Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Catch Can question on setup

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2017, 03:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Catch Can question on setup

Hey guys, so before I put to many miles on my newly built H/C 5.3. I would like to add a catch can to it before the intake gets gummed up with oil again. I am looking at the Elite E2-X and RX Modular Universal dual valve kits and was wondering which one you guys prefer and the best way to set it up.

The plan was to have it pull from the driver side valve cover rear PCV port as well as the passenger side valve cover front port and just block off the port on the intake tube. Suction port would be the existing fitting on the top of the intake manifold. Would I need a dual valve, for each line going to the valve covers?

Now for the setup on the RX Can with clean-side separator, from what I have read, the main suction line from the can would connect to the top of the intake manifold (where the OEM hose connects and goes to the driver side rear PCV port). Then run one of the hoses from the catch can valves to the driver side rear PCV port. Now replace the oil fill cap with the clean-side separator and connect it to the intake tube (which originally went to the passanger valve cover front port) and cap off the passanger valve cover front port. Now what would the second hose/valve on the Can go to at that point?

Either way, Elite E2-X Dual Valve for GM LS with Black Braided Hose or the RX by McNally Universal Modular 32 oz. Dual Valve Catch Can with Clean-Side Separator and Black Braided Hose are the exact same price at my local offroad shop, and they sell them for about half what the online retailers sell them for.

Last edited by 07NBSChevy; 01-14-2017 at 04:13 AM.
Old 01-15-2017, 03:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

any input?

I swear I out this in the Gen 4 External Engine Forum.
Old 01-15-2017, 09:08 AM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I got a lot of blow-by with my RX can. Put in a mighty mouse but no testing on it yet.
Old 01-28-2017, 04:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

be careful. RX has a chinese knock off that is pretty wide spread.

regardless of the brand you go with, install per the manufacturers instructions, do not try to get creative or you can damage your engine
Old 01-28-2017, 05:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by MIGHTYMOUSE
be careful. RX has a chinese knock off that is pretty wide spread.

regardless of the brand you go with, install per the manufacturers instructions, do not try to get creative or you can damage your engine
That actually makes alot of sense, i bought an rx catch can from what i swear was their website (I'll have to look it up), their mount was useless and the can was a pos, turned out to be totally hollow... i think i paid full price for it to....
Been wanting to make a thread about it but never got around to it.
Old 01-30-2017, 10:22 PM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I bought mine direct from colorado speed.

Quick Reply: Catch Can question on setup