Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cathedral Port Head Flow

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2017, 10:48 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cathedral Port Head Flow

I would like to know what section of the port opening has the greatest flow and velocity to the valve seat.
Old 03-31-2017, 01:02 PM
11 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

google (Sperry brothers gen III design).................
Old 04-01-2017, 01:36 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 799 Likes on 609 Posts

The bowl design determines flow to a large degree
Old 04-01-2017, 09:07 PM
TECH Resident

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by wannafbody
The bowl design determines flow to a large degree
Can you explain in your own words what this means please.
Old 04-01-2017, 11:13 PM
TECH Veteran

As I read it, that's where the majority of the improved flow comes from compared to a stock head, either aftermarket or ported. in the case of a stock head, removing the swirl port and enlarging the bowl and smoothing it.
Old 04-02-2017, 12:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,431 Likes on 991 Posts

Some of it depends on the application the head is ported to support. The short side radius is frequently different from drag race heads (usually no wing in intake port) and road race heads (often have wing in intake port). Part of that may relate to keeping fuel suspended if using a carb.

I will see if I can find some pictures...
Old 04-07-2017, 09:22 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Let me rephrase my question and be more specific . Im not asking how to increase flow or where to . My question is what section of the port Entrance has the greatest flow and velocity . From the entrance section and its path to the valve seat ? I have divided the port into 3 sections Upper is above Blue line , Mid above red line to the Blue line and Lower section below the red line to the floor.
Attached Thumbnails Cathedral Port Head Flow-ls1-intake-xcross-section.png  
Old 04-08-2017, 12:15 PM
TECH Veteran

I don't think there is an answer to your question because you can't flow test half or third of an intake port. The short turn radius is important, bowl is important and port volume to support your engine with good velocity. Too big of a port slows down airflow.
Old 04-09-2017, 01:45 AM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

The roof or top of the port is where most gains are made, above your blew line. Some of the best performing heads have the floor or bottom of the port epoxied.
Old 04-10-2017, 12:29 PM
11 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe69z28
Let me rephrase my question and be more specific . Im not asking how to increase flow or where to . My question is what section of the port Entrance has the greatest flow and velocity . From the entrance section and its path to the valve seat ? I have divided the port into 3 sections Upper is above Blue line , Mid above red line to the Blue line and Lower section below the red line to the floor.
The LS cylinder head was the first "clean sheet" design to work/flow WITH the intake manifold.....hence why I said to read up on the Sperry brothers
The injector location took priority, then the port shape came from creating as much volume as would fit between the push rods.
The engineers had dozens of air speed sensors in all kinds of areas of the intake tract, so they could accurately tell you the velocities and what not.
Their basic principal was to start with the largest cross sectional area at the lip of the intake runner then gradually reduce the CSA in order to speed the air flow and create both tumble and turbulence (and not too much of either)
All newer LS designs continue to raise the floor which straightens out the tract, as flow out the bowl/past the valve is where it's at.

Quick Reply: Cathedral Port Head Flow