Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dorman TRUCK intake..any results?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2018, 03:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 82 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by G Atsma
Do you mean Richard HOLDENER?
yea, that guy lol.
Old 09-12-2018, 06:22 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 844 Likes on 646 Posts

Originally Posted by customblackbird
yea, that guy lol.
"Lets Make Some Noise"
Old 09-13-2018, 02:00 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That graph makes the dorman truck intake look terrible. That was on an NA setup, this is boosted. Was that bolted on and tuned or just bolted on? Mine was leaner with the Dorman intake, that would tell me more air movement right? I find it hard to wrap my head around it making less power than the Restricted Factory intake under boost, but I am no airflow expert. Like I said, the plugs never looked better, so the distribution seems to be better IMO. I always had inconsistent looking plugs with the Factory truck intake. We all know the Factory truck intake is pretty proven in boosted applications, I was hoping the Dorman intake would make a difference. Very few people have tried it, so I figured I would. a back to back dyno comparison under boost would be the info we need. I had it peak almost 23 psi one night racing a guy on a cool night, it held just fine.
Old 09-13-2018, 05:13 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 241 Likes on 185 Posts

On a recent 372 build with our high lift hot cam, bbk shorty headers, magnaflow catback, spectre cai, stock ported tb, untouched 243 heads, e fans, 3000 stall on a 99 Silverado it made 410/400. This was on a California tune also with magnaflow high flow cats.
This was the orig DLST i was porting in a previous thread. I panel bonded the entire seam and clamped it together for about 27hrs just to make sure..
No dyno graph, just his elated info after. He wanted 500 crank and we delivered.
The torque was the best part...although i did leave the cr somewhat high for premium only so that helped.
Old 09-13-2018, 04:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by customblackbird
yup that guy. He posted dyno results on the sloppy FB page. Idk what it was run on (not a stock 5.3 with 450hp)... but it made less than an LS6 which means it makes less than the TBSS or NNBS truck intakes.

Thanks for posting that Customblackbird , most tests have the old truck vs LS6 neck and neck to almost 6k rpm then the LS6 has a small advantage of couple hp .TQ too was very similar across the range. The old truck vs TBSS in most tests show a much bigger gap than this 10- 15hp usually and as much 20+ tq I think Richard H. old tests from years ago on intakes is more accurate than these latest ones would lead you to believe.
Old 09-13-2018, 04:26 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

He seems very product/brand oriented and thats really not a good thing. You have no idea whats really going on when you cant see behind the great and powerful OZ's curtain.
Old 09-13-2018, 05:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by tech@WS6store
He seems very product/brand oriented and thats really not a good thing. You have no idea whats really going on when you cant see behind the great and powerful OZ's curtain.
I agree totally !
Old 12-22-2019, 10:46 PM
TECH Veteran

Normally Richard Holdener will state what products are used and who sponsors a video. I don't think he rigs results but if Fast is sponsoring a video he won't make them look bad.
The following users liked this post:
G Atsma (12-23-2019)
Old 12-23-2019, 12:35 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,111 Likes on 2,426 Posts

Originally Posted by wannafbody
Normally Richard Holdener will state what products are used and who sponsors a video. I don't think he rigs results but if Fast is sponsoring a video he won't make them look bad.
I agree. In every Holdener dyno article/video I've seen, he states the whole configuration of the engine used besides what is being compared in the test.
I believe he runs a fair test when comparing parts. Most times he's comparing different stock parts like OEM heads or manifolds besides aftermarket to show similarities/differences.
If he appears to promote a certain product it becomes pretty obvious what the intent of the test is early on. Nothing sneaky that I can tell.
Old 12-24-2019, 12:16 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

All of the aftermarket parts he uses are from only a few companies and he recently hasnt released quite a few dynos etc that he said he did or would for...obvious reasons.
He has very few builds that are relatable or actually relevant though. Dynos can be manipulated and so can calibrations. Too many secrets as the movie Sneakers says.
Old 12-24-2019, 01:28 AM
TECH Senior Member

All of the aftermarket parts he uses are from only a few companies and he recently hasnt released quite a few dynos etc that he said he did or would for...obvious reasons.
He has very few builds that are relatable or actually relevant though. Dynos can be manipulated and so can calibrations. Too many secrets as the movie Sneakers says.
True-
Comp cams and valvetrain parts
FAST intakes
Engines from Gandrud Chevrolet
Holley ECM's
Mezier (sp?) electric water pumps,
The tests I do find relevant are the ones comparing various OEM components like cams, heads, and intakes.
What would there be to gain by manipulating these kinds of tests?
Old 12-24-2019, 11:01 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

True-
Comp cams and valvetrain parts
FAST intakes
Engines from Gandrud Chevrolet
Holley ECM's
Mezier (sp?) electric water pumps,
The tests I do find relevant are the ones comparing various OEM components like cams, heads, and intakes.
What would there be to gain by manipulating these kinds of tests?
Sonsor happiness and staying valid. Thats the rub. Not all of them are lop sided. That would be too predictable. Instead the bad reviews just arent shown. How can you sell an underperforming product when no one knows it?

Most people use the meziere pumps on dyno. But you notice not alot of diff intake manufacturers or cam suppliers. Or heads. Basically the big 3 that are always fought over. Daily. Its purely business at that point, but its surely not being fair or giving you the full scope of what is available and from whom. Its good info, of course, and anyone will glean from it what they want.
The following users liked this post:
G Atsma (12-24-2019)
Old 12-25-2019, 09:09 PM
TECH Veteran

I read a review on Amazon where someone lost 3 hp with a Fast 102. So as with everything results vary.
Old 12-25-2019, 09:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by wannafbody
I read a review on Amazon where someone lost 3 hp with a Fast 102. So as with everything results vary.
BUT, what were they comparing it to??
Old 12-25-2019, 10:41 PM
TECH Veteran

BUT, what were they comparing it to??
Person claimed it was a stock LS2 intake. Maybe it was a case of not running the dyno out high enough. Not sure.

Quick Reply: Dorman TRUCK intake..any results?