Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dual cutouts questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2016, 10:59 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dual cutouts questions

So I've spent a lot of time researching doing the cutouts but most of everything that I have found is for running a single cutout. I know that is what most people prefer but I would like to run the two of them. I was just wondering if anyone had any advice on the best place to place them, especially to keep the o2 sensors safe. Also what is the best way to wire or run the wire them with the dual cutouts versus the single going the the spot under the rear passenger seat.
Old 09-09-2016, 01:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

drivers seat grommet is where I have my wideband wired through, seems like a good spot if you ran 2 cutouts off each collector.

I will throw my 2 cents here though have you heard/driven a dual cutout car in person?
quite friggen annoying/stupid loud if you ask me and just sounds like nothing but noise. My longtubes car has a single cutout in the y pipe and its too loud at times and im not a guy whos shy about exhaust.

Last edited by usnfenix; 09-09-2016 at 02:27 PM.
Old 09-09-2016, 01:30 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 345 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by usnfenix
rear drivers seat grommet is where I have my wideband wired through, seems like a good spot if you ran 2 cutouts off each collector.

I will throw my 2 cents here though have you heard/driven a dual cutout car in person?
quite friggen annoying/stupid loud if you ask me and just sounds like nothing but noise. My longtubes car has a single cutout in the y pipe and its too loud at times and im not a guy whos shy about exhaust.
I agree, when I put long tubes in my car I started it with open headers and holy ***** was that loud lol.

I too have a single cutout and do not drive with it open.
I have it open at the track and pop it open quick when I want to make some noise. Otherwise a single is definitely plenty loud
Old 09-09-2016, 08:31 PM
Teching In

drivers seat grommet is where I have my wideband wired through, seems like a good spot if you ran 2 cutouts off each collector.

Not quite. I have long tubes and an ory along with a cam on my car and the clamp i guess that holds on the exhaust pipe to the headers got a little loose and the pipe slid off before i realized what it was. so i guess i have half an idea of what it would sound like and i loved that. I just would like to be able to switch it on and off whenever i like lol
Old 09-09-2016, 08:36 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 98CayenneT/A
I agree, when I put long tubes in my car I started it with open headers and holy ***** was that loud lol.

I too have a single cutout and do not drive with it open.
I have it open at the track and pop it open quick when I want to make some noise. Otherwise a single is definitely plenty loud
Is it over the top loud? Like you would recommend against it loud? Because I've definitely always absolutely loved just the loud exhaust with a nice chop from the cam lol
Old 09-10-2016, 01:00 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 345 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by t1ger11
Is it over the top loud? Like you would recommend against it loud? Because I've definitely always absolutely loved just the loud exhaust with a nice chop from the cam lol
Is what over the top? Open headers or a single cutout?

Imo a single cutout would sound wicked and loud enough.
Two cutouts would be way to loud.

In stop and go traffic I usually have mine shut (remote controlled)

At wot it is loud as ****.

With a cammed car...... x2
Old 09-10-2016, 01:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Not quite. I have long tubes and an ory along with a cam on my car and the clamp i guess that holds on the exhaust pipe to the headers got a little loose and the pipe slid off before i realized what it was. so i guess i have half an idea of what it would sound like and i loved that. I just would like to be able to switch it on and off whenever i like lol
trust me you were not getting the full effect of a dual cutout car. To each his own but lets put it this way, theres a reason you dont see many, if any guys running dual cutouts

2 of my f bodies have had cutouts. First was a bbk header/borla catback car and had a single 3" DMH cutout in the I pipe and i wired it through the passenger grommet up and into the power seat of the driver and mounted a switch next to the seat controls, was clean and i only ran the cutout full open on race night, was too loud and obnoxious for daily driving and as i said before, just straight noise no tone.

My 4th and current f body runs the same bbk headers and the new TSP catback that already has the cutout in the I pipe provided. Initial startup i ran the cutout open and idling it sounded good, like i had an aftermarket cam which is what a cutout will do for a stock cam car. However once you rev it up its nascar loud and i had every neighbor that was outside in my area walk to their front yard and stare at what was going on with this look in their eyes like dear god please dont let it be like that all the time.

Originally Posted by 98CayenneT/A
Is what over the top? Open headers or a single cutout?

Imo a single cutout would sound wicked and loud enough.
Two cutouts would be way to loud.

In stop and go traffic I usually have mine shut (remote controlled)

At wot it is loud as ****.

With a cammed car...... x2
+1 my vote is for a single. OP even though i just commented how with my current cutout full open is pretty obnoxious i will be picking up another DMH cutout and plan to run it 25%-50% open and find a middle point between the cutout and the rest of the TSP system, IMO this is the best sounding setup in a catback system. My TSP is already loud with the cutout closed for example i drove past a friends house that was 3 streets away today and got on it about 50% throttle and he texted me asking if i just drove by, from 3 streets away.

OP check the "new TSP catback" thread in here, tomorrow for another member i will try to post up some videos of idling with my cutout open and closed mainly for a review of the TSP system and though i dont have a go pro i have an idea on how to get some driving vids.
Old 09-10-2016, 07:31 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I personally want to pick up a vacuum/boost operated cutout for my setup, so while running around normal, it's closed, but when I roll into boost and hit ~4-5psi, it opens on it's own and I can wake the dead.
Old 09-10-2016, 10:56 AM
12 Second Club

I have dual cut outs on my car they are in the y pipe right before it bends to Y.

As for how loud I run a stock catback so 99% of the time it's very quiet. When I open it at the track it is loud as hell but I don't care it's for a very short period of time then it's shut off sitting in the lanes again.

I have had to drive it cut outs open before and would not do that unless you really need it if you think you will be driving around a lot like that then maybe not a good option.

My biggest issue is with where it's located I am not sure I could put a 3 point SFC on the car.
Old 09-12-2016, 12:09 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 98redorangeta
I have dual cut outs on my car they are in the y pipe right before it bends to Y.

As for how loud I run a stock catback so 99% of the time it's very quiet. When I open it at the track it is loud as hell but I don't care it's for a very short period of time then it's shut off sitting in the lanes again.

I have had to drive it cut outs open before and would not do that unless you really need it if you think you will be driving around a lot like that then maybe not a good option.

My biggest issue is with where it's located I am not sure I could put a 3 point SFC on the car.
I probably would not be driving with them open consistently, just when i want to open them up and make a little noise or just have some fun. I've just heard so many things from people that do have the dual cutouts that say do it you wont regret it then like you said like it's almost just not enjoyable
Old 09-12-2016, 12:23 AM
Teching In

trust me you were not getting the full effect of a dual cutout car. To each his own but lets put it this way, theres a reason you dont see many, if any guys running dual cutouts

2 of my f bodies have had cutouts. First was a bbk header/borla catback car and had a single 3" DMH cutout in the I pipe and i wired it through the passenger grommet up and into the power seat of the driver and mounted a switch next to the seat controls, was clean and i only ran the cutout full open on race night, was too loud and obnoxious for daily driving and as i said before, just straight noise no tone.

My 4th and current f body runs the same bbk headers and the new TSP catback that already has the cutout in the I pipe provided. Initial startup i ran the cutout open and idling it sounded good, like i had an aftermarket cam which is what a cutout will do for a stock cam car. However once you rev it up its nascar loud and i had every neighbor that was outside in my area walk to their front yard and stare at what was going on with this look in their eyes like dear god please dont let it be like that all the time.

+1 my vote is for a single. OP even though i just commented how with my current cutout full open is pretty obnoxious i will be picking up another DMH cutout and plan to run it 25%-50% open and find a middle point between the cutout and the rest of the TSP system, IMO this is the best sounding setup in a catback system. My TSP is already loud with the cutout closed for example i drove past a friends house that was 3 streets away today and got on it about 50% throttle and he texted me asking if i just drove by, from 3 streets away.

OP check the "new TSP catback" thread in here, tomorrow for another member i will try to post up some videos of idling with my cutout open and closed mainly for a review of the TSP system and though i dont have a go pro i have an idea on how to get some driving vids.
Just got a chance to look at the videos and it sounds great. Everything looks fantastic too! Thats really only with a stock cam?
Old 09-12-2016, 06:00 AM
Banned

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

A cam and turbine whistle goes a long way towards enjoying what comes out of a cutout

just plain jane, truck engine stock oem compression sounds terrible.

most fun I ever had is with a cutout. Best mod I ever did to my vehicle. got one for $28 shipped off ebay. Had to take it apart fully (even the gears) and re-tighten everything (because cheap) but its served my vehicle now over 15k miles and woke alot of dead

my favorite part is when I shut the trap, then smoke the tires from a roll with a deathly silence
Old 09-12-2016, 11:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Just got a chance to look at the videos and it sounds great. Everything looks fantastic too! Thats really only with a stock cam?
stock 98 ls1 cam, single cutout. With it open I can hear my own exhaust echo off houses and buildings down streets as I drive by. Go single,

look at it this way, you can have two and get maybe a small HP gain over a single ( dynos have shown in catback system a single open cutout has shown a 1-3rwhp gain, honestly nothing to really be worked up over.) and only be able to run them at the track because its beyond stupid loud and draw a lot of attention to yourself

OR

run a single, and be able to run it either full open or partial open on the street because while being loud it is still tolerable. No brainer IMO. Remember the sound will get more extreme with a cam choice as well.
Old 09-12-2016, 08:50 PM
Teching In

stock 98 ls1 cam, single cutout. With it open I can hear my own exhaust echo off houses and buildings down streets as I drive by. Go single,

look at it this way, you can have two and get maybe a small HP gain over a single ( dynos have shown in catback system a single open cutout has shown a 1-3rwhp gain, honestly nothing to really be worked up over.) and only be able to run them at the track because its beyond stupid loud and draw a lot of attention to yourself

OR

run a single, and be able to run it either full open or partial open on the street because while being loud it is still tolerable. No brainer IMO. Remember the sound will get more extreme with a cam choice as well.
i understand your points i just dont want to get a single and wish i had gotten the duals i guess is what im trying to get out of this or the other way around for that matter. Just hard to really judge i think without ever hearing either in person
Old 09-13-2016, 03:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

well with that logic look at it this way.

You either get a single and find out its more than enough (it is trust me on this) and if you need to blow your eardrums out and make noise instead of tone then cut it and move it to the collector and get another one for your other collector.

or you get duals then open them up and find out it sounds like an elephant getting raped by the statue of liberty's torch and have to remove them from the collectors and re-merge and then cut up your I pipe and place one of the singles there. Or you could decide you like the donkey-raping noise, be happy and lose your hearing at the age of 32 lol.
Old 09-19-2016, 02:57 PM
Teching In

Anyone out there that has regretted their choice on getting duals thinking they would love it?
Old 09-19-2016, 04:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,432 Likes on 992 Posts

My 99 TA with heads & cam has a cut out at the rear of the y pipe. There are a pair of 3 inch high flow pup cats behind the headers before the y pipe. The car is loud with the cut out open but I drive around most of the spring & summer with it open. Its annoying after half an hour.

My RS with the 383 LS1 has 1 7/8 headers and twin electric cut outs off the header primary. It is insanely loud with the cut outs open. The single cut out TA is quite by comparison. One minute is more than enough and about my limit.

This is however a very fun mod. Keep in mind it will be loud enough to attract unwanted attention.

1)In many cases other cars have wanted to "mess with the RS"...until the cut outs opened. Couple of times new 5.0 mustangs wouldn't even pull up beside the RS. One stayed ten car lengths back after trying to entice some action.

2) Open cut outs with car not running. Wait until annoying coworker is standing beside car opening door. Crank your car. Watch co-worker jump. Record with cell phone.

3) Riced out Honda pulls up beside you and revs at light. Open cut outs. Rev back.

4) Car can look stock & tame and instantly change personality.

5) At LS Fest the RS got some "look at the trailer trash" looks & glares bet that car is slow comments. A couple of imports and a mini van rev'd at the very stock looking and tame sounding RS. Press button, rev back and leave open for five minutes. Close cut outs. Enjoy respectful silence from Honda's and mini vans within 50 foot radius plus smiles & grins from other LSx/LTx owners.

I've had so much fun with the twin electric cut outs, I plan to add a pair to my 72 vette.

Last edited by 99 Black Bird T/A; 09-19-2016 at 04:15 PM.
Old 09-20-2016, 03:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Not saying this is the case for you, but one thing that at least bothers me is having all that bark but no bite to back it up. Sure I could run dual cutouts on my T/A and scare local 5.0's and stuff but when you lineup and run and put up an average fight (lets not kid ourselves guys the new era muscle cars both stang and Camaro when lightly modded/tuned destroy stock cammed bolt on f bodies.) Its pretty ricer IMO. Just as bad as the straight piped Hondas that you hear floor it while your walking out of the grocery store and are still trying to get up to 60 by the time you walk to your car. IMO if your putting out that sound you better have a nasty, big cubed and cammed motor to back it up otherwise you might as well throw a wing and "illest" stickers on your car. Or a fake BOV, its all the same.

A single at least still represents the car's capability and provides plenty of growl.
Old 09-20-2016, 07:47 PM
Teching In

Not saying this is the case for you, but one thing that at least bothers me is having all that bark but no bite to back it up. Sure I could run dual cutouts on my T/A and scare local 5.0's and stuff but when you lineup and run and put up an average fight (lets not kid ourselves guys the new era muscle cars both stang and Camaro when lightly modded/tuned destroy stock cammed bolt on f bodies.) Its pretty ricer IMO. Just as bad as the straight piped Hondas that you hear floor it while your walking out of the grocery store and are still trying to get up to 60 by the time you walk to your car. IMO if your putting out that sound you better have a nasty, big cubed and cammed motor to back it up otherwise you might as well throw a wing and "illest" stickers on your car. Or a fake BOV, its all the same.

A single at least still represents the car's capability and provides plenty of growl.
Yeah that is true never wanted to be a guy that couldnt back it up as i am pretty much just a cam car right now. Just always been a huge fan of just monster loud cars even though im sure the single would be a more tasteful i guess you could say mod
Old 09-20-2016, 08:37 PM
Teching In

Also if i do get the single cutouts are there multiple places it could be placed or just the one? sorry for all the questions lol just seeking advice from those who have more experience than i do as this would be my first time dealing with cutouts

Quick Reply: Dual cutouts questions