Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to remove rust off coated Pacesetter headers?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2004, 01:09 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to remove rust off coated Pacesetter headers?

I got my "Used" pacesetter headers in February from a friend. He drove with them in the winter and they are showing rust, what’s the procedure to remove and polish the rust off? Any suggestions?

Here's a link to the header condition during the install.

http://stavos.homeip.net/detroitarch...sp?dir=Headers
Old 06-23-2004, 01:20 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by StavosWS6
I got my "Used" pacesetter headers in February from a friend. He drove with them in the winter and they are showing rust, what’s the procedure to remove and polish the rust off? Any suggestions?

Here's a link to the header condition during the install.

http://stavos.homeip.net/detroitarch...sp?dir=Headers
Get some aluminum polish and go to town

Seriously, that doesnt really look bad at all so it shouldnt take ya very long. I've seen alot worse!
Old 06-23-2004, 01:22 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 1ssmokinls1
Get some aluminum polish and go to town

Seriously, that doesnt really look bad at all so it shouldnt take ya very long. I've seen alot worse!

Mother bullet polish for alumium wheels work?
Old 06-23-2004, 01:33 PM
Staging Lane

Mother bullet polish for alumium wheels work?
Yes, that should work out for you. Give it a go and see how it turns out.
Old 06-23-2004, 04:44 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

best way to remove the rust is to sell them and invest in some stainless steel headers.
Old 06-23-2004, 09:06 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by jrp
best way to remove the rust is to sell them and invest in some stainless steel headers.

Well the Pacesetters were at a unbeatable price $0.00 so I took them. But I can't buy new headers I just bought a house so i have $0.00 to spend
Old 06-23-2004, 09:52 PM
Staging Lane

Well the Pacesetters were at a unbeatable price $0.00 so I took them. But I can't buy new headers I just bought a house so i have $0.00 to spend
I hear ya. Honestly, just try out the polish. In the future, every oil change you should get under there and clean them up to prevent rusting. If you ever decide you want to lay down some money on a different set, look into the kooks or qtp's, they are the absolute best and are stainless steel. You can probably get the kooks cheaper, so I would recommend them
Old 06-24-2004, 08:32 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 1ssmokinls1
I hear ya. Honestly, just try out the polish. In the future, every oil change you should get under there and clean them up to prevent rusting. If you ever decide you want to lay down some money on a different set, look into the kooks or qtp's, they are the absolute best and are stainless steel. You can probably get the kooks cheaper, so I would recommend them

Well I tried the polish and it didn't work out to well. it's really rusted. I had some 800mm sandpaper and sanded off the rust and that still didn't get it off. I cleaned it up a bit but didn't get rid of all of it. Is there any chemical i can spray that will desolve the rust? Next time I'm under the car i'll take a pic.

As far as the kooks, I'll look into it, the pacesetters hitting the floorboard is driving me nuts. Even after bending the Y pipe. I know after awhile stainless steel does rust but not for a long time. My dad works with it all the time and knows everything about stainless. How much do the Kooks and Y run w/o cats?
Old 06-24-2004, 09:12 AM
Staging Lane

Well I tried the polish and it didn't work out to well. it's really rusted. I had some 800mm sandpaper and sanded off the rust and that still didn't get it off. I cleaned it up a bit but didn't get rid of all of it. Is there any chemical i can spray that will desolve the rust? Next time I'm under the car i'll take a pic.

As far as the kooks, I'll look into it, the pacesetters hitting the floorboard is driving me nuts. Even after bending the Y pipe. I know after awhile stainless steel does rust but not for a long time. My dad works with it all the time and knows everything about stainless. How much do the Kooks and Y run w/o cats?
Yes, even stainless will rust eventually but it should outlast the life of the car. The Kooks are on the expensive side, but I would suggest getting in touch with Matt @ TTP. He is a sponser here and offers the best pricing around for the Kooks. Whats important to keep in mind if you decide to purchase them is that you get what you pay for which is top quality in this case. They fit great with no banging issues, make great power, and last long unlike some of the other brands. You dont need to get them coated either.

Quick Reply: How to remove rust off coated Pacesetter headers?