Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil leak 2001 SS

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2017, 06:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil leak 2001 SS

Hey guys. Just got a bit of an oil leak here. And when I say leak it leaks like a siv. It looks like it's at least around the pan somewhere but not sure. I think it happens after bottoming out but I couldn't see any cracks in the pan. Then again you can only see part of the pan. Any ideas? And how much of a pain is it to replace if that is the issue.
Old 03-11-2017, 12:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I'd recommend that you get under the car and wipe away all the dirt and see if there is anything obvious. I've recently found an oil leak on the passenger side, rear of engine. I wiped all the dirt off and traced the leak upwards, looking like it's coming from the valve cover. I'm planning on installing headers soon, and will get a better look at where specifically it's coming from. Doesn't seem like I loose that much oil though. good luck.
Old 03-12-2017, 09:32 AM
Launching!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Rear main seal is a pretty common one in my experience. Not hard to do just a pain since the trans has to come out. The oil level sensor is another possibility. It's plastic and could also come loose. I would do what was suggested above ^^^. Clean it really good and maybe start it up and let it idle for a bit. Get under and see what you can see

Quick Reply: Oil leak 2001 SS