Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weird intake noise...

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2015, 09:03 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weird intake noise...

Hey guys...

I just swapped to an LS6 intake on my LS1 swapped Z. I didn't notice it when I first started it, but when I hopped in the car to go do some tuning, I was hearing this weird kind of rhythmic "whoop" sound is the only way I know to describe it.

I thought when I first heard it, it was a knock, but thank God it isn't, and it only does it when the car is warming up and the idle is higher. Once the idle settles down, I don't hear it.

If you have ever heard an old two cylinder air compressor that turns over slow, that is kinda what this sounds like. I took a stethoscope and ran it all around the intake port areas on the intake, and the holes where the injectors plug in, and it is not an external noise. It is inside the intake, and not isolated to one runner, but seems a bit louder towards the back.

There is no indication of a leak either, the motor runs smooth, no pop or bog on acceleration, and it is pulling the same 17 inches of vacuum at idle that it did with the LS1 intake on it.

When I did a search on google, I found one other guy who described pretty much the same thing after swapping to the LS6 intake. Anyone else ever heard or experienced anything like this?
Old 08-31-2015, 09:08 AM
On The Tree

Could it be the iac adjusting until the car warms up?
Old 09-01-2015, 08:07 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

did you replace the foam underneath the intake? i know the foam is ther eto hold moisture and helps keep the sensors clean but when i installed my intake without it it make weird noises like metal noises. Ive heard the foam does help cut some noises down...atleast thats what ive experienced.
Old 09-01-2015, 09:41 AM
Teching In

Omar...

no, I didn't, and that could be the problem. You have to sand the reinforcement ribs off the bottom of the intake to clear the water pipes, and I didn't put the foam back on.

I opened up the IAC so the idle would go up and I listened to this noise again, it is definitely inside the intake, like a "woot woot woot" kinda sound that is only there up until about 1600 or 1700 RPM then goes away. It isn't a big deal really, I just wanted to make sure there wasn't something wrong.

And by the way, the LS6 intake really opened up the motor as far as midrange response. It seems to rev a lot easier. I don't notice a big difference up top, but I think my exhaust is choking the motor off a bit at the top end of the rev range. Trailblazer SS exhaust manifolds, and 2.5 inch x pipe dual exhaust with resonated test pipes. I need some 2 inch primary long tubes and 3 inch exhaust.
Old 09-01-2015, 04:18 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MaxxAction
Omar...

no, I didn't, and that could be the problem. You have to sand the reinforcement ribs off the bottom of the intake to clear the water pipes, and I didn't put the foam back on.

I opened up the IAC so the idle would go up and I listened to this noise again, it is definitely inside the intake, like a "woot woot woot" kinda sound that is only there up until about 1600 or 1700 RPM then goes away. It isn't a big deal really, I just wanted to make sure there wasn't something wrong.

And by the way, the LS6 intake really opened up the motor as far as midrange response. It seems to rev a lot easier. I don't notice a big difference up top, but I think my exhaust is choking the motor off a bit at the top end of the rev range. Trailblazer SS exhaust manifolds, and 2.5 inch x pipe dual exhaust with resonated test pipes. I need some 2 inch primary long tubes and 3 inch exhaust.
when i didnt replace mine ( i also broke the ribs) it made a sound like a sewing machine lol it wasnt that noticeable probably no one would ever notice it but my paranoia wouldnt let it get by. i took it apart and got a piece of foam cut to shape and it went away! i had full exhaust when i put my intake i cant really tell i felt something but car pulls very strong.
Old 09-01-2015, 07:41 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by MaxxAction
Omar...

I opened up the IAC so the idle would go up and I listened to this noise again, it is definitely inside the intake, like a "woot woot woot" kinda sound
I second the foam theory. When I installed the BBK, I did use the foam underneath. However, I was still getting a lot of noise like you're explaining, and it was because there were small spaces in between all the ports where the intake doesn't sit flush against the heads, but it seals perfectly at the ports. Anyway, I plugged up the spaces and the noise was gone.
Old 09-03-2015, 06:49 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the replies guys...

I appreciate the help. I drove around for awhile last night and I actually think the sound is kinda cool. The LS6 intake makes a lot more noise under acceleration than the LS1 did. I think it sounds kinda cool. Next time I have to pull the intake, I will add some foam. Not gonna worry about til then.

Quick Reply: Weird intake noise...