Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

98 coolant temp sensor correction

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2016, 05:09 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 98 coolant temp sensor correction

I have a 77 datsun 280z with a 04 5.3 I have swapped into it. I am running the 98 camaro coolant temp sensor to feed the ecu and the speed hut gauge that I have.

I have heard that the gauge output of the sensor is around 10-20 degrees cooler than what the ecu is, but mine is close to 50 degrees. I know I can't just through a resister in line because that will make it worse, I am thinking of plugging in an extra 12v ignition on wire with a resister to rase the voltage that the gauge sees.

I am not 100% sure that this will work though so I wanted to put the idea up here for everyone else to chime in on. Even if it does work, I will have to play around to figure out the correct resister.
Old 12-17-2016, 09:50 PM
TECH Resident

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Have you tried contacting the maker of the gauge? Surely they would know how to make
it work.
Old 12-17-2016, 10:10 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have not. I figured they would be little to no help seeing as they sent me a temp sensor with the gauge and I have since lost that one. They will more than likely tell me I have to use it with their sensor.

I got the idea from them though. Since the ls ecu doesn't output a strong enough signal for the aftermarket tachometers, they have you do the same thing in order to boost the signal... just kind of hoping it will work for this too.

Quick Reply: 98 coolant temp sensor correction