Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust Questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2017, 03:06 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust Questions

I read some threads on exhaust on got confused. I'm wondering a bullet is first of all? Second I thought the lm2 was an exhaust, but it's a resonater so do you need an exhaust with it as well? Can I keep the stock exhaust and just add a cutout and put an lm2 on the cutout right before the axle? Will it sound good that way? Anyone know if a single gmmg sounds good? I mostly the chamber style with 2 couldn't find a youtube clip on a single.
Old 03-07-2017, 04:23 PM
11 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

A bullet is basically a glasspacked straight through muffler. They come in many brands and sizes.

A LM2 is an exhaust system which includes a bullet muffler (the LM1 is the same system with just a hollow resonator).

You can keep the stock exhaust and add a cutout, but it's pointless to have the cutout flow into a muffler or resonator of any sort. Basically it defeats the purpose.

GMMG sounds good with cats. With headers and an offroad catless y pipe it sounds like crap (my opinion).
Old 03-07-2017, 11:10 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 864 Likes on 660 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

A Loudmouth system without mufflers sounds like a loud dump truck. GMMG has a nice tone to it. Mad Hammer makes it now.
Old 03-08-2017, 01:29 AM
On The Tree

so the lm2 has a built in bullet muffler? I am looking to buy one and its just the lm2 itself no piping or anything so I was wondering if it goes behind the stock exhaust to change the tone or is its own exhaust were you would remove the stock muffler? Well I figured the cutout won't do anything on a stock car and everyone says the lm2 sounds good on a stock car so I figured I would keep the stock exhaust for long trips and then add a cutout with an lm2 for when I want to make some noise. I was looking at getting the gmmg muffler itself. A friend of mine is selling it for 60 bucks, but its just a one piece unit with no piping so I would have to make it myself. The gmmg exhaust I see in some threads has to units together so I am wondering will one unit sound good or will I need 2? any other exhausts sounds good on an all stock car? Looking for a nice deep rumble? watched a bunch of youtube vids, but most have a lot of mods that change the sounds so cannot really go off of that.
Old 03-08-2017, 08:58 AM
11 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

The Loudmouth 2 is a full catback exhaust system typically but it sounds like he has just the muffler.

The cutout will add power on a stock car by bypassing the restrictive factory muffler. It will also be louder but not deafening or anything.

Putting a cutout on with a LM2 is just added weight. It might also create clearance problems as that's a lot of crap to try to mount under a fbody which has limited space.
Old 03-08-2017, 02:48 PM
On The Tree

OK that makes more sense now. I wanted to do the cutout, but it doesn't seem like it sounds that good judging by youtube of course.

Quick Reply: Exhaust Questions