Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Catch Can

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2016, 08:22 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Catch Can

Not finding a lot of info on these. Are they a "must have" when running a LS engine? What happens if you don't use one? Oh, by the way, I'm new to the world of LS engines.
Old 07-01-2016, 09:55 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It depends on how you drive and what mods you have. If you drive the car hard, then a catch can is beneficial to keep oil out of the intake and cylinders. Adding more power also makes a catch can more desirable because you probably drive it even harder. If you're stock and don't rev the engine hard often, then it's not as necessary. Bottom line is that at higher revs more oil is sucked up into the intake manifold and then into the cylinders where it doesn't really belong. Your choice!
Old 07-01-2016, 10:05 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm sure it will get hammered a few times here and there, but for now it's a stock LQ4 going into my Chevelle as a cruiser. Thanks for your info, I appreciate it!
Old 07-01-2016, 05:04 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

As they say in the TV commercials, "results may vary".
The earlier LS engines did have issues with oil consumption. Some bought a catch can to assist with this problem. Later, the galley breather was changed to address the issue. Before buying the catch can, I had minimal oil consumption. While noticeable, it was not as big a problem as others I had read about.
Afterward, I bought the new breather (and valley cover). Between the two of these, the catch can never has any oil in it, and I don't notice an appreciable change on the dip stick.
I do mash the gas pedal...now and then.

Last edited by gMAG; 07-01-2016 at 05:12 PM.

Quick Reply: Oil Catch Can