Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil pan replacement, 2001 Camaro ss

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2017, 08:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil pan replacement, 2001 Camaro ss

Anyone have any tips on how to replace the oil pan? I believe it has a crack in it, and I'm not really trying to pull the motor and or trans to get it out. Thanks in advance!
Old 03-10-2017, 09:03 AM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 140 Likes on 117 Posts

You can get to all the bolts with the k-member in place.

So, drain all the oil, go ahead and unbolt everything and then see if you can work it out. You may need to unbolt a motor mount (I think driver-side was easier to deal with despite the steering rack) and push the engine up a little to make room to slide it out. (Can do this by jacking the bellhousing a bit - you only need a little room and you'll only get a little room before the trans hits the tunnel.)

It's not fun.

You can drop the pan down and pull it straight back if you get the motor up a tad.

One reason why I plan to do a tubular k-member. You can get to the pan and remove it easily.
Old 03-10-2017, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by JakeFusion
You can get to all the bolts with the k-member in place.

So, drain all the oil, go ahead and unbolt everything and then see if you can work it out. You may need to unbolt the motor mount and push the engine up a little to make room to slide it out. (Can do this by jacking the bellhousing a bit - you only need a little room and you'll only get a little room before the trans hits the tunnel.)

It's not fun.

To me, it seems easier to try to pull from the driver's side. Even though the steering rack is there, you can drop the pan down and pull it straight back if you get the motor up a tad.

One reason why I plan to do a tubular k-member. You can get to the pan and remove it easily.
How do I lift the motor? Since I can't lift it by the pan obviously. Thanks for the help
Old 03-10-2017, 09:10 AM

Actually you did tell me I didn't see that in the email. Thanks!
Old 03-10-2017, 09:15 AM
Teching In

http://www.harborfreight.com/1000-lb...bar-96524.html
Old 03-10-2017, 09:36 AM
Teching In

What I did was buy 6 longer bolts that are the same thread size as the k member to body bolts. Swap those over and thread the longer ones in a few threads and let the k member rest down on those. To get the motor mounts out, I placed a piece of wood right under the bell housing. Raise the engine some to be able to take the motor mount bolts out then raise the engine until it almost touches the cowl or your tranny touches the tunnel for clearance to remove the pan. This should allow you to remove the pan. Definitely takes some time, but not too bad as long as you're not in a rush.

Honestly, one of the harder parts for me was getting the sway bar bolts off in one piece because I wanted to reuse them. The rust got them pretty good.
Old 03-10-2017, 01:11 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 140 Likes on 117 Posts

Wonder bar is a good investment too.
Old 03-10-2017, 06:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JakeFusion
Wonder bar is a good investment too.
for the 3rd gen iroc z28 lol? can you specify this plz?

Quick Reply: Oil pan replacement, 2001 Camaro ss