Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LT Headers question and comparison ....

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2016, 04:27 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LT Headers question and comparison ....

I have been trying to educate myself on all things Exhausts and Headers, etc.

I was Looking at LTs online, and saw that you can choose from ..... 1 7/8", 2x3" , 2x3.5"

My question is ..... Can you put any of the Three sized LTs on an 01 WS6 ?
And also, what is the Main benefit between the Three of them ... the 2x3.5" LTs give you the most HP gains ?

And do Headers just help with the Increase in HP ..... NOT with adding a Deeper tone to the sound of the car, correct ?

With a set of LTs .... How much realistic gain could I expect from a set of 1 7/8 ones and with a set of 2x3.5" ones ?

Thank you for the help
Old 01-31-2016, 04:43 PM
Teching In

Stick with 1 3/4 or 1 7/8. Above that you will have fitment issues on a stock car.

Speed engineering makes a nice budget set of 1 7/8 headers. Most people have no issues installing them.

I think the consensus is around 25-30 hp gains.
Old 01-31-2016, 05:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Smile

LTs will change the sound of your car.

what cat back you run will affect how loud it is ect.
Old 01-31-2016, 06:54 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by dsvtr
I have been trying to educate myself on all things Exhausts and Headers, etc.

I was Looking at LTs online, and saw that you can choose from ..... 1 7/8", 2x3" , 2x3.5"

My question is ..... Can you put any of the Three sized LTs on an 01 WS6 ?
And also, what is the Main benefit between the Three of them ... the 2x3.5" LTs give you the most HP gains ?

And do Headers just help with the Increase in HP ..... NOT with adding a Deeper tone to the sound of the car, correct ?

With a set of LTs .... How much realistic gain could I expect from a set of 1 7/8 ones and with a set of 2x3.5" ones ?

Thank you for the help
I just put a set of Speed Engineering 1 7/8" on my engine. They are very nicely built, they will last a long long time. Only thing wrong with them that might have been fixed by now......The drivers side collector is at the wrong angle. It is not horizontal to the ground after install. The collector is angled upward slightly and makes it hard for the exhaust mechanic to make a nice straight pipe coming off the collector.

It needs to be bent down about 1 full inch.....which is a lot. But my exhaust did make it work.

If you're engine is stock....don't buy LT headers. LT headers help out most after you've done some other mods like head/cam kit, stroked/bored, etc....

You might see some power gain, might not. Many have dropped in power by just adding LT headers.

Not worth it on a stock engine.

Old 01-31-2016, 07:44 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by LS6427
If you're engine is stock....don't buy LT headers. LT headers help out most after you've done some other mods like head/cam kit, stroked/bored, etc....

You might see some power gain, might not. Many have dropped in power by just adding LT headers.

Not worth it on a stock engine.

Do not agree with this. LT headers and ORY made a HUGE difference on my slp lid, catback only car..
Old 01-31-2016, 07:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Yep my buddy had a lid and catback only, then did long tubes and ORY, and gained 4 mph at the track. Very worth it IMO
Old 01-31-2016, 07:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

ive never heard of losing power on a stock motor with LTs. perhaps maybe if the tune is way off.

if anything its one of the best boltons for LS motors.
Old 01-31-2016, 08:01 PM
On The Tree

Thank you for all of the replies

I mainly was considering LTs to increase the Sound ( a more deeper sound when idiling and a louder " scream " when at WOT )

I have an idea, although I'm not sure it makes any since, or will even work for that matter,
Here is what I'm thinking .....

I completely remove the Borla Catback system that I have on my car now and try and sell it for $300 - $400 ?

I then weld the Dual/Dual tips to the under part of the Bumper , Put a Cutout right where the Opening of the Headers are ( preferably an Electric Cut-Out , although I may have to have some one install it, since I'm not electrician ) , and then put TurnDowns just before the Axle

I know it will be insanely loud in the cab, but that's fine, as I'm usually the only one in it when I drive ( I just drive it a few times a week ), and if it gets to much , I can always reduce the noise by closing it wit the Cutouts.

I have also heard that they sell an Interior Sound Barrier Padding that really helps to cut down on the noise inside the cab

I would Love to get TrueDuals and a Cam ( SI5 ) or at least just True Duals, but neither of those are within my budget right now , as I'm on a $300 - $400 max budget ( and can Hopefully recoup most of this expense after I sell the Borla Catback system )

Any ways, I'm looking for the best bang for my buck to get mu Stock WS6 as loud as possible ( without all of the rasp ), and a Cutout at the Headers with TurnDowns seems to fit the bill ... yes? No ?

Thanks everyone
Old 01-31-2016, 08:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Smile

if you just want sound you can pick an SLPLM or just get a cutout.
Old 01-31-2016, 08:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

I can tell you from personal experience that long tubes alone gave my Mustang a deeper tone
Old 01-31-2016, 10:40 PM
On The Tree

So the SLP LoudMouth 1 or Loudmouth 2 ?

And is the Loudmouth a Catback ? A Muffler ? Resonator ?
( sorry for my ignorance on the subject )

And your saying to just Keep the Borla Catback on my car as it is , and just add a CutOut right where the Headers Meet the Exhaust ... And this Alone ( when Open ) should give it the Sound I'm seeking ?
Old 02-01-2016, 06:34 AM
TECH Senior Member

Whatever you do, don't do the LM1 with long tubes and ORY. It will sound horrible
Old 02-01-2016, 08:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

while some posters talk about extra rwhp from 1 7/8 vs 1 3/4 headers i really like my fit & clearance with my jethot / hooker 1 3/4 LT's. imo if you add headers you need a tune because they potentially lean out the A/F is why some will claim they lose hp. if legal where your located a good mod. cheers!
Old 02-01-2016, 03:56 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by DANOZ28
while some posters talk about extra rwhp from 1 7/8 vs 1 3/4 headers i really like my fit & clearance with my jethot / hooker 1 3/4 LT's. imo if you add headers you need a tune because they potentially lean out the A/F is why some will claim they lose hp. if legal where your located a good mod. cheers!
Headers will lean it out a bit but its certainly going to not make you lose hp. Ls cars typically are around 11.5 afr at wot putting a set of headers on may bring that into the 12.xx range. Best power is usually achieved around 12.8-13.1 afr. If you install headers and lose power even untuned there's an issue. However it will still always be beneficial to get a tune to maximize the gains.

Also 1-7/8 primaries will fit just fine as long as you get a brand with a solid reputation. It is just as easy to get bad set of 1-3/4 as a set of 1-7/8, IMO if you're going to get headers 1-7/8 should be the bare minimum size. They will lose now power down low compared to a 1-3/4 primary and will gain power up top even on a stock motor.
Old 02-02-2016, 12:29 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by chris96camaro
Do not agree with this. LT headers and ORY made a HUGE difference on my slp lid, catback only car..
Could just be crappy tunes....or no tuning at all after people install them.

But there are A LOT of people who gain nothing and lose some torque too.

Never know.

Old 02-02-2016, 03:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by LS6427

But there are A LOT of people who gain nothing and lose some torque too.

This is a symptom of other physical and/or tune problems.
Old 02-03-2016, 09:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

its real simple. factory tune is aprox 14.5:1 A/F ratio. you add a lid , catback & headers and you've leaned that baby out to high 14's maybe even 15.0:1! not good for performance until proper tune.
Old 02-03-2016, 02:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DANOZ28
its real simple. factory tune is aprox 14.5:1 A/F ratio. you add a lid , catback & headers and you've leaned that baby out to high 14's maybe even 15.0:1! not good for performance until proper tune.
I'm almost 100% positive stock tune is way more rich than that..

Quick Reply: LT Headers question and comparison ....