Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dual cutouts questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2016, 08:56 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 350 Likes on 242 Posts

Here is my car vs a bone stock ws6..... Meaning all that noise you hear is from my single cutout.
Old 09-20-2016, 10:01 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 98CayenneT/A
Here is my car vs a bone stock ws6..... Meaning all that noise you hear is from my single cutout.
https://youtu.be/CeBvcxzvID0
Wow that's super loud and sounds great! What all is done with that car and where did you place the cutout?
Old 09-21-2016, 04:57 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by t1ger11
Wow that's super loud and sounds great! What all is done with that car and where did you place the cutout?
Lt headers, ory, Yank ss3600, 3.73's

Cutout is in the I pipe right after the ory
Old 09-21-2016, 09:32 AM
Teching In

Lt headers, ory, Yank ss3600, 3.73's

Cutout is in the I pipe right after the ory
How's the clearance with it located right there?
Old 09-21-2016, 03:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by t1ger11
Also if i do get the single cutouts are there multiple places it could be placed or just the one? sorry for all the questions lol just seeking advice from those who have more experience than i do as this would be my first time dealing with cutouts
to answer your question yes.....and no.

Theoretically you can place the single anywhere in the system. Realistically theres only 1 or 2 spots, really just the one, I see absolutely no reason why you wouldn't place it there. It breaks down like this, your 2 popular choices are right after the merge in the y pipe, or in the I pipe closer to the rear axle. 99% run the latter. You would not want to run near or at the merge as you want that merge as smooth as possible and a closed cutout near it could disrupt flow IMO. plus this spot doesn't make any sense considering what im going to explain in the second spot. So spot number 2 is a little bit behind the passenger seat in the I pipe, go under your car and look aprox in this spot and youll see a small black rubber grommet, you will then know your in the right area, you'll notice theres an indent almost like a small box already cutout in your frame's body that runs next to the I pipe, and when you place the cutout in this spot of the I pipe the flange naturally tucks into this area and the cable harness naturally routes up into that black grommet. You want clearance so you wont knock the electric motor on anything and reduce the amount of water that will get into this area. That and its not directly under your feet which would make it even louder and more annoying to the driver and allow more fumes to enter your cabin area which is something you probably haven't thought of in a dual cutout off the header collector setup, you have the noise directly below your feet and if theres any opening in the grommets under your car in that area (which there is for transmission linkage) then these fumes will enter the cabin if ran open for long periods of time and in stop and go traffic. Clearance is a matter of how your car sits. I am on stock height and all my f bodies have been, I will not lower them. Lowering changes your pinion angle and changes the geometry of your car, reducing traction. Not to mention on an f body introducing exhaust concerns about hitting things. Some people get away with it some don't. My cutout sits nice and I wont bang it on anything in the tucked up spot, and you can prob getaway with an 1" of lowering if you choose to but you will have to be more mindful of bumps and road objects. Its up to you.

I understand your a fan of monster loud cars, ive said it a few times ill say it again, with dual you would only run it at the track, you would hate it even at really low rpm when daily driving or hell just any driving. A single you can run at the track and around town and not worry about it and get your money's work.

$199 for a single setup that's loud and use it around town, at the track and and overall have fun mod

$399 for a dual setup that's stupid loud and only run it when you make a pass at the track and never anywhere else because its too loud.

Your car man, we only provide advice. Either way you go good luck and hope you enjoy what you go with.
Old 09-21-2016, 03:17 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by usnfenix
to answer your question yes.....and no.

Theoretically you can place the single anywhere in the system. Realistically theres only 1 or 2 spots, really just the one, I see absolutely no reason why you wouldn't place it there. It breaks down like this, your 2 popular choices are right after the merge in the y pipe, or in the I pipe closer to the rear axle. 99% run the latter. You would not want to run near or at the merge as you want that merge as smooth as possible and a closed cutout near it could disrupt flow IMO. plus this spot doesn't make any sense considering what im going to explain in the second spot. So spot number 2 is a little bit behind the passenger seat in the I pipe, go under your car and look aprox in this spot and youll see a small black rubber grommet, you will then know your in the right area, you'll notice theres an indent almost like a small box already cutout in your frame's body that runs next to the I pipe, and when you place the cutout in this spot of the I pipe the flange naturally tucks into this area and the cable harness naturally routes up into that black grommet. You want clearance so you wont knock the electric motor on anything and reduce the amount of water that will get into this area. That and its not directly under your feet which would make it even louder and more annoying to the driver and allow more fumes to enter your cabin area which is something you probably haven't thought of in a dual cutout off the header collector setup, you have the noise directly below your feet and if theres any opening in the grommets under your car in that area (which there is for transmission linkage) then these fumes will enter the cabin if ran open for long periods of time and in stop and go traffic. Clearance is a matter of how your car sits. I am on stock height and all my f bodies have been, I will not lower them. Lowering changes your pinion angle and changes the geometry of your car, reducing traction. Not to mention on an f body introducing exhaust concerns about hitting things. Some people get away with it some don't. My cutout sits nice and I wont bang it on anything in the tucked up spot, and you can prob getaway with an 1" of lowering if you choose to but you will have to be more mindful of bumps and road objects. Its up to you.

I understand your a fan of monster loud cars, ive said it a few times ill say it again, with dual you would only run it at the track, you would hate it even at really low rpm when daily driving or hell just any driving. A single you can run at the track and around town and not worry about it and get your money's work.

$199 for a single setup that's loud and use it around town, at the track and and overall have fun mod

$399 for a dual setup that's stupid loud and only run it when you make a pass at the track and never anywhere else because its too loud.

Your car man, we only provide advice. Either way you go good luck and hope you enjoy what you go with.
Thanks for all your help this is just an area i dont really know too much about yet. I will more than likely just go with the one now. Thanks for saving me money and a headache!
Old 09-21-2016, 03:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

that's what we are here for
Old 09-21-2016, 04:01 PM
Teching In

Should get it ordered here in the next couple days I'll let everyone know how it turns out!
Old 09-21-2016, 04:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Go DMH if possible
Old 09-21-2016, 11:08 PM
Teching In

Go DMH if possible
Really? I've heard a lot of people lately saying to stay away from them
Old 09-21-2016, 11:41 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 475 Likes on 354 Posts

Maybe I missed it but I'm surprised nobody mentioned running a muffler(s) after the cutout. I plan on running true dual exhaust with crossover on my supercharged 6.0 S10.
I'll run my quite mufflers on the full length pipes out the rear , after the cutouts I'm going to run some shorty race style mufflers and some pipe to get it to exit in front of the rear tires. It will sound tame until the cutouts are opened and then it will have a deep throaty sound without being stupid loud inside the truck.
Old 09-22-2016, 10:44 AM
9 Second Club

Received 83 Likes on 59 Posts

I have dual cutouts on my 445 LS7 and I have to admit it does sound like ***! I tell ya what though at the track it's a HUGE difference!! Reason I know is I've forgotten to open them on a run or 2 and it was pretty
Old 09-22-2016, 12:50 PM
Teching In

Originally I thought about going with DMH but after reading a lot more recent posts i'm a little more worried and am leaning more towards Badlanz now especially with having the longest warranty i have seen
Old 09-22-2016, 03:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

I cant speak for recent posts on DMH, only that ive had 2 DMH's for years and they were far superior than qtp or any cutout offered at the time in 2010. If this has changed in recent years idk. Honestly ive slacked on doing the electric motor because its not a big deal to me to lay down next to the car and open the 3 wing nuts on the plate and let it breathe, takes 5 min. I cant exactly justify $170 for it when I could spend it elsewhere and that's what it keeps coming down to for me, BUT that's me.
Old 09-22-2016, 04:10 PM
Banned

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I snagged my cutout for $28 shipped in an ebay auction.

Name:  P1210047_zps0tf0yrac.jpg
Views: 3106
Size:  188.1 KB

Deathly silent stock exhaust when shut. Loud as @#!$ when open. Turbine whistle + camshaft noise makes it tolerable. Mild 370rwhp with it open (320rwhp with it shut) from my 180k tired 25 year old motor. If you buy a cheapy, make sure you take it apart and tighten every little bolt you see. Fun for people who like to modify their cars... tedious for people who like to just drive and forget.
Old 09-22-2016, 11:27 PM
Teching In

I cant speak for recent posts on DMH, only that ive had 2 DMH's for years and they were far superior than qtp or any cutout offered at the time in 2010. If this has changed in recent years idk. Honestly ive slacked on doing the electric motor because its not a big deal to me to lay down next to the car and open the 3 wing nuts on the plate and let it breathe, takes 5 min. I cant exactly justify $170 for it when I could spend it elsewhere and that's what it keeps coming down to for me, BUT that's me.
I understand that but for me I'd like to be able to open and close it anytime i like and not have to take the time and get under the car everytime. And I'm sure the quality of DMH is about the same just not so sure about the warranty process should something happen to go wrong and you never know with these things
Old 09-23-2016, 12:29 AM
TECH Junkie

Race Land cutouts
Old 09-23-2016, 10:41 AM
TECH Junkie

http://raceland.com/electric-cut-out...st-system.html
Old 09-23-2016, 10:50 AM
Teching In

How is the quality with that? Just seems a bit cheaper than everything else i have seen
Old 09-23-2016, 10:56 AM
9 Second Club

Received 83 Likes on 59 Posts

Weird, looks identical to my streetpros that went out of business many moons ago. If it's an off shoot of those they are a great quality piece

Quick Reply: Dual cutouts questions