015, 04:39 AM
11 Second Club

Well looks like im searching through the harness. after checking all the wiring from the PCM plug to the Cam sensor now all of a sudden the car fires right up but dies right away. Cam High/low counts seem to be fine on the scan tool

Jay
Old 06-02-2015, 11:41 AM
11 Second Club

Well after countless hours of seraching I may have figured out the no start issue. When I was logging the other day I noticed the MAF Errors. So went into EFIlive and set the maf to X NOT REPORTED. not even thinking about the custom OS manual. That may be my issue.

Ill report back tonight as I hate to see threads like this die with no outcome. Most of the ones I found end up that way

Jay
Old 06-02-2015, 10:34 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

U said swap. What harness are using?
Old 06-03-2015, 05:17 AM
11 Second Club

I built the harness from scratch. Depinned a 5.3L harness and repinned it for an Fbody.

UPDATE! It was a tune issue. Somewhere in the middle of trying to figure out my high idle issue I changed something that the COS3 didnt like. Went back to my very first tune I tossed in (t56 tune) and the car fired right up and idled around the commanding 900rpm. the original P0342 issue must have been somewhere in the pigtail connector. I did try to tighten the prongs up a tad, that must have dont it.

Jay

Quick Reply: P0342 driving me crazy!