Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ICT billet manual tensioner....

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2015, 09:55 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ICT billet manual tensioner....

The other day i go to start the car and threw the belt off. Belt is pretty new with only 5k on it at most so figure it was time for a manual tensioner. Being a frugal owner trying to enjoy everything in life i went with the following:

http://www.ictbillet.com/ls1-camaro-...-aluminum.html

Looks like a quality piece for only $50, Im in! Upon receiving it i found no instructions or torque specs or obvious install method. A couple of problems exist as i see:
1. To tighten the belt you must put pressure on the pulley bolt that reverses it out therefor undoing the torque spec.
2. Once you have tighten the belt and set the rear bolt the second pivot bolt is blocked by the belt therefor unable to be torqued.

WTF am i missing here. After some googling looks like it is a copy of the LSX innovations tensioner but they neither have any install specs.
Old 09-10-2015, 11:36 AM

Received 1,835 Likes on 1,145 Posts

I went with a manual tensioner in my swapped LS10, and it kept throwing belts. Went round and round with pulley alignment, etc. I went back to the company that did the manual tensioner, and they don't offer it anymore - they offer a redesigned version of that tensioner. I installed it and have had no more belt issues in the S10. FWIW, Dirty Dingo.

So, heads up on the manual tensioner. If you're seeing obvious design flaws, imagine what you haven't found yet.
Old 09-11-2015, 12:38 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's why people pay the $119 for Katech tensioners, I've personally bought 3 but was lucky enough to get them when they're on sale.
Old 09-11-2015, 08:06 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is their response:

"Hi, we do not provide instructions for this item. This is the first customer issue we've had for this product. To tighten the belt, place a wrench over the tensioner leg that has the pulley attached to it. Now for the "pivot" bolt, we do not see what problem you are having. The bolt head is unobstructed for approximately .500" above the bolt head. Let us know if we can further help."

Guess i was looking for the proper install not just a hack job. for 50 bucks im gonna give it a shot. It even came with a new pulley...
Old 09-13-2015, 08:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

I have their whole set-up on my car and it works great. The lower alternator mount fit right in place and all the belts aligned perfectly.
Old 09-14-2015, 05:12 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We used their coil brakets and alternator only bracket. Both worked well hope you get it figured out.

ICT Billet Alternator Bracket

Alternator Belt on

Quick Reply: ICT billet manual tensioner....