Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Metallic rattle sound after LTs.

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2015, 08:37 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Metallic rattle sound after LTs.

Yo.

I recently did Poly MM/Trans Mount and Speed Engineering LTs and ORY to the stock catback. The headers and Y have perfect clearance. Nothing touching floorboards or none of that. Around 3,000RPM I'll hear an awful metallic rattling sound for a second or two, or really any time I'm heavy under load like say 5th gear, 40MPH and plant it.

I'm thinking:

A: This sites general description of rasp. Although rasp sounds bad (or decent on exotics/Vettes), this sounds more severe than rasp.

B: Bad Y pipe merge. Exhaust smashing together at a certain frequency.

C: Muffler/I Pipe contacting or buzzing the gas tank heat shield. It's not touching the shield at rest, but its an ant's *** away from it and I could see it getting some flex under load or communicating some sonic resonance to it.

Only curious as soon I will be converting the SE ORY into a 2.5'' over axle TD setup. Just wondering if this is a common thing on these 4GFs with ORY setups. Rasp seems to be common, but this is much more metallic sounding.

FWIW, it sounds like pure domestic ricer garbage and I hope there isn't a bunch of kids with cheap F bodies that are cruising around to this racket thinking it sounds cool.
Old 09-16-2015, 09:22 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

headers rubbing on the K frame?
Old 09-16-2015, 09:56 PM
11 Second Club

No rub, perfect clearance everywhere.

Sound is from Y merge back. I'll probably end up pulling the heat shield and seeing if it clears up.
Old 09-18-2015, 09:18 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by CoolAid
No rub, perfect clearance everywhere.

Sound is from Y merge back. I'll probably end up pulling the heat shield and seeing if it clears up.
Merge pipe is the root cause, mine will be cut out tomorrow and replacing the SE y merge with a magnaflow merge.

99% confident this will resolve the metallic sound we are both experiencing, also referred to as rasp.
Old 09-18-2015, 09:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

probably not your issue but i had a spot on my catback near the muffler where 2 pipes were touching and causing a strange noise, a simple small weld fixed. the big noise i had turned out to be my torque arm rubbing my drive shaft safety loop. good luck!
Old 09-19-2015, 11:30 AM
11 Second Club

It was the fuel tank heat shield. Took it out and it cleaned up the sound. It still has a little mechanical rasp to it from the Y merge, but the terrible buzzing sound is gone.

....and there was much rejoicing.
Old 09-19-2015, 11:41 AM
TECH Apprentice

World of difference in the rasp going from the SE Y to the Magnaflow. It seems to be gone for the most part.

My tank shield is rattling a little as well. Will correct that this afternoon.

Quick Reply: Metallic rattle sound after LTs.