Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lq4 foxbody build questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2016, 12:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lq4 foxbody build questions

Not to ask the same thing that's been asked all the time, but I have searched and haven't found to many specific answers. Ls based motors are also a whole new world to me so I'm trying to read up but figured I'd try and ask and get a baseline. I have a foxbody shell that I'm starting with and trying to plan a motor for it. Now assuming a find a good running lq4, what could I do motor wise to get a light weight fox to run 9-10s. I thought about stroking it but from what iv seen it can be done fairly easy with just heads cam and some forced induction. So what do you recommend. I'll stay efi too, and it will be an auto so turbo wouldn't be an issue. It'd be a nice day street car, but mainly see a lot of strip time. Just trying to get a baseline answer.
Old 12-19-2016, 06:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Stock displacement 6.0s with stock plastic truck intakes have gone way faster so focus on the turbo setup and you should get where you want without too much effort. Try finding a 2005 lq4 as those are basically guaranteed to have the stronger gen4 connecting rods and floating pin pistons.

600 rwhp in foxbodies has shown 9 second capabilities so you shouldn't have to touch the bottom end of a gen4 rodded lq4 to withstand that power level. Even stock cammed people have seen 600 rwhp however a cam like a btr stage 2 turbo cam will enable you to make a certain number much easier than with a stock cam.
Old 12-20-2016, 07:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by foxsl
Stock displacement 6.0s with stock plastic truck intakes have gone way faster so focus on the turbo setup and you should get where you want without too much effort. Try finding a 2005 lq4 as those are basically guaranteed to have the stronger gen4 connecting rods and floating pin pistons.

600 rwhp in foxbodies has shown 9 second capabilities so you shouldn't have to touch the bottom end of a gen4 rodded lq4 to withstand that power level. Even stock cammed people have seen 600 rwhp however a cam like a btr stage 2 turbo cam will enable you to make a certain number much easier than with a stock cam.

thank you you for the reply, that's along the line of what I was looking for, I managed to dig through more threads to find some info that also helped. Ls is just a whole new world to me and there's a lot of info to take in lol. Definatly decided to ditch my 351w block I have sitting here.
Old 12-20-2016, 05:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

Not much will matter with a turbo and iron block. Stock crank is more than adequate under 900hp.

Head studs for sure with ls9 headgasket.

Quick Reply: Lq4 foxbody build questions