Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How I adapted Hooker Blackheart Duals to TSP Headers with Cats at home

Old 04-15-2016, 11:04 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well I drove mine to the alignment/inspection shop this morning. It's definitely louder than my Magnaflow was even with the cats (Magnaflow catback was behind an off road y pipe). My wife described it as about as loud as being behind a Harley in traffic. She also said she hates the tips lol. She said they look like they should be on her G6 not a Trans Am haha. Looks like I'm going to have figure out a way to get some larger rolled tips under there. I miss my big ol' 4" double wall magnaflow tips dearly.

Last edited by RebelExtrm02; 06-07-2016 at 09:05 AM.
Old 04-29-2016, 09:21 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

this is awesome you guys. Thanks so much for showing what is involved. I've had an SLP loudmouth 1 for 16 years and added Pacesetters, a TSP catted Y and a Lunati cam to it about 13 years ago. Needless to say I have dreamed up an upgrade for some time!

What did you guys use to cut the pipes?

This is my first post in about 6 years! Thanks for the opportunity!
Old 04-29-2016, 09:57 AM
TECH Regular

I just used a hand hacksaw with a 24tpi bi-metal blade to cut the pipes and a set of bastard files to clean up the edges.
Old 06-01-2016, 08:38 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by deelong4002
You do have have to utilize two of the factory hangers, the rear passenger and the y pipe hanger.

I put it on today and it was very easy to adapt to my pacesetter headers. It took a little muscle to get it put together cause it's obviously not optimized for my headers.
Am I the only one who thought the instructions weren't very clear on how to reposition the y-pipe hanger? I just kept moving it around until it lined up. Not that it took a whole lot of time, just thought they could have been more clear.

Also, I'm using Pacesetter long tubes and they don't seem to line up at all. I'd say they're off by a good 3.5 to 4 cm (radially, not axially). Is that what you mean when you say you had to muscle it? Doesn't seem to want to budge much for me, but maybe I just need to hit the gym lol.
Old 06-06-2016, 03:21 PM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I've been watching these Hooker BH threads and I'm really liking this system. If I go with this system, I will be mating it to SE or TSP LT headers. What do you guys think about taking the first pieces of pipe(after cutting to the right length) to a muffler shop and have them expand them to fit over the 3" header? Maybe its too much to expand? This will be my first attempt at installing an exhaust system but I'm very much a DIY'er with a machinist background and some experience with TIG and MIG welding.
Old 06-06-2016, 03:33 PM
9 Second Club

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by rybern
I've been watching these Hooker BH threads and I'm really liking this system. If I go with this system, I will be mating it to SE or TSP LT headers. What do you guys think about taking the first pieces of pipe(after cutting to the right length) to a muffler shop and have them expand them to fit over the 3" header? Maybe its too much to expand? This will be my first attempt at installing an exhaust system but I'm very much a DIY'er with a machinist background and some experience with TIG and MIG welding.
Too much to expand. The reducer cones are the best option IMO.
Old 06-06-2016, 05:07 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by soloman369
Too much to expand. The reducer cones are the best option IMO.
Copy that. Didnt someone buy two of them for $29? I haven't been able to find them at that price... more like $29-39 each.
Old 06-07-2016, 09:08 AM
TECH Regular

Copy that. Didnt someone buy two of them for $29? I haven't been able to find them at that price... more like $29-39 each.
If you're referring to the flowmaster venturi reducer cones that have been used to mate the system to long tubes without the use of cats then search for "Flowmaster R3025" in google. You'll find links to amazon and other sites that have them as a pair for around $28-29.
Old 06-07-2016, 09:11 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by RebelExtrm02
If you're referring to the flowmaster venturi reducer cones that have been used to mate the system to long tubes without the use of cats then search for "Flowmaster R3025" in google. You'll find links to amazon and other sites that have them as a pair for around $28-29.
Awesome. I can handle that. Thanks. So for long tubes, these reducers and the Offroad system and little work is all thats needed.
Old 06-08-2016, 04:23 AM
Teching In

Awesome set up! I really want to buy this setup but I'm not completely sold on how I want to do it yet. I'm leaning towards getting the hooker mid length headers as it sounds like the mid length are much easier to install myself. I would then buy some of those magnaflow high flow cats and have an exhaust shop weld them in for me after I have it all set up.

At the end of all that hopefully it would pass CT emissions. I just bought my car and went through yesterday so it would be another 2 years before I have to worry about it again. I currently have the flowmaster catback installed on it and it's just too quiet for me. I'm not really searching for more power(yet), just more sound. I've thought about doing just the hooker catback but I'm afraid it wouldn't be loud enough. If it wasn't I'd have to have it customized to fit up to the headers and cats if/when I add them down the road.
Old 06-15-2016, 09:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Just as an FYI, i had some issues with the supplied clamps leaking where the reducers came together with the system, and also on the passengers side before the X Pipe. I bought some dynomax band clamps and that seems to have solved it. I also noticed there is a small pinhole leak in the weld on the rear most side of the x-pipe. After a couple of months with the system installed, I'm still very pleased for the price point. It made me actually want to drive my car again, where as with the TSP dumped duals, I was tired of it after about 15 minutes.
Old 06-15-2016, 12:35 PM
12 Second Club

Just as an FYI, i had some issues with the supplied clamps leaking where the reducers came together with the system, and also on the passengers side before the X Pipe. I bought some dynomax band clamps and that seems to have solved it. I also noticed there is a small pinhole leak in the weld on the rear most side of the x-pipe. After a couple of months with the system installed, I'm still very pleased for the price point. It made me actually want to drive my car again, where as with the TSP dumped duals, I was tired of it after about 15 minutes.
Great to hear and thanks for the heads up. My BH system should be delivered today and SE headers on Monday. I plan to remover my old exhaust and install polymounts this weekend. Did you get the stepped Dynomax bands or the straight ones?
Old 06-15-2016, 12:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yes, the stepped ones.
Old 06-15-2016, 03:08 PM
12 Second Club

Yes, the stepped ones.
Thanks.
Old 07-07-2016, 04:21 PM
TECH Regular

Great to hear and thanks for the heads up. My BH system should be delivered today and SE headers on Monday. I plan to remover my old exhaust and install polymounts this weekend. Did you get the stepped Dynomax bands or the straight ones?
Did you ever get your exhaust system completed?
Old 07-07-2016, 08:38 PM
12 Second Club

Did you ever get your exhaust system completed?
Yep. Took me 2 weeks working on it in my spare time to install polymounts, SE 1 7/8" LT's and BH duals. I used the FM 3 to 2.5 reducers with a slight modification to the driver BH side bend. I had to extend both ends of the passenger BH side bend pipe to make it all work out but I was able to use unused parts of the BH kit to do this. I also had to cut off 1" from the driver side SE header and 1/2" from the passenger side header to make everything work out. But everything seems to be on nice and snug, no rubbing and plenty of ground clearance. I'm very happy so far. I had my car dyno'd today and while it was on the lift we noticed what looks like a just a tad bit of rubbing from the driver side pipe on the floor board. I have never heard it so its probably only happening in hard acceleration. Here is my dyno vid link for your sound pleasure. http://www.youtube.com/attribution_l...m-upload_owner

Here is the modified passenger side bend. I extended the inlet side 3.5" and welded 1" to the outlet side.
Name:  20160702_153540_zpsznu3bp0k.jpg
Views: 2368
Size:  284.3 KB

Here is what the passenger side pipe looked like before I modified it.
Name:  20160626_133651_zpscqxvkcts.jpg
Views: 2392
Size:  129.7 KB

Here is the drivers side pipe. All I had to do was straighten out the upward bend a little bit. To do this, I clamped a thickwall pipe thats the same size as the ID of the inlet to a VERY sturdy bench and then clamped the passenger side to it with the band clamp. I then heated it red hot and leaned on it until it had half of the amount of bend that I started with. I used a long straightedge as a measuring too.
Name:  20160702_153621_zpskelvnac1.jpg
Views: 2329
Size:  202.7 KB

Here is another photo.
Name:  20160703_142856_zpsh6h5azln.jpg
Views: 2450
Size:  174.1 KB

Last edited by rybern; 07-09-2016 at 08:37 PM.
Old 07-07-2016, 09:52 PM
TECH Regular

Very nice! That's really strong for the mods and sounds great. I added your post to the first post list of LT to BH setups so that your modifications may help someone following in your footsteps in the future. Those SE headers seem like they worked great for you. I have a friend that is in the middle of putting the blackheart system on those headers.
Old 07-09-2016, 08:39 PM
12 Second Club

Very nice! That's really strong for the mods and sounds great. I added your post to the first post list of LT to BH setups so that your modifications may help someone following in your footsteps in the future. Those SE headers seem like they worked great for you. I have a friend that is in the middle of putting the blackheart system on those headers.
Thanks and cool. I am very happy to help out. This sight has been a HUGE benefit to me in my journey of making my car faster. Glad to pay back a bit.
Old 07-10-2016, 01:57 AM
TECH Addict

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Guys is this system all stainless? or aluminized steel?
Old 07-10-2016, 03:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 99'CajunFirehawk157
Guys is this system all stainless? or aluminized steel?
304 stainless or 409 stainless. you have a choice of either.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How I adapted Hooker Blackheart Duals to TSP Headers with Cats at home