Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removing PCV and Installing Breather

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2016, 12:18 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing PCV and Installing Breather

I am looking into removing/plugging the PCV and installing a breather. Such as this:
http://www.c-f-m.com/performancepart...3-LS7-p230.htm

Any advice?

Downfall of doing this? Benefits?

This breather has a one way valve that will not allow air in only out.

Thanks

Last edited by About2Bite; 04-23-2016 at 12:25 PM.
Old 04-23-2016, 01:06 PM
Banned

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

PCV keeps the engine clean. Only remove it from engines you do not care about (just trash race car engine you are going to replace anyways)
Old 04-23-2016, 06:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by About2Bite
I am looking into removing/plugging the PCV and installing a breather. Such as this:
http://www.c-f-m.com/performancepart...3-LS7-p230.htm

Any advice?

Downfall of doing this? Benefits?

This breather has a one way valve that will not allow air in only out.

Thanks
What are you trying to achieve by doing this? Cutting down in oil consumption?
If so just run a catch can on the dirty line, put a one way valve on the clean line (so oil can't get back into the intake from the throttle body), and you can run this breather as well with it since it has a one way out valve.
Old 04-24-2016, 10:00 AM
TECH Resident

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

Don't do it. At high rpm's it will puke oil everywhere.
Old 04-25-2016, 08:04 PM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

removing the PCV System = Bad Idea.
Old 04-28-2016, 06:01 PM
Staging Lane

Ok Ill give the catch can a shot. I have one now but it's the cheaper $50 one. I have a new fast intake and do not want it to get oil in it like it did on my ls6 intake, I also don't want that to lead to oil making it's way thru my motor I'm almost done rebuilding.

Thanks for the recommendations
Old 04-29-2016, 08:33 AM
10 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

I've removed the pcv on both of my cars. Only thing I've noticed is you smell oil vapor occasionally. Oil doesn't get milky or look any different and I have zero oil in the intake. Older vehicles didn't have a pcv. As long as you change the oil regularly it'll be fine and its less clutter and spots for vacuum leaks.
Old 04-29-2016, 09:08 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

PCV has been around for 64 years.

IMO people that don't know any better see what they think is going on race cars is also going to make their mildly modified street car go faster or be better somehow, and that is not always right. Some will research what headers to get for months, and then completely defeat a factory system (like pcv) without even trying to understand it first. "I don't understand it, they don't do it on street outlaws, so it must be bad" type of thing.

In addition, comments like 'it'll be fine' over the internet do not come with a warranty or guarantee (with all due respect).

I also think it is popular to suggest other people mod the way you ('you' being us here in general) mod, in a round about way to make you more comfortable with your own decisions (that's my best Dr. Phil.) I think that is why 'sloppy' builds are so popular.. which truly blows my mind. ''hey look at this slack *** job i did with my car, everybody can be lazy and do it too then it will be 'cool' and I will feel much better about the shitty work I did" Its proven and disappointing.

Properly considered for your application, a pcv system (and a catch can) are be purely beneficial. That's my professional opinion only of course, based on the last 15yrs of r/d.

Downgrading to breathers to me is along the lines of switching from SEFI to carburetors (standard response from any gearhead first time he works on a SEFI vehicle). Think of your response, tell that to yourself about PCV.
Old 05-02-2016, 07:25 PM
Teching In

I was actually just getting on here to ask about this. I am in the middle of a cam swap and noticed that the pcv hose going from the driver side valve cover to the back of the intake has completely deteriorated and is missing about an inch of hose. It wasn't like that when I put my headers on about 6 months ago. I didn't even notice a difference when driving or changing oil (not saying that it's a good thing). So I'm in a position where I need to decide whether to just replace the hose or install a catch can or whatever. Does anyone have a picture or diagram of how theirs is set up so we have an idea of the right way it should be done?

Apologies for the partial thread-jack, but I think OP could benefit from this as well.
Old 05-03-2016, 10:57 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by mak23
I'm in a position where I need to decide whether to just replace the hose or install a catch can or whatever. Does anyone have a picture or diagram of how theirs is set up so we have an idea of the right way it should be done?
just make sure as long as you want a pcv system you must have some sort of vacuum regulation of intake manifold vacuum on the crankcase (pcv valve).

so you could redo the hoses but just make sure you retain this, that also goes with any catch can you may incorporate to the project.

on newer ls engines this feature is built in to the driver valve cover or the valley plate so some of the schematics you may see floating around may not show one.
Old 05-03-2016, 12:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by MIGHTYMOUSE
just make sure as long as you want a pcv system you must have some sort of vacuum regulation of intake manifold vacuum on the crankcase (pcv valve).

so you could redo the hoses but just make sure you retain this, that also goes with any catch can you may incorporate to the project.

on newer ls engines this feature is built in to the driver valve cover or the valley plate so some of the schematics you may see floating around may not show one.
I'm going to take this thread further off the rails...

MightyMouse, I saw you mention "vacuum regulation." I have your can (can't remember which, it's got the check valve and the breather on the top) with an LS6 valley cover. It's definitely collecting junk, but I recently discovered one of the fittings you provide with the can is a rattle style valve. I had the valley cover (new style I think), your valve and a truck orifice style valve! I eliminated the truck orifice when I realized your valve was there, but can I get rid of your valve if I have an LS6 valley cover? Is that still considered regulated?
Old 05-03-2016, 12:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by themealonwheels
I'm going to take this thread further off the rails...

MightyMouse, I saw you mention "vacuum regulation." I have your can (can't remember which, it's got the check valve and the breather on the top) with an LS6 valley cover. It's definitely collecting junk, but I recently discovered one of the fittings you provide with the can is a rattle style valve. I had the valley cover (new style I think), your valve and a truck orifice style valve! I eliminated the truck orifice when I realized your valve was there, but can I get rid of your valve if I have an LS6 valley cover? Is that still considered regulated?

I cant really talk about that here, so you will have to email etc. but my advice to anyone with a catch can or pcv system component is to read and follow the manufacturers instructions, and if that still leaves you wondering then please do contact them. you could easily be doing something that is not healthy to the engine.
Old 05-03-2016, 04:11 PM

Received 1,835 Likes on 1,145 Posts

MM, how does your PCV catch can do with a vacuum pump?
Old 05-03-2016, 04:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

please pm or email me. thanks!
Old 05-03-2016, 05:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If your running nitrous, I absolutely would not run any type of pcv.
Old 05-03-2016, 07:07 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by MIGHTYMOUSE

So, correct me if I'm wrong, because that happens. I should be able to block off the pcv ports on the driver side, install catch can with one line going to the front of the intake and the other line running to the stock pcv placement on the passenger side valve cover?

I've never looked into how this systems works before

Quick Reply: Removing PCV and Installing Breather