Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2k ws6 sudden belt squeak

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2016, 06:49 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2k ws6 sudden belt squeak

changed out psp a couple months ago- no belt squeak prior to...now it has a slight chirp.. not a bad squeak but enough that it makes my car sound like a p.o.s.... any recommendations to remedy the problem>?...(belt is near new. stock pulleys, ..)
Old 10-25-2016, 06:53 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a PSP leak and developed a squeak just recently. Changed PSP and squeak still there. Changed alternator, squeak is gone. Maybe PS fluid messed up alternator?
Old 10-25-2016, 07:56 PM
TECH Resident

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Sometimes you can remove the belt and spin the pulleys back and forth and see if a pulley is
squeaking.
Old 10-26-2016, 11:39 AM

Received 1,838 Likes on 1,146 Posts

I went through that after an alternator swap. Seems like once it does it, there are only a few things that seem to work:

Verify pulley alignment, idler pulleys, listen for noises, etc, spinning by hand. Usually you won't find anything

Bad damper. Lots of stock dampers reach a certain point and just cause all belts to make noise. General consensus is the ATI does best at shutting it up

Gatorback belt. Now continental something or other.

Best of luck
Old 10-26-2016, 05:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

So...not that this has anything to do with your car. My last LS1 was a '99 SS. The day I brought it home the water pump pooped out on me. I replaced the WP and put a gatorback belt on the car. A terrible terrible belt squeak started. I tried everything, greasing pulleys, changing pulleys, changing belts...nothing worked. I read somewhere that the alternator bracket was a couple MM too short and it offset the alternator just enough to make a squeak. There is a TSB out there somewhere. I replaced the alternator bracket with a new one and it went away. It never came back and I finally enjoyed driving my car. Read below from another post...

Originally Posted by sjsingle1
The TSB dated March 2000 lists the new part numbers for the idler pulley and alternator bracket, 12563326, 12563327. It was a mid 2000 change on the production line. The earlier pulley WONT fit on the later bracket. The pulley is the same size but the bearing is wider on the later one. The aftermarket is scarce on the different pulleys. You can find the early one easy,the later one, not so much. I had to special order DAYCO 89159 from pimp boys, 40$. The bearings in all the pulleys do not last forever, cheap insurance to replace all of them........... How do you repack the sealed bearings in these pulleys???????
Old 11-02-2016, 07:52 PM
Teching In

thanks guys!
Old 11-05-2016, 12:41 PM
Teching In

it was the belt itself...bought a new belt--- squeak gone!

Quick Reply: 2k ws6 sudden belt squeak