Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pacesetter install issues, help needed

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2004, 04:07 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Pacesetter install issues, help needed

This is for my buddy Bill. Today we attempted to install Pacesetters and orp on his '01 SS. I can only compare them to my Hookers I put on two years ago.

The good: Both headers slid right in from the bottom. I was pleasantly suprised that the steering shaft did not need to be removed like it did on my Hookers. Fit and finish looked good.

The bad: The driver side O2 bung is in a stupid location. The shift linkage (A4) hits the end of the O2 sensor when shifted into P. Had to put it in 1 to even screw the sensor in. An egr (or something) fitting on the #6 primary tube is located directly in front of where you need to put the spark plug in. The best way I can see to get the plug in is to break the bone in your forearm in multiple places and break your wrist so you can twist your arm underneath and around the primary tube in order to guide the plug in lol. The arm must also be shrunk. What is this fitting? He has a block off plate for it. Lastly, the tube where the y-pipe mates to the i-pipe is the exact same size as the i-pipe. Not a little off sized, not close. The exact same size. It will not slide together. WTF. Looks like he will have to find a flaring tool to fit it.

Any suggestions on these problems?

Last edited by 11 Bravo; 06-12-2004 at 04:13 PM.
Old 06-12-2004, 04:19 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 11 Bravo
An egr (or something) fitting on the #6 primary tube is located directly in front of where you need to put the spark plug in. The best way I can see to get the plug in is to break the bone in your forearm in multiple places and break your wrist so you can twist your arm underneath and around the primary tube in order to guide the plug in lol. The arm must also be shrunk.

LMAO bro! That is funny. Yeah but seriously if anyone has an idea on how to remedy this situation I would greatly appreciate it. My car is stuck in the shop now till Tuesday at which time I will go back to try to get everything fixed up. Oh and Mike thanks for the blood and sweat you shed today helping me out. We'll get her back on the road....sooner or later.
Old 06-12-2004, 04:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

that really sucks about the Y-pipe. I plan on ordering a set soon and if I do, I plan on getting the Y-pipe flared before begining with the install.....I've read a few posts here about people with the same problem that you are experiencing
Old 06-12-2004, 04:24 PM
12 Second Club

I had read the same thing but the guy I spoke to at TSP said that they had installed the Y on a LS1 with a loudmouth and had absolutely no issues. Slid right in were his exact words.
Old 06-12-2004, 04:27 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by ddelallata
that really sucks about the Y-pipe. I plan on ordering a set soon and if I do, I plan on getting the Y-pipe flared before begining with the install.....I've read a few posts here about people with the same problem that you are experiencing
It is the i-pipe that needs to be flared, the y-pipe goes inside it.
Old 06-12-2004, 04:30 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by landshark
We'll get her back on the road....sooner or later.
Yeah, you'll be happy in the end. I'm still dumbfounded that the emissions fitting is directly in the way of where the plug goes in. WTF is that for? Neither one of our cars have anything that bolts there.
Old 06-12-2004, 04:35 PM
12 Second Club

I'm assuming it is a EGR hookup but it is in the worst place possible. I wish I had the forethought to just get that cut off and welded up then it would'nt be an issue. I'm looking into those block studs to so I can eventually change out those stupid header bolts.
Old 06-12-2004, 06:44 PM
12 Second Club

Somebody, anybody? I know some folks on here have had experience with these. I've searched and found some posts but most of them don't give definitive answers of the fix. PLEASE HELP ME!!!
Old 06-14-2004, 03:44 PM
12 Second Club

TTT! 71 views and noboby has had any issues like mine. HHMMMMM, guess I was just the lucky one who got the crap passenger side header.
Old 06-14-2004, 04:36 PM
Staging Lane

is this their newly designed headers? I only ask because im planning on getting mine installed saterday.
Old 06-14-2004, 04:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

TTT! 71 views and noboby has had any issues like mine. HHMMMMM, guess I was just the lucky one who got the crap passenger side header.
well whats the question?? the ipipe needs to be expanded to fit, the EGR tube should have been thought about in the first place and bought the race headers with no EGR, no AIR.
Old 06-14-2004, 04:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

i would just unbolt the header, move it out of the way, put the spark plug in, then bolt it back down. i never even removed my spark plugs for my install.
Old 06-14-2004, 05:04 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm assuming it is a EGR hookup but it is in the worst place possible. I wish I had the forethought to just get that cut off and welded up then it would'nt be an issue. I'm looking into those block studs to so I can eventually change out those stupid header bolts.
why would there be an egr fitting on an 01? air maybe, im not sure if 01-02's had air but egr SHOULDNT even be on the header fwiw
Old 06-14-2004, 05:45 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by foff667
why would there be an egr fitting on an 01? air maybe, im not sure if 01-02's had air but egr SHOULDNT even be on the header fwiw
That's what I thought the second I looked at the header. He got a block off plate for it. Maybe someone at Pacesetter knew it was the wrong one for that year, so they boxed it up with the plate? Kinda weird. And if a plug change requires loosening the header, that would suck.
Old 06-14-2004, 05:55 PM
TECH Junkie

I just looked at my headers again and now I'm more confused. My EGR fitting comes off the #2 primary, it's not in the way of anything. His EGR fitting, which I don't think '01 headers are supposed to have, comes off the #6 (or maybe #4). This header would not be for a '98-'00 because there is no way that my EGR would come close to bolting up to it. It's too far away, and facing the front of the car instead of up. Maybe someone at Pacesetter decided to play a sick joke?
Old 06-14-2004, 05:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

have any pictures 11bravo?
Old 06-14-2004, 06:03 PM
TECH Junkie

No, his car is locked up at the autoshop on the airforce base until tomorrow.
Old 06-14-2004, 06:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

well the 01 ls1 doesn't use an EGR. I think that someone at Pacesetter fudged these headers up.
Old 06-14-2004, 06:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

For my new 00-02 coated pacsetters have the Air and EGR, which I don't have the EGR, still hooking up the air. These are the new design.
Mike
Old 06-14-2004, 07:13 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by mike's02ls1
For my new 00-02 coated pacsetters have the Air and EGR, which I don't have the EGR, still hooking up the air. These are the new design.
Mike
Did some searching, and I guess the EGR setup for '00's is different than '98-'99's. All this time and I never knew that lol. And the headers are made for '00-'02's like you say. Guess the blame for the dumb location is on GM. Any tricks to changing the plug that the EGR hookup is in front of? I don't think just loosening the header will give enough room. And do yall have the problem of the O2 sensor hitting the shift linkage?