Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LQ4/243/VRX5 build, mill heads??

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2016, 04:15 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default LQ4/243/VRX5 build, mill heads??

My '99 WS6 currently has a stock LQ4 with LS6 intake manifold, 1-7/8" headers and x-pipe with true duals and spintech super pro street mufflers. I picked up a set of used 243 heads, from a truck I assume. I also picked up a Vengeance Racing VRX5 camshaft new in the box for $120. I have a set of BTR .660 springs with titanium retainers, BTR trunion bearings, and BTR chromoly pushrods.

I would like to mill the heads some to bump the compression up. How much could I safely mill the heads without having to flycut the pistons? I've seen some guys run the VRX5 cam in LS6's and mill the heads and have no issues. I'm just wondering how far I could safely go with the dished pistons. I emailed Vengeance but they said its hard to say, depends on combo. Which I understand its hard to say a set amount as there are too many variables. He did say they prefer to see .080" on the intake and .100" on the exhaust at a minimum for a safe clearance.

I know someone out there has ran a LQ4 with 243's and a VRX5 camshaft before.

Thanks,
Eric

Quick Reply: LQ4/243/VRX5 build, mill heads??