Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New ROMAC harmonic balancer, what to do about keyway?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2016, 06:01 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New ROMAC harmonic balancer, what to do about keyway?

Hi all,

I'm looking for some advice for the ROMAC A0353SA harmonic balancer I just bought for my 1999 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 equipped with an LS1 engine.

This purchase was made through Texas Speed & Performance in Georgetown, TX, USA. Great guys down there, although I'm looking for second opinions.

When I spoke with their sales department for a new 25% underdriven harmonic balancer, they recommended the ROMAC A0353SA for my motor. I mentioned my concern that, even though I'm not using forced-induction and planning on a mild 224R cam, the pulley comes with a keyway and I don't know how I can install that on a stock crank. They said it would be "perfectly fine to just install".

However the documentation that came with it states that "It is recommended that a keyway is inserted into the crankshaft of all LS series engines".

I have not removed the stock harmonic balancer yet, but I don't think a stock LS crankshaft has a place for a key (hence all the mentioning of drill kits which frankly terrifies me). I don't have the ability to remove the engine or move the car to a shop to have this crank drilled for such a thing. If I just install the balancer without a key, won't the keyway leak engine oil?

I have all the front accessories stripped off, and no radiator/condenser in the car either.

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-22-2016, 07:05 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Also not sure if this qualifies as internal or external engine, if it's external then mods please move the thread.
Old 07-23-2016, 12:17 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most quality aftermarket balancers come with a keyway slot. That is because 90% of all aftermarket forged cranks are keyed. This is for high boost/nitrous engines. You can use a stock balancer on an aftermarket crank, the keyway just needs to be removed. Also you can run the balancer like your's on a stock crank without a keyway. There is no need to key your crank. It can be ran just fine without any issues. I've done it on other projects of mine and it's been done by most people out there running a stock crank. There is no way for oil to leak through the keyway slot of the balancer unless you already have a leaking front seal on your timing cover. You're good to go.
Old 07-23-2016, 06:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Not sure if you are running a stock GM bolt or the ARP. The GM bolt has sealer under the head to seal this joint. The ARP bolt comes with a washer and without sealer and my keyed ATI damper it doesn't leak.

Since you have a keyed damper, I would purchase the ATI pin kit and use it to pin that damper. Very easy to use and can be used without removing the timing cover.
Old 07-23-2016, 07:07 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If your not running forced induction, nitrous or very high rpm then you just install the balancer as you would a stock balancer. Keyway is not required. Stock balancers don't have key slots, nor due the cranks. Some might, but I am not sure which ones. My new aftermarket balancer had a keyway, which most will. But you don't have to use it on just a keyed crank. We did cut a keyway into my stock crank since I am doing a turbo build shooting for 1000 rwhp.

Quick Reply: New ROMAC harmonic balancer, what to do about keyway?