Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS6 Alternator Wiring

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2016, 10:43 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS6 Alternator Wiring

I have a 2004 CTS-V swapped in to my track car, and at the track this last weekend my alternator failed. It shorted internally or something but the case was as hot as the header and the housing was smoking. I have a new one to replace it now (turns out the CTS-V one is very specific and a non-stock item everywhere) but I want to make sure the wiring is correct first.

I have a PSI Conversion Harness and ECU that has the 2 pin plug in to the alternator on it. I then took a 10g wire off the back post of the alt that is ran to the battery +. I had someone tell me I needed to wire in a resistor somewhere in the system or I would kill alternators, but I am not sure if I need it, or if the PSI harness has it. The alt puts out 14.5v - 14.8v at idle so I don't think it is overcharging.

Are there any checks I can do on the harness with a volt meter to make sure everything is working properly before I install the new one? Thanks!

Quick Reply: LS6 Alternator Wiring