Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

assembling my twin turbo motor. missing oil pan hole and accessories lubrication?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2016, 09:18 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default assembling my twin turbo motor. missing oil pan hole and accessories lubrication?

is this normal for an oil pan hole to be missing? i already did a search and saw that people had the hole missing on the oil pan itself, but couldn't find a specific answer for people who were missing the hole in the block. should i drill and tap it? or just leave it be?

also, does the waterpump require coolant as lubrication when running? or can i run the motor on the stand with all pulleys on and no coolant and power steering fluid? i'm assuming the power steering pump will probably burn out w/o fluid, but what about the water pump?
Attached Thumbnails assembling my twin turbo motor. missing oil pan hole and accessories lubrication?-photo.jpg  
Old 06-13-2016, 04:15 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, you should drill and tap threads for your missing bolt. Better safe than sorry when it comes to an oil leak. Your water pump bearings are lubricated in a sealed system.
Engine coolant is by no means a lubricant for your water pump. You can get away with no coolant for a short period of time, but I wouldn't recommend it with ps fluid as this is a lubricant for internal O-rings and such.

Quick Reply: assembling my twin turbo motor. missing oil pan hole and accessories lubrication?