Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what changes for 4barrel style tb

Old 07-23-2015, 12:48 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what changes for 4barrel style tb

i am curious what else has to be done to use a 4 barrel style throttle body. i would like to mate it with a super victor intake manifold..

i keep reading about swapping to speed density tuning?? i am not familiar with that.. What does speed density mean, and what is the difference?

also is there anything else i would have to change or worry about, using a 4 barrel or 4150 style tb??

thanks for the info. i searched a lot but couldn't find an exact answer.
Old 07-25-2015, 09:16 PM
Staging Lane

anyone, anyone???? bueeller??
Old 07-25-2015, 09:37 PM
11 Second Club

One thing your going to need to do is modify your harness a bit. Your going to need a little more slack for tps and iac harness to the throttle body. Also while you there get rid of evap, egr, a.i.r etc. your going to need carb studs, a shorter throttle cable, and a throttle cable bracket with return springs. Be sure to get a 4150 carb gasket for the tb to the intake. Depending on how your going to get air you may need an elbow or a round style air filter etc. Another thing your going to need to do is make a small bracket off on of the carb stud for your map sensor to mount. One thing I do not recommend you do is cut off your maf wires. To run speed density you will no longer need them but in the event you decide you want to go back to a traditional intake/tb style you may want to reuse a maf again. Speed density is tuned off of your IAT and throttle position.
Old 07-25-2015, 10:15 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you planning on running this in a 4th gen? If so, then you will have to cut the cowl, ditch your wipers, and cut a hole in the hood or buy an aftermarket cowl hood. Unless you are brave enough to run without an air cleaner. The VFN extended sunoco hood is what I use and it works and looks great. the extended cowl helps to cover up the gap between the windshield and the hood. I have the 4150 tb, throttle cable bracket, carb spacer, air cleaner spacer, and air cleaner to make it work if you decide to pull the trigger.
Old 07-25-2015, 10:21 PM
11 Second Club

I can't believe I forgot the part of cutting the cowl and getting rid of the wipers lol, guess I was thinking more along the lines of what he needed to make everything work on the engine itself. lol
Old 07-25-2015, 10:26 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 1BAD98LS1
I can't believe I forgot the part of cutting the cowl and getting rid of the wipers lol, guess I was thinking more along the lines of what he needed to make everything work on the engine itself. lol
Yea i think cutting the cowl and losing the wipers are the two biggest things you have to be ok with when going to a carb style intake. LOL once you get past that then all there is to do is break out the wallet and order up.
Old 07-25-2015, 10:34 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by red_00z28
Yea i think cutting the cowl and losing the wipers are the two biggest things you have to be ok with when going to a carb style intake. LOL once you get past that then all there is to do is break out the wallet and order up.
True lol but he was asking about speed density and questions about the 4150 tb and such so my mind wasn't thinking about wipers and the cowl lol. He never mentioned whether its for an fbody so who knows...
Old 07-25-2015, 10:46 PM
Launching!

True lol but he was asking about speed density and questions about the 4150 tb and such so my mind wasn't thinking about wipers and the cowl lol. He never mentioned whether its for an fbody so who knows...
Yeah you are right.
Old 07-25-2015, 11:19 PM
Staging Lane

wow thanks so much guys... going to be run in a first generation s10...

thanks that helps alot
Old 07-25-2015, 11:29 PM
Staging Lane

wow man that would suck... to have to hack up that much and loose the wipers

i honestly i saw a CLEAN 02 camaro roller for 1000 bucks i could have bought but just the thought of having half the engine under the cowl/firewall just makes me cringe.. im familiar with the first gen s10s, and id rather have leafs then doing the whole gbody ****..

plus down the line i want to go with turbos, and put the inter-cooler, trans and oil coooler, radiator and **** in the bed... years down the line..
Old 07-25-2015, 11:30 PM
11 Second Club

Well I guess you wont have to worry about cutting up a cowl and dealing with wipers lol... good luck with your build, the supervic setup is a very good choice
Old 07-25-2015, 11:41 PM
Launching!

Well hell!! No worries then. Go for it, you won't be disappointed.
Old 07-26-2015, 03:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Prychka

i keep reading about swapping to speed density tuning?? i am not familiar with that.. What does speed density mean, and what is the difference?

SD uses engine speed and density of air (determined by MAP and IAT) to lookup cylinder airmass in a table... if you look at this table using EFILive you will see that it is the VE table and has units g*K/kPa (i.e. airmass normalized for temperature and pressure).

In other words, SD does not use MAF, it uses VE table exclusively, to calculate cylinder airmass.

For fueling, SD can use CL/trimming or OL.
Old 07-26-2015, 12:41 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by joecar
SD uses engine speed and density of air (determined by MAP and IAT) to lookup cylinder airmass in a table... if you look at this table using EFILive you will see that it is the VE table and has units g*K/kPa (i.e. airmass normalized for temperature and pressure).

In other words, SD does not use MAF, it uses VE table exclusively, to calculate cylinder airmass.

For fueling, SD can use CL/trimming or OL.
ok thanks that sums it up decently thanks so much!!
Old 07-26-2015, 12:43 PM
Staging Lane

i do love the 4 gen fbodys they are super sexy but just thinking of how hard they are to work on with out a lift is just to much for me since im mostly a glorified noob..

thanks guys this was very helpfull

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: what changes for 4barrel style tb