Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Am I Diagnosing This Misfire Correctly?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2015, 12:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Am I Diagnosing This Misfire Correctly?

So I got a misfire code and checked it out using the old school method of spraying water on the header tubes. The misfire is not random. It is specific to the 6 and 5 cylinders. Has to be a coil, spark plug or wire....right?

A little history....The long block has just 9500 miles since new. The coil pack is the older style. It was a "used" purchase. The spark plugs and wires were new. The fuel injectors were used but I had them cleaned and flowed. I had the gas tank flushed, a new fuel pump and sock installed. The gas filter was replaced. The truck intake was cleaned. Everything ran great except during it's only summer. The truck stalls on hot days and I'm pretty sure it's because the Granatelli MAF sensor is throwing very sporadic rich codes. A new stock truck MAF has been ordered. I'm thinking the rich mixture has finally fouled those two plugs and my older coil pack can't compensate.
Old 06-15-2015, 09:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

easiest way to diagnose a misfire is one by one swap an injector with a known working one, swap a coil, swap, a wire replace all plugs. if the misfire moves when you swap one part you found your problem
Old 06-16-2015, 05:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

That's my plan then....
Thanks.
Old 06-17-2015, 01:17 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

To your list you can add intake runner gasket leaks,
and fuel injector delivery (imbalance) both of which
could make one hole go lean.

I've seen people say that the misfire cylinder number
is not reliable, can be off from the real culprit position.
So if you can't find a cause, may try swapping to the
left and right and look for the reported misfire to move,
no matter what cylinder it says it's about. Keep your
eye on the thing that's being swapped, and look for
whether it made a difference - expected position or not.
Old 06-23-2015, 05:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

Great advice. Thanks.
I went ahead and purchased the upgraded truck coils with the heat sinks. It's an upgrade I've wanted to do for awhile. I had some rewards points through AutoZone so I bought their highest quality lifetime plug wires and some TR5 plugs. Didn't help. Replaced the Granatelli MAF with a stock truck. Did nothing but lose power. Guess those things work...LOL. Still chasing those two weak code throwing cylinders. Will check the intake gasket with starting fluid and change the two fuel injectors if need be. When I had the injectors cleaned 18 months ago, the shop said they had to run two of the injectors through the cleaning process twice to get them to work. Maybe those are the culprits.
Old 06-23-2015, 08:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

No vacuum leaks. Fuel pressure is at 53 lbs at idle.
Old 06-23-2015, 10:33 PM

Received 1,836 Likes on 1,145 Posts

Originally Posted by Bilster
No vacuum leaks. Fuel pressure is at 53 lbs at idle.
Fuel should hold 58 psi at redline. However I doubt that would make two cylinders dead and no other symptoms. Still an indication your fuel pump is done
Old 06-24-2015, 03:43 AM

It's an upgrade I've wanted to do for awhile.
Old 06-24-2015, 11:37 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Darth_V8r
Fuel should hold 58 psi at redline. However I doubt that would make two cylinders dead and no other symptoms. Still an indication your fuel pump is done
Now you have me thinking..... So the motor is a swap into a 1998 Ford F150. I tried to eliminate any issues by purchasing new parts as I performed the swap. I bought a fuel pump designed for a Lightning because it was a straight swap. It was a high volume pump and being a newbie to LS motors, it didn't occur to me that the Lightning doesn't require the higher fuel pressure that an LS motor does. I have been fooled by the high volume = higher pressure trap. I'm thinking (hoping) that the two weaker fuel injectors are now being affected by a drop in pressure as my fuel filter gets loaded. I have probably always was on the edge of not having enough fuel pressure because the Ford fuel system was not designed for it. But because everything was new, it got by. Thoughts??
Old 06-24-2015, 12:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If you have a return line on your rails, then fuel pressure will be less at an idle. Check it with the vacuum line to the regulator disconnected. 53lbs sounds about right for idle with the regulator connected to vacuum, 58 with it disconnected.

What do those 2 plugs look like compared to the others. Post a picture if you can.

Last edited by Bowtie316; 06-24-2015 at 12:24 PM.
Old 06-24-2015, 01:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Bowtie316
If you have a return line on your rails, then fuel pressure will be less at an idle. Check it with the vacuum line to the regulator disconnected. 53lbs sounds about right for idle with the regulator connected to vacuum, 58 with it disconnected.

What do those 2 plugs look like compared to the others. Post a picture if you can.
I'll check with the vacuum line disconnected. Thanks for the lead. There was nothing different about the two plugs. They all looked somewhat fouled. I should have purchased the TR5s from the get go. The high dollar platinums with the tiny electrodes seem like a waste of money. I also gapped them incorrectly. Had about .010 too much. That was a year and a half ago so I can't tell you how I made that mistake.
Old 06-24-2015, 01:21 PM

Received 1,836 Likes on 1,145 Posts

Now you have me thinking..... So the motor is a swap into a 1998 Ford F150. I tried to eliminate any issues by purchasing new parts as I performed the swap. I bought a fuel pump designed for a Lightning because it was a straight swap. It was a high volume pump and being a newbie to LS motors, it didn't occur to me that the Lightning doesn't require the higher fuel pressure that an LS motor does. I have been fooled by the high volume = higher pressure trap. I'm thinking (hoping) that the two weaker fuel injectors are now being affected by a drop in pressure as my fuel filter gets loaded. I have probably always was on the edge of not having enough fuel pressure because the Ford fuel system was not designed for it. But because everything was new, it got by. Thoughts??
I don't know what the Ford fuel pressure is, but you should look it up. If with the vacuum line pulled its ok, then it's all good. I have a hard time thinking low pressure would cause only two cylinders issues. More likely it would cause lower than expected performance. I just keyed off of it Ina "you might also want to check on this" sort of way
Old 06-24-2015, 01:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'll check with the vacuum line disconnected. Thanks for the lead. There was nothing different about the two plugs. They all looked somewhat fouled. I should have purchased the TR5s from the get go. The high dollar platinums with the tiny electrodes seem like a waste of money. I also gapped them incorrectly. Had about .010 too much. That was a year and a half ago so I can't tell you how I made that mistake.

If the plugs all look the same and you have 2 weak cylinders, it would generally indicate a mechanical problem. I would check compression on all cylinders. If that doesn't indicate a problem, I would move the injectors to different cylinders to see if the weak cylinders move.
Old 06-24-2015, 03:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Do a compression test, then a leak down test.Ii had cyl 7 completely dead triedeverything. Did a comp test had 0 the needle didn't even flick. Did a leak down had a wide open leak. Pulled the head had a pcv pipe clip holding myvalves open from my intake swap. Must've dropped it inthere by mistake. When you do a leak test listen to the throttle body, if you hear air you have a leaking intake valve listen to the exhaust if you hear air it's an exhaust valve problem.Listen to the pcv breather if you hear air it's a bottom end issue.

Also pull your valve cover check for broken valve springs or bent push rods
Old 06-24-2015, 09:53 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The Fords of the '80s / '90s all were 3-bar (42-ish PSI).
The GM scheme has a blowoff regulator on the return
and the pump just gives 'er all it's got, has to provide
a pressure surplus. If you are pump limited at idle then
you're hosed (heh) at the big end. Most GMs (and all
4th gen F-body donors) had non-manifold-referenced
fuel pressure and if you are putting vacuum (manifold
pressure) to the regulator then you need to fundamentally
change your IFR table, which as-stock models a variation
in fuel shot with manifold vacuum; a manifold referenced
regulator eliminates that trend (and it's not a bad thing,
can help consistency, but you need to model it right).

There are spreadsheets out there that can help you
with that.
Old 06-24-2015, 10:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by jimmyblue
The Fords of the '80s / '90s all were 3-bar (42-ish PSI).
The GM scheme has a blowoff regulator on the return
and the pump just gives 'er all it's got, has to provide
a pressure surplus. If you are pump limited at idle then
you're hosed (heh) at the big end. Most GMs (and all
4th gen F-body donors) had non-manifold-referenced
fuel pressure and if you are putting vacuum (manifold
pressure) to the regulator then you need to fundamentally
change your IFR table, which as-stock models a variation
in fuel shot with manifold vacuum; a manifold referenced
regulator eliminates that trend (and it's not a bad thing,
can help consistency, but you need to model it right).

There are spreadsheets out there that can help you
with that.
Since the truck ran well at low to midrange for a year and a half, my plan to address the pump was to adapt a Walboro designed for the LS motor. While I don't believe it will solve my two cylinder dilemma, it should cure some fuel delivery issues that crept up from time to time. I ordered 2 new injectors to replace the two from the misfiring cylinders. They were cheap ($18 each). I'll do a compression check Friday and a leak down Saturday to isolate any mechanical issues.

Just for reference, the Ford uses a return system. I went with an older Silverado intake that has a built-in regulator (new) with a factory return set up.
Old 06-25-2015, 01:30 AM

I had some rewards points through AutoZone so I bought their highest quality lifetime plug wires and some TR5 plugs.
Old 06-25-2015, 08:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Since the truck ran well at low to midrange for a year and a half, my plan to address the pump was to adapt a Walboro designed for the LS motor. While I don't believe it will solve my two cylinder dilemma, it should cure some fuel delivery issues that crept up from time to time. I ordered 2 new injectors to replace the two from the misfiring cylinders. They were cheap ($18 each). I'll do a compression check Friday and a leak down Saturday to isolate any mechanical issues.

Just for reference, the Ford uses a return system. I went with an older Silverado intake that has a built-in regulator (new) with a factory return set up.
Not related to the 2 cylider issue, but is the pcm tuned for the injectors and return system you are using? were they from the same donor vehicle?
Old 06-26-2015, 02:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Bowtie316
Not related to the 2 cylider issue, but is the pcm tuned for the injectors and return system you are using? were they from the same donor vehicle?
Yes....the PCM came from the harness builder with my build information. Curious....what PCM modifications would be needed if I went returnless?
Old 06-27-2015, 03:54 PM
Teching In

I had a misfire recently. Gave me loud backfires. Found out that I burned a sparkplug wire awhile back and then as it got older the burn spot became brittle and formed cracks thay exposed the inside wire.

Quick Reply: Am I Diagnosing This Misfire Correctly?