Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Leak

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2017, 08:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Leak

I am leaking about a qt. every 800 miles. Of course the oil pan and all under car has oil all over after driving. The rear main seal was replaced about 18 mo. Ago(6000 miles). If I start it up cold after oil has dripped off overnight, there is a steady drip on passenger side dripping off I believe is transmission coolant line right at bend of line. I know the low oil level sensor is close, but I cannot see it from ground. Thanks for any ideas.
Old 04-26-2017, 03:26 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You really need to get under there and do a better job of inspection. Rear cover, rear main, oil pan. Also, the cam sensor o ring leaks at times. Spray it all down with brake cleaner so its clean. Get under there and let it run and maybe you con see where its leaking from.
Old 04-27-2017, 11:19 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a similar issue to this and it turned out to be the oil dipstick tube leaking. Worth taking a look at
Old 04-28-2017, 04:00 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1 on getting in up in the air so you can inspect better. Wipe it down the start looking for leaks.
I was just dealing with a couple of oil leaks. Doing research on here. I have fixed them(passenger side valve cover, oil pan bolts tightened and dip stick tube)

If leaks are on side(s) of oil pan it could be, cam censor o-ring, oil pressure censor, valve covers, crank censor o-ring, dip stick tube.
If leaks in front it could be front cover or front cover crank seal.
If leaks in back it could be rear cover or rear cover main seal.
Old 04-28-2017, 06:05 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you have oil leak prior to rear main seal replacement?
There a few places to check. Valve covers is one, make sure the gaskets are not pinched. Rear and front covers---rear seal, front crank and cam seals, oil pan, especially where it meets and level with front and rear covers, and last but not the least-dip stick tube.GL

Quick Reply: Oil Leak