Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what do you look for in a cam?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2016, 03:26 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what do you look for in a cam?

this might be a dumb question to most but when you get a custom grind cam what are you looking for? i assume all people say i want the most power through out the power band? Are they doing cam specs to match the heads? if so what do they go by? compression? flow? Sorry for all the newb questions but im building my car for the second time now and well i want a combo that works. my first build made 438hp 405tq (243 heads, tv2 cam, ls6 intake, 10.9cr) id like to be 450-500 this time.
Old 12-21-2016, 03:58 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Talk to an expert. For me it was maximum area under the curve in mid-high rpm range for track/auto x use, not too much lope to give things away, making as much power as possible with relatively smaller exhaust ports on my stock heads. You can say just 'max area under curve' but it really depends on where you expect to use it. I don't expect mine to come on hard under 3k, although coming from a 2L engine with less peak torque than an LS idling away, it will still feel like it does lol.

Cool part about a custom cam is they'll dial in most of these factors exactly how you want.

edit: yes they do cam spec to your head/CR/exhaust design even... when I sent mine away they had a very detailed list of technical questions to ask down to valve flow at various lifts...

edit2: I dealt with Kelford Cams as they are a local supplier and considering their cams power more than a few of the fastest cars in the world (with respect to particular models), plus many of our local drifters and race cars, I'm more than certain they know what they're doing. Very well known in Honda/Nissan and Toyota worlds.

Quick Reply: what do you look for in a cam?